Question for the old guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best way I've found to deal with the Carpal Tunnel symptoms (and most joint pain) is with high doses of B vitamins.Sounds crazy I know,it just works.Pick up a bottle of B-150 (Mega B complex) and take one a day.They are big and smelly and knock out the pains.After a day or two of taking them you will think you're cured.
But B vitamins are water soluble and they are "washed out" of your system in 24 hrs.(Your urine will look like Prestone antifreeze as they pass through.)You have to take one everyday or the pains come back.Cheap and effective,give them a try you'll be glad you did.

Went to the neurologist yesterday, had the nerve/muscle test done (pretty shocking!), and diagnosis is the Ulnar nerve has gotten wrapped around, or is in the way of my elbow, some mild carpal tunnel syndrome, with a side order of arthritis thrown in.....test results will be sent to my PCP. Doc says surgery to relocate the Ulnar nerve can be done, but arthritis is pretty much here to stay.

My doc says arthritis never goes away. He also says the worst thing one can do about it is to not use the affected areas, to keep on using them and that will delay worsening. He also suggested try the chondroitin/glucosamine approach and I picked up a couple big bottles at Costco. After a few months of that, big help, so far [it's in my fingers]. Apparently it helps some folks, does nothing for others. Clinical trials are across the board. Luckily, it seems to help me. I have cut down the duration of my sawing to half what I used to. No big deal for me.

He said the bad sad cases he sees are people who quit using the areas affected and things get worse in a rapid sequence.

You younguns will laugh at this now but give it a few years and you'll be searching for this thread. lol

Like a lot of you probably do...I suffer from arthritis. It's pretty bad on my whole right side (shoulder all the way to ankle) and one of the worst spots is my right wrist. I try to wear a brace on it to help some but I have trouble finding one that is durable enough. The ones I use are like the carple (sp?) tunnel braces with a metal piece that goes on the inside up into my palm. I wear a glove over the brace but they still don't last very long...running a saw is about as hard on it as anything. Sometimes it seems they don't really make anything for a working man. Have any of you with wrist problems found something more durable?

Thank you for any help. (And we forgive you kids for snickering.) lol
braggs apple cidar vinagar works wonders

Use a little WD - 40

Hey guys been looking thru this thread and wondering if ya'll realize what will happen if you get a serious cut while taking ibuprofen and aleve. Few years back I had been taking ibuprofen and aleve in rotation for wrist and shoulder pain, "lack of log splitter". Well I was pretty hot and fixing barb wire fence, needless to say one pretty good cut lead to a serious bleed. Now it wasn't even a stitches needed cut but my wife who is a nurse blamed me for taking the pain relievers. No kidding I bled like a stuck hog. So now I am reluctant about takin pain relievers and sawing. I know, I know this is not what we want to think about but it can happen.

I have found and this is going to sound weird but you can spray WD-40 on some joints (wrists, knees, ankles, etc), and it will really help with inflamation. What are the long term effects? I'm unsure but it sure helps when you can't hardly move 'em anymore.

Oh and by the way Ibuprofen will shoot your liver to crap. I've had tick fever twice and dislocated my left ankle and foot real good. My liver may have suffered the most thru these ordeals.

Try a tbsp of honey and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon 2-3 times daily. Works for me.

Hey guys been looking thru this thread and wondering if ya'll realize what will happen if you get a serious cut while taking ibuprofen and aleve. Few years back I had been taking ibuprofen and aleve in rotation for wrist and shoulder pain, "lack of log splitter". Well I was pretty hot and fixing barb wire fence, needless to say one pretty good cut lead to a serious bleed. Now it wasn't even a stitches needed cut but my wife who is a nurse blamed me for taking the pain relievers. No kidding I bled like a stuck hog. So now I am reluctant about takin pain relievers and sawing. I know, I know this is not what we want to think about but it can happen.

I have found and this is going to sound weird but you can spray WD-40 on some joints (wrists, knees, ankles, etc), and it will really help with inflamation. What are the long term effects? I'm unsure but it sure helps when you can't hardly move 'em anymore.

Hey, I don't know about the WD-40, but you're right on about the ibuprofen and aleve. Part of my PPE is a first aid kit with some rubber surgical tubing. Makes a great tourniquet. Also some antibiotic powder you can dump right on a wound to prevent infection. Hope I never have to use 'em, but I carry them just the same.

