Question for guys that have been long time climbers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM has a lot to do with safety and speed like you said. Earlier post said GM told climber he was taking out top he was tied to. I have started a notch. May have noticed without him.

The one bad fall I took was on a hot humid day in my first 5 years. I was free climbing my rope up a Norway maple in NJ (everybody used to do it early 70) when my feet went right out from under me like climbing a tree covered with ice and many of us have done that too (carefully tho). Fell 50 feet. Half way down landed on my back and that broke the fall. It also broke 3 ribs. Being the tough guy in front of the GM, I worked the other half day. That night rolling around in bed, still no hospital yet, I punctured my lung was coughing blood and couldn't breathe and had to go. I had to lay off for a while. Back then they put you in a girdle for ribs. Laughing, sneezing etc. no fun at all. Oh, I fell when I slipped on a big succulent patch of lichens.

Being reckless and inattentive sure are going to result in an accident but stuff happens by surprise and if you want assurance you won't ever get hurt to give to your wife and kids this is the wrong line of work (climber, daily).

The guy that helped make the vid series "The Art and Science of Practical Rigging" died while they were filming when a tree fell over he was in. It gives a blurb about him in one tape. I have been in a thousand trees that could have fallen over thru the years and some that had huge cracks or were already fallen over and just laying on a house or another tree. Never was in a bucket for the first 20 years.

I really appreciate all your honest replies...........please keep them coming.

I did not read all the posts so here is my $0.02 (how do we code in the cent symbol here? Howabout a smiley for "My 2 cents" :laugh: waving two pennies over it's head)

Longevity in the industry has a lot to do with genetic and physical makeup. I've known a number of people who wished they could stay, but found they could not. Others found that they could make more money doing other things. (Now that construction has fired every third man THAT is not a problem!)

Many move into other aspects of the green industry after a number of years climbing, some seek out sales positions with larger companies. Some go into small engine repair.

Those that stay in will often do dumb things that take them out for long periods. I've known a number. One of the big firms statistics show that the injury/fatality curve is bell shaped, peaking around 8 years. Where competence often is overcome by over confidence.

John Ball's research shows that it is often little mistakes that bite us. Foregoing redundancy in our positioning/safety system for momentary expediencies. Case in point, most falls happen when a climber changes his climbing line without setting a secondary tie-in.

I think everyone who has climbed for any length of time has at least started to cut out his TIP (;)), or caught herself leaning back unsecured.

The thing to do is know yourself, where are you strong, and more important, know your weaknesses. Ingrain into yourself a habit of triple checking; looking up, down and all around.

If you plan on this to be a profession, then train so that you will limit the chances of injury. To avoid the rant, I'll just list some of the things to avoid, or at least use as the exception, not as the SOP.

Onehand saw work, free climbing, expecting tops to brush by you. Above all, rushing through a job.

Last of all, never take family issues up into the tree with you, both the good and the bad. I've seen problems with both fights the night before, and really good loven.

Our job is not risky all the time, but it sure is often. Keep your ego in check and your mind on the job and you will last a long time.

About 18 yrs here too. I would also say the most important thing is keeping your mind on the job.

Mike

I have to admit that I tend to think about all sorts of things other than climbing alot of times. Only after I get my TIP secured and the main rigging line in however.
Most of the time I stay tied in twice when running a saw, this is important. Of course I've been at this for a while now so I usually know most of my cuts from the ground - unless its a pretty bad a$$ed tree.
I like the violence of a big takedown and really running hot up there with a good crew below. Big cuts and deadwood raining down and still missing things kind of turns me on also.
Having a bigger chipper finally really helps take alot of aggravation out of takedowns.

love the sport & the past 50 yrs. have been enjoyable . Now 64 & still love a challenge. Injuries amount to a few fractured ribs ( early '70's ) a few hand-saw knicks & a climbing spike in my foot. Will climb safely as long as my health permits. Just a little slower & more careful.
I hope that sums it up for you. Good luck !!!:agree2: :agree2: :clap:

love the sport & the past 50 yrs. have been enjoyable . Now 64 & still love a challenge. Injuries amount to a few fractured ribs ( early '70's ) a few hand-saw knicks & a climbing spike in my foot. Will climb safely as long as my health permits. Just a little slower & more careful.
I hope that sums it up for you. Good luck !!!:agree2: :agree2: :clap:

There's a video link in today's NYT's on an 85 year old mountain climber!

