rakers??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlin

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
When u sharpen a chain is it wise to file the rakers? I never done it myself but have seen folks do it. My chains seem to cut just fine without filing the rakers

They sure won't when your teeth get small, rule of thumb is .025-.030 below the tops of your cutters, with racing chains I think they get even lower. Rakers control the amount of chip taken (thickness and length) and if you don't look after them you'll soon be making dust and working too hard too. There are several threads on AS discussing this I believe so a search is in order (I'd hunt a couple down for ya but once again my search function seems to be pooched).

:cheers:

Serge

I usually take two swats on the rakers every other sharpening, Keeps the chips flying nicely:)

I usually take two swats on the rakers every other sharpening, Keeps the chips flying nicely:)
Lol, Now that you mention it, if I don't have my FiloPlate around I do 1 swipe on the raker for about every 7-10 strokes on the tooth, it can get dicey and chattery though if its not kept even :D

:cheers:

Serge

Haha! I figure I'd take it easy on him....On my 395 with the 28" bar on it, 6 or so on the rakes really makes for love!:cheers:

Less hp = less off the rakes:clap:

Last edited:
thanks guys. Guess it takes so long to dull a chain where im from i never had to worry about it. Mostly cut pine back home. Lots of hard wood around here. Makes everything different

Back