question about start-up stihl ms290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bardos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been having this problem for a while now, some days it starts up fine... other days not. After not starting up, if I leave it for a day or so, it'll start up right away. Is this enough info to diagnose something? thanks

Yeah, those are the symptoms of a flooded saw. Not sure how you try and start it but the correct way is to put the lever on full choke and pull the rope until the saw sputters, then push the lever to the half choke position and pull the rope and she should purr to life.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think it is indeed flooded. But what you describe is exactly what I do...

Exactly as described above. Choke full closed and waiting for the splutter that never comes... if i get a splutter, I'm home free. I go up one notch and pull the cord again and it fires. np.

if i can make a recommendation, take the air filter cover off when you cant get it to fire and make sure your spark plug wire is completely over the plug. i had a 029 doing the same the same thing , i tried everything but accidently found that the plug wire was slipping off the spark plug sometimes, and making contact other times. it seemed as if it would fire at first it would run without problem. hope you get it figured out

After you pull the rope enough times to get it running but it don't go, it's probably flooded. So rest the bar on some wood and hold the throttle wide open with your right hand and crank that baby till it runs.
It WILL GO!!

It should pop on the first or second pull, try removeing the spark plug after the second pull and see if it's wet.

I have had trouble with the carbs in these saws, bad main jet check valves. Causes flooding in various degrees. Those valves will not take high pressure air or spray carb cleaners.

Yes, it is wet... and a smell of gasoline permeates the air. What more can you tell me about the valves? Do they need replacing often? Defective from the get-go?

My 290 would flood with more than 2 pulls on choke. Sometimes they're hard to hear cough (or just don't). Might not even need choke. Try less as opposed to more choke cranking and let us know.

I have a ms210 that you don't hear anything. One pull on full choke, then move to half choke. Fires up first or second pull. If you do more than one pull full choke it's flooded and won't start. Took me a few times to figure it out. My Mtronic saws run first pull every time.. .

The tech info sheets published by Zama and Walbro says that a bad main check valve will make a saw hard to start and poor idle but I had two that were flooding until I changed the carbs out with Asian knock offs from weedeaterman.com. No more issues. I have a 290 and a 310 in my shop now for repairs. The 290 is getting a new 390 engine but the 310 was bought off of ebay for cheap because of the same carb issues.

Quick C/L sellers for silly money, the homeowners love them- if they start right. Then I take the money and buy Husqvarna XP projects for me.... or 044's...

Latest posts

Back