Questions on Mini's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticknstring

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a used mini. I have demo'd a Dingo 420 tracked machine, and am getting ready to look at a Ramrod 900T. I've read lots of the threads on mini's previously, lots of good info in those threads. Looking for some info on the pros and cons of these two particular machines. The dingo is tracked while the Ramrod is wheeled. Both are gas. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Dingo's lift height. Not sure what the height of the Ramrod is yet. Info on them is a little harder to find. The Dingo has around 600 hours on it, the Ramrod is supposed to have about the same, but it is a guess by the owner as it has no hour meter. I haven't seen it in person yet to see if the hours seem to fit the condition.

Anyone have any first hand info on how these two compare? Problems to look for on either machine? If I was buying new I'd probably go with a tracked machine, but not sure if wheels should rule out a good deal on a used one. Anyone have any experience with the tracks that go over the wheels? The machine will be used primarily for the typical stuff, forwarding brush to the chipper and loading wood on a trailer. Might possibly do some light landscaping. I assume the tracks would be much better at digging.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I have no real insight I guess because I don't own one, I do however have some thoughts.

I drove one and passed on the deal because I thought it was too slow, lacked lift height and capacity. It was a Bobcat MT55 and boy did it ride rough and wasn't too turf friendly either. After driving it I had a lot more respect for the wheel mini's because they must be smoother and not be so prone to rocking back and forth as a track machine will.

Like I said, I don't have one but run a skidsteer and compact tractor for all my work. Usually, I can back the chipper to most of my brush piles and the yards don't usually have small gates and such for access.

I guess if you are always in super tight access areas you would need one, if not, I think there are better options.

I bought a s600tx last spring it has the highest and most lifting compacity. Bobcat is close but vermeer lifts a little higher. When I have more time I can tell you more or you can pm my. I spent three months last winter researching them, it has to be the best money I spent on something. I love my mini!View attachment 200213

When you first get on one they are a little jumpy just like any loader but once you get the hang of it you can run it real smooth.

Sorry, but I can't speak of the dingo or ramrod as I've never driven those machines.

I own a Thomas 25g. It is a wheel model and I have a bucket and BMG for it.

The wheel models are better on turf (less damage) than track machines when you are turning.

One thing to remember, is that these are mini skid steers. Don't expect them to lift a ton into the back of a large dump truck. They don't have the capacity or the height. They are not the best at digging into hard soil as they don't have alot of downward pressure. My Thomas is not a rocket, however my buddies Kanga is pretty fast (sometimes it is good to be fast, sometimes not).

They are great at dragging brush, moving trailers, chippers, towable lifts, etc., lifting chunks and small logs, getting through small gates. Hope you get the idea.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I'm happy with mine. My goundsman are even more please when we can use it on the job.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
You've probably read my opinions on minis since I tend to chime in on just about every conversation about them... ;) that said, I'll give my 2 cents. dingo 420 IMO is not as smooth as a bobcat mt52 or ditchwitch sk500. Of the smaller gas powered minis, I highly recommend the sk500 tracked machine - great lifting height and easy to control. Of the bigger diesels, the sk650 cannot be beaten. Not the tx600 nor 800, not the boxer 532dx, not the mt55. Ditchwitch is really a great machine all around. As for wheels vs tracks - tracks can dig up lawns more than grass but try driving a wheeled machine over mud or other soft grounds with a load or try driving over a log or curb without getting hung up. Tracks rock for those situations.

The dingo 420 IMO is better suited for running attachment - not so great for moving material. my .02.....

Also, regarding speed = bobcat reverse speed sucks. slowest out there. DW and boxer are 4mph both reverse and forward. very snappy. one more reason I like DW as all=around best mini out there.

AP

Thanks for all the info. I ended up buying the Ramrod. I couldn't pass it up for the deal I got. I think it's going to be great for what I need it to do. Only came with a smooth bucket, so now I'll be figuring out the right grapple for me. Probably grab a set of forks to load logs right now, and then start shopping for a grapple.

It has a learning curve on operating it. I about threw myself off the back a couple times before getting the hang of the controls. THey are very sensitive. The first ten minutes was pretty bouncy and jerky, especially with no load on the front. Didn't take too long to get the hang of driving it smoothly.

