Question for 090G owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The 090G IPL shows a cap that more or less seals the clutch pack inside the drum and protects it from the gearcase oil. My 090G lacks this cap. Is it truly necessary? Seems to me oil will get in around the drum bearing. Maybe at a slower rate, but it will get in.

If I can't find a part, I'm sure it'll be easy to rig something up.

Chris B.

Chris,
The 090g parts saw that I'm trying to rebuild doesn't have that cover either. Does yours use the gear reduction or the chain reduction?

My parts saw is the chain reduction. I was thinking that the early saws may not have had the clutch drum cover. Just a thought.
Travis

The 090G doesn't have a clutch. The "drum" mounts directly to the crankshaft, without a bearing anything, just the Speith adaptor and nut. As far as the cap on it, I can't really see what purpose it serves; if it wasn't made in Germany I'd say they had to have a reason for putting it there, but with them you wonder sometimes!

artie

I assume you already have the part number but if not it is 1109-162-2800. The latest price list shows it as NLA as of 6/22/2000. Now it is very possible your reginal dist. still has one around. They are a fairly simple part. If need be I can pull one of a 090G and send it to you are a pattern.

Bill

artie__bc said:
The 090G doesn't have a clutch.artie

Yes, it does have a clutch. In fact, it looks to be the same 6-shoe clutch as an 090D.

Travis, I have the gear reduction style, and that's one hell of an 090G you have on Ebay.

Bill, my dealer said the cover was NLA (big surprise) but I have another source I'll check before I consider fabricating one. I'll let you know.

Chris B.

I stand corrected, Chris. I was led to believe by someone that they were direct drive, and my parts manual doesn't show any clutch in the drum on the 090G picture, so I took this as gospel. my apologies.

artie

Chris,
I just got a contra G owners manual in the mail yesterday. The contra G didn't use the drum cover. So it may not be needed for operation.
Travis

tkemble said:
Chris,
I just got a contra G owners manual in the mail yesterday. The contra G didn't use the drum cover. So it may not be needed for operation.
Travis

Let's hope so. Otherwise I'll spend alot of time spinning my tires in the mud.

My 090G is turning out to be real nice. Doesn't look like it has ever been apart other than the gear case. Luckily, the .404 sprocket has very little wear. Only thing wrong is the crankcase is scarred up from chain throws, but the damage seems to be confined to the gearcase only. That was sealed up with orange permatex, but I'm going to redo it nicer and install the proper guard which will cover up the repair.

Later, Chris B.

Back