Questions about bar switch Stihl 026 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylourgos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently have a 20”, 3/8 pitch bar and want to switch to a 16”, .325 pitch. I happened to find an old Farm Boss 16” bar at a flea market in good shape whose other relevant stats are. 325 pitch, .063 gauge, and 74 DL. Most of the chains I’m finding that match those stats are intended for 18 inch bars. Am I correct in assuming that’s OK, and that the Farm Boss bar is simply a bit wider than most 16” bars and therefore requires more DLs?

Should I skip this bar and look for a more conventional 16 inch bar that takes fewer DLs? Do you know of any specific bars that work well with the 026 pro?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

I currently have a 20”, 3/8 pitch bar and want to switch to a 16”, .325 pitch. I happened to find an old Farm Boss 16” bar at a flea market in good shape whose other relevant stats are. 325 pitch, .063 gauge, and 74 DL. Most of the chains I’m finding that match those stats are intended for 18 inch bars. Am I correct in assuming that’s OK, and that the Farm Boss bar is simply a bit wider than most 16” bars and therefore requires more DLs?

Should I skip this bar and look for a more conventional 16 inch bar that takes fewer DLs? Do you know of any specific bars that work well with the 026 pro?

16" with 74 drive links is a mismatch as you've discerned. A 3003 bar for the 026 in .325 x .063 should use 67 links.

Pics of the bar?

upload_2019-7-9_11-19-23.jpeg

I’m beginning to understand that I must have misread about the number of Drive links. I think I transposed a line in a chart somewhere because 74 is correct number for 18”, but I need 67 for the 16” and it should work fine, correct? Also will I need to change out my drive sprocket?

The bar you pictured appears to be exactly what you want/need: 16" and .325 pitch. It calls for 67 drive links and the gauge is .063". While the paint job shows some wear, the bar looks to be in pretty good shape. You might use some calipers to check the separation between the rails to make sure it is not a lot more than .063".
From an Oregon bar manual:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 9.32.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 9.32.12 AM.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 11
The bar you pictured appears to be exactly what you want/need: 16" and .325 pitch. It calls for 67 drive links and the gauge is .063". While the paint job shows some wear, the bar looks to be in pretty good shape. You might use some calipers to check the separation between the rails to make sure it is not a lot more than .063".
From an Oregon bar manual:
any idea what the KL means after the .325? i looked at some of my stihl bars and none have any letters. Thanks.Inkedupload_2019-7-9_11-19-23_LI.jpg

I am not sure but from a little search it means chain pitch in Danish from the word kædedeling.Not 100% sure though.

Tune up the bar and match sprockets to chain. IMHO that is the best bar/chain for that saw, get a stihl chain

Tune up the bar and match sprockets to chain. IMHO that is the best bar/chain for that saw, get a stihl chain

Thanks for the good advice, I’ll take it! And thanks to everyone in this thread for reducing the strong likelihood of my mistakes and frustration.

Thanks for the good advice, I’ll take it! And thanks to everyone in this thread for reducing the strong likelihood of my mistakes and frustration.

Oh, I meant to ask: why Stihl chain specifically? Aren’t Oregon chains pretty good too? I am sometimes tempted to get cheap chains from Amazon or eBay simply because I manage to mangle chains “experiments” in sharpening—So I’ve considered them sacrificial. Interested in your take. Is there a narrow kerf chain available for this bar that’s not too expensive ?

Will do. Is this the correct one? Oregon 11892 .325-inch Radially Ported 7 Tooth Power Mate Rim Spline https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SCLULW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wlEjDbEHT5KQP
First, are you sure your clutch uses the spline rims and is not a spur drum? You might need more than a rim.
Second, the 026 uses Stihl's spline clutch drum "special"mini hub. You need a rim specifically sized for 024, 026. Pretty sure the one you linked to on Amazon is NOT the right size.

First, are you sure your clutch uses the spline rims and is not a spur drum? You might need more than a rim.
Second, the 026 uses Stihl's spline clutch drum "special"mini hub. You need a rim specifically sized for 024, 026. Pretty sure the one you linked to on Amazon is NOT the right size.
Oregon rim will not fit an OEM Stihl mini drum but Oregon does supply complete sets, drum and rim that will fit the Stihl 024 and 026. Otherwise its a mini OEM all parts, good question also if it has been changed from a spline drive or not, pics needed.

Oregon rim will not fit an OEM Stihl mini drum but Oregon does supply complete sets, drum and rim that will fit the Stihl 024 and 026. Otherwise its a mini OEM all parts, good question also if it has been changed from a spline drive or not, pics needed.

I’m at a conference now and won’t be back until Friday, but I’ll check and post a picture then. Thanks!

OK here is a picture of my 026 pro sprocket as currently set up:

upload_2019-7-11_19-14-48.jpeg

OK here is a picture of my 026 pro sprocket as currently set up:

View attachment 746429

Yes that`s a rim drive, now remove the E clip and washer, then remove the rim drive sprocket, that may be a Stihl setup or an Oregon one, the drive splines on the drum are different sizes.

Latest posts

Back