Random question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, i've heard that the Stihl MS 391 is a pretty much one of the worst chainsaws from Stihl and im curios to know if thats true.I dont wanna buy a 391,thats just a guestion for general knowledge.(sorry if i wrote that one wrong)

So, i've heard that the Stihl MS 391 is a pretty much one of the worst chainsaws from Stihl and im curios to know if thats true.I dont wanna buy a 391,thats just a guestion for general knowledge.(sorry if i wrote that one wrong)

I rented one before I got my 441 and it was underpowered.

Homeowner saw...generally overweight and underpowered compared to the professional line...however, I wouldn't call it the worst saw Stihl makes...

Not sure what saw I would give that name to....most of them are OK at worst.

You've heard. You are trying to validate what you've heard. The MS391 is a great powerhead with up to a 25" set-up. When asked to run longer set-ups, the performance is understandibly lack-lustre. Its a 64cc homeowner saw from ACE.

The 391 does exactly what Stihl designed it to do. It is an occasional use saw. It is designed for a homeowner that occasionally needs a saw that will pull a 20" chain, or a 25 in a pinch, who doesn't want to shell out a thousand plus for a pro grade powerhead. It is the base model, but that doesn't make it a bad saw. If I had to sling it around for 10 hours a day I would cuss it, and it wouldn't hold up, but that isn't what it was designed for. If a buddy of mine needed a tree dropped, and all he had was a 391, I'd touch up the chain and be fine with it.

In tree services and government services such as park, city, dnr, etc. , I have saw pretty near as many Stihl homeowner saws as pro. Majority of them appear to me last the first go around near as long as the pro . When it comes to major repairs they are usually done with them and just replace them where as a pro saw more often is worth fixing or rebuilding, but that is not always so either.. Biggest difference usually is power to weight but then I would venture to say most those businesses rotate smaller and larger saws and most often are not continuously using 1 saw for much more then a couple hours.

Latest posts

Back