Rare Homelites and Mac's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibbs

Dibbs

ArboristSite Guru
How desireable is a Homelite 2100-S?
I spotted one at my local dealers graveyard section, don't even know if it pulls over, just wondering if I should liberate it.

Jacob J.
Well the 2100-S is tuned for more chain speed than the 990 for sure. They don't quite have as much torque but they're a powerful saw that is capable of a lot, especially with sawmilling. The 2100-S handles a high-heat load well too, such as cutting big wood in the summer time.

BIGBORE577

BIGBORE577

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well the 2100-S is tuned for more chain speed than the 990 for sure. They don't quite have as much torque but they're a powerful saw that is capable of a lot, especially with sawmilling. The 2100-S handles a high-heat load well too, such as cutting big wood in the summer time.

What JJ says here is gospel. I just picked up 2 of them. One is stock and the other was set up for for stock appearing racing. It kind of freaked me out when I fired it up the first time. Didn't think something that old school would run that fast. Just got it a little bit ago so, I don't have a lot of particulars as of yet. I look forward to posting about it when I can. Lots of finger ports and other mods that I can see just by looking at it without tearing it down. The previous owner states I should run it on 110 octane AV gas to run correctly.

Jacob J.
That's really cool to hear about, Jay. I would love to see the inside of that cylinder. Some of the Homelite porting designs were ahead of their time for sure. I mean, the modern quad ports found in a saw like say, the Husqvarna 372XP were found in Pioneer saws made in the 70's which in turn were found in Homelite and Mac saws made in the 50's.

BIGBORE577

BIGBORE577

Addicted to ArboristSite
Funny how that works, eh? I know I've used the automobile analogy one to many times already but, I'm an old gear head and saws are relatively new to me. The old timers were not quite as devoid of any knowledge/technique as a lot would like us to believe. They knew how to make things go extremely well with the technology they had at hand. I'd like to get some pictures and send them to you when I can. In the mean time, I think I'll paint it orange and put some Echo decals on it. :smoking:

heimannm
So I have a couple of SP125's, a 650 in pretty good shape, and a good line on a 660. Still lusting for a BP-1.

I guess I have a McProblem.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Hey Jay, you planning to be home on Monday evening?

Messenger

Messenger

ArboristSite Operative
Mac 800's

Some of the not so rare saws in the Mac category are also getting expensive. The SP125 is fetching a good penny right know and the sp81 and pro mac 800 series saws in good shape are also getting around the $200.00 mark.

Thomas -
[this is concerning complete, good running, nice saws -- not pristine though]
pretty good cosmetics needed.

Example : Mac PM700's can easily bring $300.-$350.

A nice Mac PM800 [much less frequently seen] can bring over [3] times $200.+
SP81, not as much.

This is no reflection on the desireability or greatness of the saws--just actual Ebay sales.

Rough looking, incomplete saws = pretty cheap.

Additionally, very, super nice saws are bringing huge bucks.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Anyone got a good paint code for Mac yellow? What was the original paint?.. Enamel? Our local John Deer dealer sells a really stout acrylic enamel paint, and it's not that pricey.

I've seen some Mac's that have a yellow that just doesn't seem to be a match to the original... Not sure if they were rattle canned? :dunno:

heimannm
Here's a list of yellow paint that approximates McCulloch yellow, I think I got this from Brad Snelling:

Suggestions for readily available spray can high temp yellow paint, that are close to McCulloch yellow:
- AutoZone DE1642 yellow high temp engine enamel
- Engine yellow: Krylon DE1642 Daytona Yellow, 500 F
- Dupli-Color Engine Enamel in Daytona Yellow (#DE1642)
- Rust-Oleum Sunburst Yellow (7747)

I have used the Rust-Oleum and it is very close, but not exact if you put it side by side with an older saw; just a bit darker maybe more red/orange.

Mark

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Here's a list of yellow paint that approximates McCulloch yellow, I think I got this from Brad Snelling:

Suggestions for readily available spray can high temp yellow paint, that are close to McCulloch yellow:
- AutoZone DE1642 yellow high temp engine enamel
- Engine yellow: Krylon DE1642 Daytona Yellow, 500 F
- Dupli-Color Engine Enamel in Daytona Yellow (#DE1642)
- Rust-Oleum Sunburst Yellow (7747)

I have used the Rust-Oleum and it is very close, but not exact if you put it side by side with an older saw; just a bit darker maybe more red/orange.

Mark

Hey Mark,

do you know of an equivalent RAL colour for those colour codes ? out here, RAL is the only thing they know...

thanks