Quick Stihl 011 Roller bearing question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickhamWood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, the short version is I put a new two ring piston in a 011 I had purchased in the spring as a parts saw this evening. I also had a 012 tore down nearby on my workbench and after I reassembled both saws. I found a roller bearing (from the 011) stuck to the underside of my magnetic parts tray... So I have already put the saw back together, ran the saw, and now I know it is one bearing short on the rod... I assume I need to tear down the 011 and put the roller bearing in, but maybe one of the seasoned Stihl guys on here can affirm it is okay to run one bearing short??? Wishful thinking on my part.

I bought this saw in the spring and it was just a bunch of parts in the case with a bar and a few chains. I figured I would keep it around as a parts saw and ended up putting it together and getting it started with the original scored piston. I could never get it running quite right. Last night I tore it back apart and went to the Stihl dealer down the road from me and he had a OEM two ring piston with two rings instead of the original one and he sold it to me for $20. As I have never taken a saw apart this far I let all of the roller bearings fall out when I was disassembling and I did not count them so it was not apparent I was missing one. A true learning by doing situation...

It won`t run long with one missing bearing.
I figured as much, getting those bearings in there was a real task. I will pull it apart and try to get it in there. If I did not get such a good price on the Stihl piston, I would not have even put this saw back together. With a 012 I already have a tiny saw to fill this role. It was just bothering me having one laying around that would not run. Thank you for your input pioneer!

I figured as much, getting those bearings in there was a real task. I will pull it apart and try to get it in there. If I did not get such a good price on the Stihl piston, I would not have even put this saw back together. With a 012 I already have a tiny saw to fill this role. It was just bothering me having one laying around that would not run. Thank you for your input pioneer!
Does it have a 2pc rod and loose needles?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Trick is to keep the crank at bottom dead center to prevent the rod sliding off the rollers.
A strip of copper sheet to load the bottom half of the rollers. Use thick grease.

View attachment 870859

A wide rubber band cut and held with a surgeons clamp. Set in the rest.

View attachment 870860
Holding crank at BDC.
View attachment 870861
View attachment 870862
Wow, this is a far better method than what I was doing. I just put a good amount of high temp grease on the crankshaft and then set them on one by one, then used a small dental pick like tool to reach around the bottom of the rod and kept pushing them back up against gravity. I will snap a picture of the tool the dealer let me borrow and post it. It is pretty handy for keeping the rod from moving off when you are taking the piston off or putting the new one on. Unfortunately, this being my first time doing this, I did not know that all those roller bearings were going to go flying if the rod was not somehow held in place. Rookie mistake, and I am hoping I will not let it happen again.
Thank you for the detailed pictures!

This is the tool the dealer loaned to me. He said he has had it longer than I have been alive and fortunately, he has never used it.

Attachments

• 212E55F3-2266-4F8F-B9A5-D826C0B83B60.jpeg
    212E55F3-2266-4F8F-B9A5-D826C0B83B60.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Back