Questions on Mini's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some guys love snow removal, I hate it! Ya theres money in it but I perfer my nice warm bed at night. They can have it!

Some guys love snow removal, I hate it! Ya theres money in it but I perfer my nice warm bed at night. They can have it!

Snow = money. I won't bash a guy for wanting to diversify and use his equipment to its maximum potential. Duticorse has a point about having a cab in winter - yes, it is nice to get out of the elements and sit in a warm cab. That said, that is the only reason I would want a 400 series over a mini skid. I just can't justify crawling in and out of that tiny cab just to stay warm during snow removal and then have to be cramped and hot all summer long during tree work.

As for the arguement that a mini costs too much at $30k... I agree but, who the hell pays $30k for a mini skid? A brand new sk650 is $20k right now (only bad thing is the long waiting period) and I buy and sell used dingos, bobcats, ditch witches, and boxers all the time for well under $10k. Just sold a real nice dingo 425tx wide track for $7k and a like new (97 hours) bobcat mt for only $12,500. You don't have to buy a new mini skid to own a reliable piece of equipment. When I started using mini skids in my area, hardly anyone else was using them. Now, I'm starting to see them everywhere - electricians, masons, landscapers, plumbers, farmers. Some are using the machines and attachments I've sold and others have caught onto the mini skid craze by other means but they are really starting to become a prominent piece of equipment in my town and I don't think it's because they are an overpriced joke.

Duticorse likes his 400 series. I prefer a mini skid. Somebody else swears by his AWS300. What works for one may not be the solution for another. To each his own. But I guarantee you, the mini skid is here to stay and the improvements in power and capability are just going to get better as time goes on.
AP

My business plan could not afford even a $20,000 mini. I came across one with a BMG and a smooth bucket for $5,500. For that kind of money it was a no brainer.

I'm sure your smaller Bobcat fits your business well Duticourse. What are those things worth new? Would your plan have seen you purchasing a new one?

I would love a T190 to go along with my mini, but I'm considering a towable lift as my next purchase. (used of course).

My business plan could not afford even a $20,000 mini. I came across one with a BMG and a smooth bucket for $5,500. For that kind of money it was a no brainer.

I'm sure your smaller Bobcat fits your business well Duticourse. What are those things worth new? Would your plan have seen you purchasing a new one?

I would love a T190 to go along with my mini, but I'm considering a towable lift as my next purchase. (used of course).

No, my plan was never to buy new. I actually have an aversion to new equipment... I respect the use of mini's and do see their load lightening value. As I said before, I have no outside financing, so everything I purchase comes after a LOT of thought regarding how I can whore it out in every capacity to maximize earning potential. My argument was never that minis suck, just that perhaps there was a more economical way to go given the options available.

the first one i bought was a brand new t190 but told the dealer ill go with a tire machine thier alot cheaper i went with a s250 it was under 40g's if i remember correctly i run my stumper off the front of it.

for some reason the lifting compacity on tracked machines is lower than thier tire conterparts.

tracks= 10k on the price tag.

Everyones business model is different.

Before I got on the Fire Dept. (long time ago), I used to work for a guy who had a contract removing the snow that the plows left in front of the bus stops. We used 753's with heated cabs. Can't imagine doing that without heat. He also had a city contract in the spring using the bobcats to sweep the sidewalks. His sidewalk contract covered his expenses for the year, so the winter work (or anything else) was gravy. I understand what you mean by maximizing your equipment.

The reason I was thinking of a tracked machine over a wheeled one is I figured they would get better traction on the steep hills around where I do a lot of my work. Right now it's just wishful thinking. I only buy when I have the $, and when I save enough, I may get a towable lift.

The wife, on the other hand, may have other plans. :)

Wow te whole MINIS ARE A JOKE THING IS FUNNY , Mine is 3years old and has more than 2,000 hours on it already it never misses a day of work and is cheap to maintain , cheap enough that I am now looking at the 950 T track machine , I want it so bad that I can taste it , if I hit another triple with snow this year in the spring I will be buying one and a decent 12" chipper ... I wouldn't want to ever have to work without a loader again just seems dumb ...

Wow te whole MINIS ARE A JOKE THING IS FUNNY , Mine is 3years old and has more than 2,000 hours on it already it never misses a day of work and is cheap to maintain , cheap enough that I am now looking at the 950 T track machine , I want it so bad that I can taste it , if I hit another triple with snow this year in the spring I will be buying one and a decent 12" chipper ... I wouldn't want to ever have to work without a loader again just seems dumb ...

I think I'm gonna pick one up this week.

I think I'm gonna pick one up this week.

I paid 13K brand new with forks and bucket .. The 950t used that I want is only 8k with the bucket forks and and a auger for planting trees there not that bad really it has paid for itself at least 2xs , I don't even run my 7753 anymore unless its snowing and the case 1865 hasn't seen the light of day since march of this year no need ...

Latest posts

Back