Question for guys that have been long time climbers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SustainableTree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How many of you that have been climbing for a significant amount of time (you decide if it's significant) have never been hurt? Let's call hurt going to the hospital or should have gone to the hospital/doctor. I guess I'm curious what my odds are over time! Been doing a little soul searching lately.........

Last edited:
I've been to hospital for a few stitches, and a minor impalement of a scaffold pole in my leg. I was on a fairly insignificant 'not very dangerous job' & rappelled off the end of a rope that didn't have a safety knot in the end because the tree seemed small and bingo, nice hole in my leg. Needless to say I have always tied a knot in the end of my rope since that day.

For your worries I think you are in most danger when you are complacent like I was because the job seemed easy, or the totally unpredictable (healthy looking diseased branch etc). If you're thinking danger you'll probably be safe

Been climbing for 8 years professionally with out anymore then some bumps, bruises and minor cuts but that just comes with the territory. (KNOCK ON WOOD IT WILL REMAIN THAT WAY FOR ANOTHER 30 YEARS)

About 18 yrs here too. I would also say the most important thing is keeping your mind on the job.

Mike

"Don't live your life for how many breaths you can take, but for the moments that take your breath away." Not my words, but good words nonetheless.

Don't worry about the getting hurt part. Do your job carefully and properly and you either will or you won't.

I have been climbing for awhile and have visited the hospital a few times, matters little. It's a good job.

Dave

I have been climbing for awhile and have visited the hospital a few times, matters little. It's a good job.

Dave

you are damn right about that, sir.

the odds are stacked against you in this work and you know that sustainable. best way to get the odds in your favor though is to take all the preventative measures that you can. be sure of what you are doing and know what you are up against. take your time too. and most importantly do your absolute best to leave all the non work related stress at home, that sh1t is what will kill you. allowing something to take space in your head while you are at work will lead to shortcuts and half ass efforts. taking away from your focus.

needless to say if you are stressed out, tired, in a hurry and not thinking clearly of what you are doing only bad things can happen.

you are damn right about that, sir.

the odds are stacked against you in this work and you know that sustainable. best way to get the odds in your favor though is to take all the preventative measures that you can. be sure of what you are doing and know what you are up against. take your time too. and most importantly do your absolute best to leave all the non work related stress at home, that sh1t is what will kill you. allowing something to take space in your head while you are at work will lead to shortcuts and half ass efforts. taking away from your focus.

needless to say if you are stressed out, tired, in a hurry and not thinking clearly of what you are doing only bad things can happen.

Thank you oldirty, leave it at home, let it go, easy to say, but true. I can add also, its the little things (or trees) that get you.

Don't ever let yourself get too "comfortable". A little nerves are good for you. So don't let that scare you off. Nerves keep you human and alert. No one is invincible and if you start feeling that way you're bound to get hurt. Been climbing for 7 years, ISA Certified and still get a little nervous the night before a big removal or complex trim job. Having said all this I've had one small injury. A couple stitches in my finger cause I was day-dreaming. That's it though. Stay safe, don't rush and have fun!

Been climbing almost eight years now with nothing too serious. You hit it dead on oldirty, keep your head on the job no matter what the distraction, especially the deliberately topless female kind! Almost fell outta the tree on that one. I also get a little restless and nervous before a difficult removal. Keep your head on straight and you will be fine!

as long as you're talking about climbing related only then I have 20 years no hurt while climbing but have several minor things on the ground.

I have been in the industry for 27 years. I will be 50 in Janurary.
I climb whenever I have to and work 40 plus hours a week. Drag brush, carry rounds out of back yards, whatever it takes.
I am a great climber.
However, in the last 5 years I have had shoulder surgery, knee, and hip surgery called Birmingham Re-Surfacing. This was more or less due to wear and tear.
I work out 6 days a week and live a pretty healthy life style.
I have never had any major work site injuries, but I have seen many.
I don't think of myself as lucky. I just put in the time to take care of myself..
Believe me, it is hard.
But I am happy, healthy, and will continue in the biz for a long time to come.

I have been in the industry for 27 years. I will be 50 in Janurary.
I climb whenever I have to and work 40 plus hours a week. Drag brush, carry rounds out of back yards, whatever it takes.
I am a great climber.
However, in the last 5 years I have had shoulder surgery, knee, and hip surgery called Birmingham Re-Surfacing. This was more or less due to wear and tear.
I work out 6 days a week and live a pretty healthy life style.
I have never had any major work site injuries, but I have seen many.
I don't think of myself as lucky. I just put in the time to take care of myself..
Believe me, it is hard.
But I am happy, healthy, and will continue in the biz for a long time to come.

I work out too and run and live healthy. 60 years old in couple of months. 40 years in biz. 2 falls, one bad (again, early on), 3 chainsaw cuts none bad. No permanent injuries. The danger is part of the attraction of the job.

Been climbing 25 years now . Never had a serious injury climbing.
I did have a bad accident w/bucket truck about 15 yrs ago. It was an old galopidated pc of ****. I never should have been in it to start with. Seemed ok at the time though. Lesson learned NEVER settle on your safety gear &climbing gear.... Others are 100% correct about having your head on straight,leave all the crap at home... Plan every move. If you don't know what a peice is going to do when you cut it ,stop until you do,take the time to think it thru.

Begining climbers;if a particular tree is beyond your capicity[you'll know it when it happens]as a climber,swallow your pride and walk away from it. As the exp. comes you can attack the narley ones later ,when you have the propper skills. No job is worth getting hurt for.

I really appreciate all your honest replies...........please keep them coming. You guys that are veterans have a wealth of knowledge and are inspiring. I think I understand what most have said about keeping your mind on the job and not taking it for granted. I like to try and think everything through, even on the simplest of jobs and I guess I wonder sometimes if the really great and fast climbers grow out of that and just operate on instict or sheer cajones. The other side of me that keeps me from ever getting too comfortable is the thought that one mistake could be my last. Don't get me wrong...I'm not operating in sheer terror :dizzy: or anything, that thought is always somewhere way back there though. Thanks again, I do really appreciat your replies.

I wonder sometimes if the really great and fast climbers grow out of that and just operate on instict or sheer cajones.

It's fast thinking, instinct, cajones, and physical ability that make the fastest climbers. You never grow out of thinking it through, you just get faster at it.

Visuallize and attack. You visuallize the job as a whole frome the ground, then you attack one operation to the next, as fast as you physically can. Don't let anyone fool you, the fastest climbers take bigger risks, and set a pace. Not out of control, but always knowing what you can get away with.

Of course, waiting on the groundcrew will kill production fast.

My brother, for istance is a very fast climber, he never stops moving until he hits the ground. When I run the ropes for him, not much communication is needed and things move very fast because I follow what he is doing and anticipate his needs. I never interupt his focus unless it is pertainent to the situation.

Last edited:
Back