View attachment 200516

Here's my 2 cents. Why pay rediculous coin for a mini, when you can get into a bobcat 4 series for a quarter of the money? I just pulled the trigger on a super nice 453 with 1400 hrs, and with the grapple, I'm into it for 3600 bucks... Albeit, I got a smokin deal, but I've seen others in really good shape for around 6-7K. I just could NEVER justify the money spent on a mini, when there are options such as the one I just spoke of available.

And let me save you the trouble of arguing the point that you can do more with a mini... EVEN IF, that's true, the difference is certainly negligible, nd would NEVER make up for the huge difference in cost.

EDIT: I could justify spending the money on a mini, when I have too much money just sitting around in the bank and have bought every other conceivable tree related item for my business.

Last edited:
minis are good but thier really exspensive for what they are 20+ thousand for one of those things?
i think i paid 37k for my skidsteer new. with a climate controlled cab and can lift 3000 over 10-12 feet. the problem i see with them is how high they lift enless your loading a trailer i dont have a truck that they will load.

i use a john deere 2305 very small tractor but will still lift around 1000 pounds 8 feet. probably isnt much wider than a mini and also cheaper. brand new i think it was 17k with the front loader and a belly mower for my yard. has turf tires and 4 wheel drive.

whats the lifting compacity one one of those things? 5-6 hundred? even a 20 inch large oak round would probably flip it. because my tractor gets put to its max. seems like you would still have to do alot of cutting.

we also use the bobcat to bring trees closer to the chipper we can drop a large maple and drag it for 100's of yards in a few sectioins right to the chipper.

minis are good but thier really exspensive for what they are 20+ thousand for one of those things?
i think i paid 37k for my skidsteer new. with a climate controlled cab and can lift 3000 over 10-12 feet. the problem i see with them is how high they lift enless your loading a trailer i dont have a truck that they will load.

i use a john deere 2305 very small tractor but will still lift around 1000 pounds 8 feet. probably isnt much wider than a mini and also cheaper. brand new i think it was 17k with the front loader and a belly mower for my yard. has turf tires and 4 wheel drive.

whats the lifting compacity one one of those things? 5-6 hundred? even a 20 inch large oak round would probably flip it. because my tractor gets put to its max. seems like you would still have to do alot of cutting.

we also use the bobcat to bring trees closer to the chipper we can drop a large maple and drag it for 100's of yards in a few sectioins right to the chipper.

EXACTLY....... They are cute machines, but as far as I'm concerned, for tree work, they are an over priced novelty.

Last edited:
Damn... that is a sweet deal for that bobcat... I would definitely not pass that up.

It all depends on the type of work you do. I do mostly residential city stuff. My options are generally the log cart/ wheelbarrow or the mini. I will choose the mini every time. It can't lift a ton but it can lift a hell of a lot more than two dudes can, and it can do it all day long without complaining. It is decent to turf and fits through gates, can't complain about that, though sometimes I really wish I had the lift capacity and height of a bigger machine.

If you have a branch manager type grapple and a big chipper a mini is an extremely efficient brush dragger.... better than any two groundmen I know.

If you don't have to deal with a lot of fences, small yards, walkways, etc then a bigger machine is definitely the way to go.

Damn... that is a sweet deal for that bobcat... I would definitely not pass that up.

It all depends on the type of work you do. I do mostly residential city stuff. My options are generally the log cart/ wheelbarrow or the mini. I will choose the mini every time. It can't lift a ton but it can lift a hell of a lot more than two dudes can, and it can do it all day long without complaining. It is decent to turf and fits through gates, can't complain about that, though sometimes I really wish I had the lift capacity and height of a bigger machine.

If you have a branch manager type grapple and a big chipper a mini is an extremely efficient brush dragger.... better than any two groundmen I know.

If you don't have to deal with a lot of fences, small yards, walkways, etc then a bigger machine is definitely the way to go.

Yeah, it was... I sold the backhoe it came with and made a few hundred, so that factors into the price I paid.... I agree with what you've said above, but I can get *PRETTY MUCH* anywhere the mini can with my machine too. 36 inches wide when I take the dual tire set up up front down to one...