And the dude looks pretty lean mean and agile to me!

jomoco

I would love to be 60 and still climbing...............to steal part of my own post....how many of you work out and what do you do to taylor your workouts for climbing? I'm in good shape, pretty lean (6'2"-185lbs give or take) but would like to take preventive measures for the future. Thanks again.........you guys are awesome! :clap:

I`ve been climbing for twelve years without an injury( a few scrapes and bruises but nothing that a band-aid couldn't't fix) my bosses son who started climbing at the same time had his first this year. His problem is he has to much on his mind and rushes to make the money faster. It was a good chance for me to rethink a lot of my actions, especially since i had to go and finish the job( could still see the blood all over the tree). He smartened up pretty quick but is almost too cautious.
as far as staying fit I just keep active in the winter and do alot of stretching

I cut my leg the first year pretty good. I've gone about 10 since then. Some hedge shears bit me a little in the leg a couple of weeks ago. I was walking while shearing volunteers near a fence line near my ankles and it hit some big wood (for shears) and quit moving- I didn't. Basically a (big) band aid took carte of that. I have a nine month old son now and I think about stuff more than I used to. For example, I don't feel guilty about spiking a rotten silver maple if I have to do top work. I look at it this way... The silver IS GOING TO DIE, and presumably I have many years. It the lesser of evils.

But I digress...

Kevin

three years of residental tree climbing

I have climbed a little logging sports and high angle rescue for a lot longer.

If i missed someone else pointing this out sorry; I learned in the rescue world a few important things worth knowing as a new climber to keep you safe.

Practice knots, techniques etc before applying them real world. For example, If you think you will release a prussic knot as your plummeting to sure death think again, not with out practicing that unexpected scenario.

No one goes over on a rescue until a someone different vets the systems and knots. Amazing how many times some one f's something up. Can't say enough about having another climber with you to vet you.

When I climb with out another climber I have mental checks list for my gear or before I do certain things. Example knocking out a top, TIP out, 2cnd tie in, targets clear, people out, fuel in saw. shortened to= tip tie target tiny tank [people are tiny from up high!] Make up whatever you want that is easy to remember, It may seem silly but when your tired hungry dehydrated at the end of a long day it may very well save your bacon.

The checks will eventually become as second nature as climbing. As pointed out by JPS, the climbing as "second nature" state is the point in your career when you can forget to do something critical.

Its not my idea either it comes from the aviation world where missing something like the landing gear not being down on approach [it happens], has dire consequences.

Skilled folks get hurt all the time in this game, just bumped into a Bartlet guy at the doc office this morn, chat turned to our injuries then others. skilled fellow just had his face degloved [skin off] by a snagged top he cut out, another a few years ago clipped into a small branch [thinking it was a D] leaned and fell 80, landed on brush and lived amazingly. Point being you rarely read about this in the papers but it happens fairly regularly. Keeping your head in the game is paramount but no guarantee.

Last edited:
Well in 24 years I have had four stiches doing tree work and
some bothersome back pain! I when on the ground and younger
seemed to be a walking disaster meaning: I up my awareness
for the task at hand but step in armadillo holes on the freeking
ground! I have had close calls though and with heightened
awareness and adrenaline instinctively knew what to do.

a few stitches a bad back, Lyme's disease and arthritis every-where

a few stitches a bad back, Lyme's disease and arthritis every-where

Is arthritis caused by it I have it bad some days.
Another disease I have from this career is brown lung
breathing in fine dust of hardwood will take its' toll
on you believe me respirators should be worn imo.

Lyme's causes arthritis, THC reduces the symptoms

You wear a resperator?? What hard woods other then Oaks, & Sycamores are bad to breath??

You wear a resperator?? What hard woods other then Oaks, & Sycamores are bad to breath??

All dust that is fine over periods of many years the
lungs lose the ability to expel I have been brewing
concoctions out of yucca and other plants to help
me. I have a permanent wheeze and every time I
cut it seems to get worse this happens over many
many years!

All dust that is fine over periods of many years the
lungs lose the ability to expel I have been brewing
concoctions out of yucca and other plants to help
me. I have a permanent wheeze and every time I
cut it seems to get worse this happens over many
many years!

Got it. I try to were a dusk mask when I am planing, jointing, sanding, etc.. in my wood shop but never when cutting outside with a chainsaw.

Got it. I try to were a dusk mask when I am planing, jointing, sanding, etc.. in my wood shop but never when cutting outside with a chainsaw.

It is worse on dry days and not everyone is going to be affected.
I have been around dust too much as my first full time job was working
in a grain elevator at age 16 and then worked in a cottonseed mill
and then a grinding shed so have breathed in many materials in my
life!

Btw a mask really helps little unless you are meaning
respirator those little hospital masks do not get the
fine dust microscopic that cause the problems I paid
big bucks for mine and it will work for asbestos!

Last edited:
Back