Quick trailer/hauling question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the single biggest part of braking safely is a competent driver that is aware of his surroundings and knows how to handle the extra weight. dont rely on your trailer brakes to make you able to stop just like the empty pickup... just tossin out the disclaimer here

how much tongue weight is that single axle going to have I know they are alot more than tandems so you have to figure that as well I know a couple guys that bought singles and wish they went with a tandem because of the tongue weight I do know somebody that has a 6x10 dump and pulls it with an s-10 with know ssues he just makes sure he doesnt over load it and 4 brakes works better also just something else to think about

how much tongue weight is that single axle going to have I know they are alot more than tandems so you have to figure that as well I know a couple guys that bought singles and wish they went with a tandem because of the tongue weight I do know somebody that has a 6x10 dump and pulls it with an s-10 with know ssues he just makes sure he doesnt over load it and 4 brakes works better also just something else to think about

Tongue weight was something I have thought about. I figured if either (utility or dump trailer) is weighted down with 1/2-3/4 cord of wood it should be between 3000-3500 lbs (I know there are A LOT of variables with that), 10-15% of that SHOULD be the tongue weight. That would put it at about 300-400 pounds. i figured that would be do able. Please let me know if I am missing something. Tandem trailers are way out of my price range, $3200 for a dump trailer is more that I originally wanted to pay, but it people like them THAT much more than regular utility trailers I could justify it. Well, justify it to myself, my wife doesn't care which one it get!

:msp_biggrin:

Has anyone had any luck with old military trailers? I see them on CL all the time for around $700. They look heavy, 3/4 ton axle and a pintle hitch. They dump by setting the trailer brake and backing up the tow vehicle. Some come with sides too.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I have a 5' by 8' and a 6' by 12' dumping trailers.

I notice the 6x12 has more tongue weight than the 5x8, I really need to pay attention to how I load the weight on the bigger trailer.

My 5x8 is a 6000lb single axle trailer, empty weight is 1450. I have high enough sides to put in a cord of wood, wet or dry. I have loaded it with upwards of 3 yards of topsoil before, hauled it fine and dumped it fine. That being said, i was using on 06' v-8 silverado. Plus side with this trailer, a cam, is that it is essentially the same as the 3000lb one with no brakes. Mine weighs probably less than 100lbs more and has breaks. You can tow it fine with your pickup; if you are worried about how the truck sits, put on an extra stack of leaf springs. I put on a second stack from jc whitney, about $300 and a saturday morning with a friend took care of it. Now when I tow my 6x12 with 2 full cord of wood, the truck looks like it is sitting with no weight in the trailer.

I have both dump trailers and my dump truck, once you go dumping, you won't want to go back to the old fashion way, well worth the extra money.

I have a 5' by 8' and a 6' by 12' dumping trailers.

I notice the 6x12 has more tongue weight than the 5x8, I really need to pay attention to how I load the weight on the bigger trailer.

My 5x8 is a 6000lb single axle trailer, empty weight is 1450. I have high enough sides to put in a cord of wood, wet or dry. I have loaded it with upwards of 3 yards of topsoil before, hauled it fine and dumped it fine. That being said, i was using on 06' v-8 silverado. Plus side with this trailer, a cam, is that it is essentially the same as the 3000lb one with no brakes. Mine weighs probably less than 100lbs more and has breaks. You can tow it fine with your pickup; if you are worried about how the truck sits, put on an extra stack of leaf springs. I put on a second stack from jc whitney, about $300 and a saturday morning with a friend took care of it. Now when I tow my 6x12 with 2 full cord of wood, the truck looks like it is sitting with no weight in the trailer.

I have both dump trailers and my dump truck, once you go dumping, you won't want to go back to the old fashion way, well worth the extra money.

Thanks, this is the kind of input I was looking for.

I already replaced the leafs on my truck. I put an Add-a-Leaf on the stock leafs and when loaded with wood (about a face cord) it still hit off the bump stops.

The fact that I cant find a 5x8 dump used is either telling me that a) there a very small market and nobody buys them or b) people that buy them dont get rid of them!

The fact that I cant find a 5x8 dump used is either telling me that a) there a very small market and nobody buys them or b) people that buy them dont get rid of them!

i think both are true. around here i don't see many and the people taht have them use them and don't want to get rid of them. i will also agree with what most people are saying. get the biggest you feel comfortable with (safe) and use it. OR get a bigger tuck and a bigger trailer and then the whole thing spirals out of control

... get the biggest you feel comfortable with (safe) and use it. OR get a bigger tuck and a bigger trailer and then the whole thing spirals out of control

5x8 SOMETHING is my comfortable limit. My truck is paid off and it needs to last MANY more years.

Bigger truck... Not going to lie, when I see a nicely priced F250 I can't help but think "hmmmmmm???"

:)

5x8 SOMETHING is my comfortable limit. My truck is paid off and it needs to last MANY more years.

Bigger truck... Not going to lie, when I see a nicely priced F250 I can't help but think "hmmmmmm???"

:)

where in the NE are you i have a 97 PSD 4x4 i would like to sell :msp_biggrin: i think you could swing a 6x10

I think the main reason to get a dump trailer would be if you ever have any need to haul anything other than wood. I have a 6x12 double axle trailer that is rated at 3 1/2 tonnes full (UK Legislation) and I find that its much easier to handle the wood from the trailer deck than it is to tip it on the ground, then bend my back to pick it up again.
With a big trailer, I don't have to load it to the max to spare my truck, but if I need to haul something large like 16' waste slab wood from the mill I can do.

A dump trailer is great for loose materials, but for wood work you are just pulling additional trailer weight for no real benefit. The ifor williams trailer I have has removeable sideboards that makes it really easy to unload. I have a couple of dump trailers that I use on the farm and are great for soil and loose materials, but I always take the Ifor on a wood jobView attachment 275898

I picked up for real cheap a back half of a 1 ton dump truck that has been made into a dump trailer. Has a toolbox on the front that houses the battery and controls. Best $100 i've ever spent. I fill it completely up and it pulls great. Doesn' t look real nice, but gets the job done. Hauled 4 loads of oak with it today. Just back up to the pile and dump and go. SO damm easy! You wont regret it.

Latest posts

Back