Questions about a cs 600

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd get the 361. I bought a MS 362 a few month back and I was also comparing the Echo 600p. Ended up getting my MS 362 because of excellent service, support and prices from the Stihl dealer. picked up my 362 fro $550 + tax and received 2 extra chains and other small goodies. It runs like a little beast with 20" bar.

I thinks having a good dealer is important, whose knowledgeable and honest and timely in ordering or having stock on hand- luckily, that's what I have with my dealer.

Regards,

valleyboy

Sold some 600 echo saws they start real good cold or hot. and if richen up the carb they cut very well and are very smooth in the cut. So far I have had zero trouble with them. And at $400 I need to be buying them for someplace else because that is below dealer cost.

Sold some 600 echo saws they start real good cold or hot. and if richen up the carb they cut very well and are very smooth in the cut. So far I have had zero trouble with them. And at $400 I need to be buying them for someplace else because that is below dealer cost.

u can find them on ebay for 400ish, brand new. pretty crazy cause at our dealer theyr runnin close to 600 bucks

Echo echo echo...

"I opted fer the 600p. Easy startin in all weather really attracted me. Plus new with 5 yr. warranty helped with the disicion too." :)

Last edited:
Can't say I ever ran one, but they sure seem like a good saw. Nice choice.

You made an excellent choice. I really like mine with a 20" b/c.

"Hey miking, did u adjust u'r carbs so it's not so lean, as sum suggest on here? Do a muffler mod? And how do u suggest breakin it in? Thankee!" :popcorn:

decent saw, ships lean

Very nice saw at competitive prices new compared to those top name brand "pro" saws. Whatever you do, wherever you buy it, take it to a dealer, pay him his vig, and have it tuned first/adjusted. Then follow the breakin advice, and take it back again for a retune after that period. They are just too lean outta the box, probably from having to meet EPA regs.

Don't ask me how I know this..good thing I bought two...learn from my mistake. But now I know, so things are much better (thanks to this site actually, I've learned a lot here)

Incredibly easy to start saw, BTW. Pull choke, yank, it runs. Mine starts that easy even without using the decompression valve button.

I personally don't think I would want to run the 27 inch bar very hard or all the time though, in hardwoods anyway, and I haven't tried it at all in any big pines so can't say really. Probably no more than the 24 in anything (even though they say it can run the 27..why beat on the saw??), with the 20 it is pretty good as a firewood saw, perhaps an 18 would be even better. I have no experience with the longer bar, but with the stock 20 it seems just about right, so why push it, you can cut rounds of hardwood with it heavier than most guys can pick up, so what's not to like? Seems plenty powerful enough, and if you follow through with the dealer adjustment and stuff, they have a spiffy five year homeowners warranty. You really want to run a much larger bar all the time, you most likely really need a larger displacement saw like in the 80 cc class.

Biggest secret to effective chainsawing is keep them things clean, CLEAN them after use, well mixed fuel, as in shake it up real good before using, don't use mix fuel that is all that old, as in at least every month get some fresh stuff, and get the appropriate round and flat files and learn how to keep an effective sharp chain. A guy with an itty bitty saw and a really well maintained chain will out cut a much larger saw with a dull chain. Seen it too many times, guys on jobs I was working (back in the day) trying to sand paper their way through logs, can't stop and put a fresh loop on or touch up the chain. The echo I got is my first true mid range saw, and I cut for years with little under 40 cc saws and cut a lot of mambo stuff with them, just because the chains were sharp and I know not to push things. Let the saw cut, you don't need to do much else but steer the things..heh.

This is interesting

Be aware, ECHO will not honor the warranty on equipment bought from individuals on eBay.

There's a lot out there now, on ebay and elsewhere, say amazon and on craigslist, new in the box, for very cheap. So where are those people getting brand new factory echos? If they are selling them cheap, they must get them even cheaper in order to turn a profit.

And as to the warranty and so on, why is echo factory letting them out the door to any of these downstream distributors who aren't official dealers? How is this happening, anyway?

Now I haven't done it with mine, but it just seems to me if you took it to a factory dealer nearest to you and had them set it up before first run "officially" and paid him his price, wouldn't that count? This could be an interesting court case I think, about honoring warranties or not for obviously pristine "new in the box" stuff with all the paperwork and warranty card and so on intact.

There's a lot out there now, on ebay and elsewhere, say amazon and on craigslist, new in the box, for very cheap. So where are those people getting brand new factory echos? If they are selling them cheap, they must get them even cheaper in order to turn a profit.

And as to the warranty and so on, why is echo factory letting them out the door to any of these downstream distributors who aren't official dealers? How is this happening, anyway?

Now I haven't done it with mine, but it just seems to me if you took it to a factory dealer nearest to you and had them set it up before first run "officially" and paid him his price, wouldn't that count? This could be an interesting court case I think, about honoring warranties or not for obviously pristine "new in the box" stuff with all the paperwork and warranty card and so on intact.

Most of them are stolen from Home Depot and being fenced on eBay or other online websites. No dealer could sell them at the prices they're going for, not even Home Depot.

ECHO clearly states in their warranty statement that it is valid only for equipment purchased from an authorized dealer, and also to the original purchaser only. If you cannot show proof that it was purchased from an authorized dealer (which would include Home Depot), ECHO does not have to honor the warranty even if it is new in box.

Thanks for the information

Most of them are stolen from Home Depot and being fenced on eBay or other online websites. No dealer could sell them at the prices they're going for, not even Home Depot.

ECHO clearly states in their warranty statement that it is valid only for equipment purchased from an authorized dealer, and also to the original purchaser only. If you cannot show proof that it was purchased from an authorized dealer (which would include Home Depot), ECHO does not have to honor the warranty even if it is new in box.

Ya, I know that about the warranties, etc, although some places you don't necessarily need the receipt. It is quite an involved legal subject. In echo's fine print they state they can't necessarily deny you coverage without a receipt, although it is implied they proly would (translating lawspeek).

Companies can put all sorts of things in warranties or end user license agreements or non compete employment contracts, etc., that might not necessarily be legal or fly in some states or areas.

As to them all being like stolen goods, would you have a reference for that, or is that anecdotal from being in the business, or what? Does echo or home depot pursue these sellers on ebay? Appears to be a *lot* of them.

Ya, I know that about the warranties, etc, although some places you don't necessarily need the receipt. It is quite an involved legal subject. In echo's fine print they state they can't necessarily deny you coverage without a receipt, although it is implied they proly would (translating lawspeek).

Companies can put all sorts of things in warranties or end user license agreements or non compete employment contracts, etc., that might not necessarily be legal or fly in some states or areas.

I understand that certain laws and provisions vary by state, but that is beside the point. My only objective was to point out that ECHO's warranty statement does not cover products sold by individuals or non-authorized retailers.

As to them all being like stolen goods, would you have a reference for that, or is that anecdotal from being in the business, or what? Does echo or home depot pursue these sellers on ebay? Appears to be a *lot* of them.

Obviously not every single one of them is stolen. However, I'm 100% sure that no retailer could acquire them at a price as low as they are going for on eBay and still make money. I do not know if Echo or Home Depot is pursuing any at this time. A few years ago there was a big bust on a fencing ring that was having (among other things) Echo equipment stolen out of Home Depot and selling them on eBay. They got busted after they stole a whole tractor-trail load of Echo chainsaws and listed them on eBay. It's obvious that this is still an on-going problem.

Latest posts

Back