quick question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistaare

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS 260 and it is starting to lose power (it has only cut between 8-10 cords so far). It has a new chain and new bar but this past weekend I tried cutting some Poplar and Ash rounds and the chain would just stop. The engine wouldn't die or bog down but the chain would. I first thought it might be the air filter, but the engine isn't cutting out.

I noticed it when I was cutting up oak tree while it was partially submerged in water (getting a kayak hazard out of the way). I did not submerge any part of the engine but chain/bar was submerged quite a bit and splashing a lot of water.

Any inout would be greatly appreciated.

First thing I would do is make sure its oiling the chain by pointing the tip close to a light colored object like a cardboard box and run it WOT for a few seconds. You should see a fine spray of oil on the box if its oiling correctly. If its not, pop the bar off and clean the oil passages out real good along with the bar groove.

If its oiling correctly, then I would take a look at the bar groove and drive links. Submerging the bar might have gotten the bar groove and drive links rusty.With the chain slightly loose, you should be able to pull the chain around the bar by hand.

Also possible I guess you got enough water up into the clutch and with enough slipping it glazed over. does the chain turn freely by hand when loose?

Last edited:
I am interested to hear how this turns out as cut trees out of creeks regularly. I always dry it by running it in dry lumber before putting it away though.

I am interested to hear how this turns out as cut trees out of creeks regularly. I always dry it by running it in dry lumber before putting it away though.

you say chain is new but is it possible its somewhat dull? along with what the others have posted dull chains make clutches slip. ask me how i know. a lesson i manage to relearn couple of times over. touch your chain up.

Chain on backwards?

Clutch sounds like it is slipping. Weak or broken spring?

Jerry - thanks, i didn't even think of checking bar oil.

You guys confirmed what I thought. The clutch is slipping.

The chain is not dull, its still spitting out big flakes.

Thanks for your info guys.

wouldn't a broken spring keep the clutch from disengaging? but not from engaging?

My brain is slipping, yeah a broken spring keeps the clutch engaged.

On my 346xp I actually broke the piece of the drum the engages the rim. So the chain kind of spun until it met any resistance. Outboard clutch so different story, but that's where I'd be searching.

Is the chain on the drive sprocket? I would check that first. The chain would spin without pressure on it but stall out when it hits the wood. You said the engine doesn't bog down, this would do it if the chain was between the clutch drum and the sprocket.

Welp, I took it to the dealer today. He took the chain, bar, and sprocket off, probed around a little bit. He then looked at the chain, asked if I pinched the bar (of course I did), ran it through the sharpener real quick and sent me on my way. Before he sent me away he took it in the back, tested it out and said it was fine. Best of all, he didn't charge me!!! I tried to pay but he refused. Hopefully I will get to try it out this weekend.

:clap:

Welp, I took it to the dealer today. He took the chain, bar, and sprocket off, probed around a little bit. He then looked at the chain, asked if I pinched the bar (of course I did), ran it through the sharpener real quick and sent me on my way. Before he sent me away he took it in the back, tested it out and said it was fine. Best of all, he didn't charge me!!! I tried to pay but he refused. Hopefully I will get to try it out this weekend.

:clap:

How was your engine not bogging down?

That's what I was going to say to check the bar groove/rollers for debris.
Water oil and sawdust can quickly jam up the bar groove and rollers and you get the same effect as if your chain is on to tight.
Runs fine and dandy but when you put cut pressure on the chain it cuts like a dog or chain even stops.
If you continue trying to cut it's clutch city as it overheats.

Start it up spin up the chain so it just turns and put some clean water on the bar and on the rollers at the front of the bar and that usually clears it up.

I stick the end of my bar in a clean bucket of water and run the chain real slow when it happens to me.
Then when I get home I have already had a shower and the bar oil residue in the bucket lubricates me at the same time :)

If that doesn't work then you got a crud new bar.
Ask for a replacement.

Last edited:
Back