Tylenol is FAR worse on your liver than Motrin. Motrin is also a stronger anti-pyretic (fever) and an anti-inflammatory. Motrin is superior in every way, some people just need to eat or drink milk as it can upset your stomach. As far as being a blood thinner that is correct. You should be able to safely take up to 1000 mg of Motrin (ibuprophen) a day, check with your doctor first though for drug interaction. Being in pain constantly is bad for you, mentally and physically. Not getting help with a doctor or being afraid of Motrin is just crazy.

My post recommending the B-150 is going to work for getting your joint pains under control.Pick up a small bottle at Walmart.Give it a try,I've seen guys take them for a day or two and feel great so they stop taking them.The symptoms are back within a day or so.You have to take them everyday as I said before,B vitamins are water-soluble and "wash out" of your system in 24 hrs. or less.
In a related matter,the best hand lotion for dried out and cracked skin is from Walgreens.It's a house brand called "Healer Hand Lotion".An old time formula with camphor,ammonia and glycerin.Apply it in a well ventilated area,it will clean out your sinuses too.
These health tips come from 35 years in the tire building business,one of the most body destroying occupations you can have.It will wear out every joint in your hands,arms,shoulders,back and knees.Most builders have a bottle of "Healer" in their toolbox,and once they try the B-150(a few skeptics and hardheads are pretty hard to sell) they keep them handy too.
As I said before,try it you'll be glad you did.(And remember to take them everyday.)

My post recommending the B-150 is going to work for getting your joint pains under control.Pick up a small bottle at Walmart.Give it a try,I've seen guys take them for a day or two and feel great so they stop taking them.The symptoms are back within a day or so.You have to take them everyday as I said before,B vitamins are water-soluble and "wash out" of your system in 24 hrs. or less.
In a related matter,the best hand lotion for dried out and cracked skin is from Walgreens.It's a house brand called "Healer Hand Lotion".An old time formula with camphor,ammonia and glycerin.Apply it in a well ventilated area,it will clean out your sinuses too.
These health tips come from 35 years in the tire building business,one of the most body destroying occupations you can have.It will wear out every joint in your hands,arms,shoulders,back and knees.Most builders have a bottle of "Healer" in their toolbox,and once they try the B-150(a few skeptics and hardheads are pretty hard to sell) they keep them handy too.
As I said before,try it you'll be glad you did.(And remember to take them everyday.)

I think you just about talked me into trying the B150. I usually don't fall for a lot of that snake oil sales pitch...but you convinced me that it works. Thanks. I also glad to see somebody else uses hand lotion. I started using it a few years ago after my wife kept INSISTING. My hands used to get so bloody in the winter I couldn't even stick my hands in my pockets without it drawing blood. I like a lotion that isn't greasy, though - I want it to dry quick so my hands aren't slippery. And I don't want it to have any scent either. Some of that hand lotion makes you smell like you've had a lube job in a San Francisco hot tub club

I think you just about talked me into trying the B150. I usually don't fall for a lot of that snake oil sales pitch...but you convinced me that it works. Thanks. I also glad to see somebody else uses hand lotion. I started using it a few years ago after my wife kept INSISTING. My hands used to get so bloody in the winter I couldn't even stick my hands in my pockets without it drawing blood. I like a lotion that isn't greasy, though - I want it to dry quick so my hands aren't slippery. And I don't want it to have any scent either. Some of that hand lotion makes you smell like you've had a lube job in a San Francisco hot tub club

You'll like B-vitamins for energy also. They kinda help me feel a bit younger, for that reason. Just don't go apesh#t with them, there is such a thing as vitamin-B toxicity.

This is a REALLY good thread. Glad you brought it back, Porch. It's really strange that we ignore our own health on such a fundamental level. You fellows have inspired me!

I definitly relate to this thread...after 35plus years of riding & racing dirt bikes, 15 in the heavy Equipment/Truck world/Farming, and now 10 years of frequent saw work....my fingers go numb riding my dirt bikes and running the saw which vibrate. Also I did the standard route with the doctor pointing me to a orthopod type who did the shock test and diagnosed me with CT. BUT A couple of things come to mind:

1) For back issues. All the core suggestions are dead on and I will add one. When I was in my 30's and 40's riding bicycles was the best therapy for me. I don't know why but when I was doing two 20 milers a week...I had NO back issues. Part because the belly shrank, part because of the core and part because of the stretching & flexibility forces by that activity.

2) BEFORE you go with CT surgery ..take one more step. Make sure your neck isn't the issue. Mine is. Too many years of dirt bikes, heavy equipment, and truck driving years and the disc has failed and impeeds on the nerve that goes to the hand. Presents like CT but while I may have CT as well..its a neurological issue because of neck issues. So many do the CT thing and find only a part sollution after spending their 6wks of sick time and recovery to find they still need the neck issue solved. Trust me on this one. Force the evaluation of the neck as well. Symptoms....waking up with a numb hand, roll over on your back and the hand comes back in seconds...stuff like that.