Last edited:
I wonder what the actual lift capacity of that machine versus most minis is. Is that just a 15 horse motor? For the price you can't go wrong but I think most minis pack a little more punch. Your lift height is probably better though.

I wonder what the actual lift capacity of that machine versus most minis is. Is that just a 15 horse motor? For the price you can't go wrong but I think most minis pack a little more punch. Your lift height is probably better though.

Lift on the 453 is 700lbs, and 92 inches of lift height, (pretty sure that's stronger and higher than most minis don't quote me on that though) and I've actually lifted more, VERY CAREFULLY. It does have the 15 horse, and moves around a job site faster than necessary at full RPM. The only disadvantage so far would be getting in and out, where on a mini you just step off.

And I haven't even touched on the fact that in the winter and rain, with an enclosed cab and heater, it makes outdoor work a tad more enjoyable. Plus the machine can double as a snow and ice management machine. Try that out with a mini in a snow storm and get back to me ;-)

Last edited:
the mini I run has a 24 horse motor, so it is probably a bit better for running attachments. I think you have 10 inches or so on me for lift height and the working capacity is of the sk500 is only 500lbs lift. I really prefer a side by side comparison though with the lift capacity, you never can tell with the manufaturers number. Because of the balance of your machine you may get a bit more, though I have a big step on mine and have been known to have a few guys standing on it to get that last stump piece into the trailer at the end of the day.

the mini I run has a 24 horse motor, so it is probably a bit better for running attachments. I think you have 10 inches or so on me for lift height and the working capacity is of the sk500 is only 500lbs lift. I really prefer a side by side comparison though with the lift capacity, you never can tell with the manufaturers number. Because of the balance of your machine you may get a bit more, though I have a big step on mine and have been known to have a few guys standing on it to get that last stump piece into the trailer at the end of the day.

The 453 is not hi-flow and the 15.7 horses run the grapple PDQ. As for something like a stumping attachment, I don't know. I do know however, it will be a rare occasion when the grapple bucket comes off, so running anything other than a set of forks, or a smooth bucket is of no concern for me. If I laid sprinklers or was doing fences, I would be, but I don't.

And I haven't even touched on the fact that in the winter and rain, with an enclosed cab and heater, it makes outdoor work a tad more enjoyable. Plus the machine can double as a snow and ice management machine. Try that out with a mini in a snow storm and get back to me ;-)

Don't take my seemingly negative attitude towards minis the wrong way. I have no outside financing, and believe that every piece of equipment I invest in should be able to maximize profits. I just don't feel that a mini in regards to tree work does that. The positive cost/benefit ratio is not there.......

Last edited:
I understand the differing opinions on what equipment works best for everyone. I would not have considered buying a new mini and paying the prices they go for. I could never justify that. I think I got a great deal on the Ramrod based on what I see other used mini's go for. I gave $3,400 for it. It is rated to lift 900 lbs. Haven't had the opportunity to test that in the real world just yet. Even if it sits in my shop regularly I think it's going to be well worth the expense. I have a few jobs lined up right now that it will save me tons of time and back breaking labor on.

This is my first mini and only time will tell if it will be the perfect fit for me. Even if I decide it doesn't do what I want, I should be able to turn it around and make money on the resale.

I understand the differing opinions on what equipment works best for everyone. I would not have considered buying a new mini and paying the prices they go for. I could never justify that. I think I got a great deal on the Ramrod based on what I see other used mini's go for. I gave $3,400 for it. It is rated to lift 900 lbs. Haven't had the opportunity to test that in the real world just yet. Even if it sits in my shop regularly I think it's going to be well worth the expense. I have a few jobs lined up right now that it will save me tons of time and back breaking labor on.

This is my first mini and only time will tell if it will be the perfect fit for me. Even if I decide it doesn't do what I want, I should be able to turn it around and make money on the resale.

If it runs and cost you only 3400, then I have no argument LOL. Good job.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. That is a damn good price. I have heard that the ramrod is the heaviest lifter of all the minis. You are gonna love it, it saves so much back ache and time. Can't go wrong with that investment, it will pay for itself in months. The way I look at is it basically replaces one to two groundmen or roughly 2-500 bucks a day that you use it. Minus fuel, maintenance and whatnot. They pay themselves off quick, especially when you get a screaming deal like that.

Latest posts

Back