3) My hobby is morphing from Big Old American Iron to newer smoother saws. I will keep a few Homies that I just like (800-925's; 1020-1130's) but its Jonsereds for the future growth of my saw habbit. As was said before, find a smooth running saw for your work. Three come to mind for me. After all the hate posts, my Husqvarna 455 is about as inocuous as they come. I do a tremendous amout of work with that slug of a saw and it doesn't wear me out at all. My Husqvarna 365 is the same way. Smooth. When I want to show the iron...my Homelite 903 is (believe it or not) as smooth as the new saws..just naturally ballanced right I guess. The smoothest "cool" pro saw I have personally run is a Stihl 441. I haven't run new Jonsereds yet but have the newer Husqvarna's. But for real work..spend the time to find a smooth running saw. It really can be the difference between a full day's work and a few hours with pain.

4) Don't stop living life to the fullest. Nothing like riding fast to make the pain not a focus. When you can't ride the dirt bikes anymore...collect saws!

Last edited:
Try a tbsp of honey and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon 2-3 times daily. Works for me.

The first half, honey, is easy to change over to with morning coffee, and maybe a cup of non-caffeinated tea before bed.

Firewood is hard on the body. I've found its better to stack two pieces, one on the other, and pick up with both hands from the side, than pick up one piece in each hand. Takes away a lot of the torque/ strain. If you know that it is what gets you, work smarter by warming up, cooling down, stretching, and STOPPING BEFORE YOU HURT. It will still be there later in the day or tomorrow.

WATER WATER WATER.

Stretching, search on youtube for some good stretches for hands. Stretch your whole body. Learn from animals, watch your dog/ cat. They get up and stretch.

Thanks for the b150 advice.

Yoga seems a little foofy to some, but think about it without the macho crap, would your rather be a tough old guy sitting around in pain or be able to put your foot behind your head at 60.

There is the Zone Diet. Its basic premise is that food is regarded as the strongest drug you can take, and have to take a couple times a day. The books that I've read can seem infomercially, but I've seen people that are 50 perform like their 20, with NO ibuprofen.
Its not something that has to be done religiously, you can even eat a Zone appropriate meal at Burger King.

Peppermint oil rubbed in topically can help inflammation.
Hand lotion means giving yourself a massage, which will help in many different ways.

Here is a little more info on the "Healer Hand Lotion" from Walgreens.It is a Walgreen product,but you'll probably have to turn the store "upside down" to find it.It's a little 6 oz. bottle,"plain jane looking" and usually on a bottom shelf.
When you use it,just a small amount goes a long way.If your skin is badly cracked and raw,be prepared to get "lit up",it burns like the devil for about a minute.After that initial shock,the pain is gone and it leaves your skin soft.
There is not much smell to it at all after you rub it in.(It's good for regular cuts and scrapes too,if you're man enough to use it.It's strong stuff.)
For the ladies,it also takes care of cracked heels.Seems like my wife uses it a lot these days,must be weather related in some way.
Any of you that try the B-150,please report back here in a few days with your results.Whether good, bad or indifferent I'd like to know how it works for you.

Last edited:
Yes, don't knock the yoga...A buddy of mine does it, was a home builder for a lot of years, started driving big rigs a couple of years ago...works for him.

Tylenol is FAR worse on your liver than Motrin. Motrin is also a stronger anti-pyretic (fever) and an anti-inflammatory. Motrin is superior in every way, some people just need to eat or drink milk as it can upset your stomach. As far as being a blood thinner that is correct. You should be able to safely take up to 1000 mg of Motrin (ibuprophen) a day, check with your doctor first though for drug interaction. Being in pain constantly is bad for you, mentally and physically. Not getting help with a doctor or being afraid of Motrin is just crazy.

I didn't mention tylenol cause it doesn't seem to work for me. I agree Tylenol is worse on your liver. My wife is a RN and she say if it doesn't work don't use it. Pain killers don't work for me either (even keep me awake) so I've really used alot of Motrin over the years. Sorry didn't holler back sooner.

Any of you that try the B-150,please report back here in a few days with your results.Whether good, bad or indifferent I'd like to know how it works for you.
Since you asked:

You talked me into it and I've been taking them every day for a couple of weeks. So far, the only thing I can say for sure is that you were right about the Prestone antifreeze. Other than that - no relief on the joint pain and arthritis. I'm gonna keep taking them until they're all gone and I'll let you know if there's any change.

Latest posts

Back