Rare Homelites and Mac's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the more desirable Macs- BP-1 (recalled Balance-piston saw, would turn up too high and catch on fire), Mac 650 (one-man slim case gear drive), Super Pro 118 (Dolmar 166 in Mac colors), 101B Kartsaw. These are all desirable because they're rare.

Some of the more desirable Macs- BP-1 (recalled Balance-piston saw, would turn up too high and catch on fire), Mac 650 (one-man slim case gear drive), Super Pro 118 (Dolmar 166 in Mac colors), 101B Kartsaw. These are all desirable because they're rare.

What about the ones below those? Any of the Homie 900 series kind of collected? Like the 921 through 955?

Some of the not so rare saws in the Mac category are also getting expensive. The SP125 is fetching a good penny right know and the sp81 and pro mac 800 series saws in good shape are also getting around the $200.00 mark.

Why am I not seeing the SP118 or 101B on Acres site??

So, nothing on the more collectible Homies?

Perhaps not the same rareness factor as the others but, desireable:

8-29
770GS
XP-1100
2100S

However, at least to me, they all seem to be less desirable once you get them. For me it is the hunt that is most intriguing. Once you get them you realize how much of the hype is caused by legend and lore. The Dolmar 166 for example. The saw that makes the 088/880 and similar saws head for the hills, quake in their bumper spikes and cower under dead fall. Not hardly. I'm not saying it is not a fantastic saw. It is just not able to clear large stands of old growth my merely idling close by. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, the rare saw is not quite what their owners claim them to be since not many may refute them.

What about the ones below those? Any of the Homie 900 series kind of collected? Like the 921 through 955?

Nathan- I think what you're looking for is information on that lot of Homies and Macs you bought. Now there's some solid money earners in that lot, but nothing particularly valuable. The XL-924/925 saws have a good following on e-bay and usually get $100-150 for a solid, running unit. Same thing with the Pro-Mac 800/805. As far as vintage collectibles, I didn't see anything in that bunch of saws that was really desirable.

Why am I not seeing the SP118 or 101B on Acres site??

Mike doesn't list all the variable models, especially if they were particularly limited or optional editions. Mike's site is absolutely great, but there's some holes in it that need to be filled.

8-29
770GS
XP-1100
2100S

However, at least to me, they all seem to be less desirable once you get them. For me it is the hunt that is most intriguing. Once you get them you realize how much of the hype is caused by legend and lore. The Dolmar 166 for example. The saw that makes the 088/880 and similar saws head for the hills, quake in their bumper spikes and cower under dead fall. Not hardly. I'm not saying it is not a fantastic saw. It is just not able to clear large stands of old growth my merely idling close by. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, the rare saw is not quite what their owners claim them to be since not many may refute them.

I have to agree. I was never overly impressed with the BP-1 or the Solo Twin. The 166, while a good runner, didn't shatter my world like the Mac 125 did. There's a reason particular models were the most popular back in the day, and it wasn't because of looks or collectible value.

Nathan- I think what you're looking for is information on that lot of Homies and Macs you bought.

Yes and no... I know there wasn't anything really rare in there (John would have pulled it for his collection)... I was more curious for what to keep an eye out for...

A buddy and me are talking about garage saleing this summer, and I may hit a few auctions. I just wanted an idea for what to look for.

Trying to memorize all these saws, from all these manufactures, will take me a while!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Yes and no... I know there wasn't anything really rare in there (John would have pulled it for his collection)... I was more curious for what to keep an eye out for...

You'll know them when you see them....

It's only once in a great, great while that a person stumbles across a Super Pro 125, a 770GS, a 9-23, or a BP-1. You should look for some of the big two-man saws, especially the early Titans, Malls, and Hornet saws. Those are saws that will bring good money.

You'll know them when you see them....

It's only once in a great, great while that a person stumbles across a Super Pro 125, a 770GS, a 9-23, or a BP-1. You should look for some of the big two-man saws, especially the early Titans, Malls, and Hornet saws. Those are saws that will bring good money.

Ironically, my brother in law just showed up, and we were talking about the two man saws... He has one at the house. I'm going to go look at it later.

8-29
770GS
XP-1100
2100S

However, at least to me, they all seem to be less desirable once you get them. For me it is the hunt that is most intriguing. Once you get them you realize how much of the hype is caused by legend and lore. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

Jay,

I agree the hunt is the fun part.

By the way I have all the Homelites listed;

On a side note I pulled the gear we talked about. I have some very bad news.

Bill

Last edited:
To put a slightly different spin...

Collectables are for those people who will put MORE money and time into an object than is rational because they are interesting for a variety of reasons. Some common denominators in collecting reguardless of venue are:

1) Racing & Performance (Sometimes just being BIG in displacement is the trigger)
2) History, usually military, sometimes nationalistic..(all those Canadian attempts to build a saw)
3) Commercial success...
4) Just weird & odd ball
5) Age & role in the evolution of a technology
6) "Top of the line" of a given product line or manufacturer..those thing unobtainable when they were in their prime...too expensive, too rare. A twist on the retro "jeolousy" thing makes them collectable.

The saws (Or motorcycles, cars, whatever) that hit more of those things have more collectable value.

The McCulloch's had a dual life in cart racing and saw racing to match their commercial success. They have a history of performance and therefor they will always be in the collector list. Saws like the SP125 hit several of the collectable issues driving collectability and therefor have more collectable value...

Mercury Disston's have the military, performance, and odd ball "neet "value..they have roots in outboards (or visa versa depends on who you talk to)

Things like Solo's 611 twin..odd ball & really cool, "top of the line" in their time..unobtainable then AND now!.

McCulloch BP series..rare odd ball with mythology..where it was really just a 10,000-11,000 rpm saw with a clever & quirky design. The Sachs Dolmar KMS-4 chainsaw is another clever & quirky (wankle) design...same type of appeal.

Where do the "standard" 80cc McCullochs like the 1-41 thru 250 series fit? They don't really as they are standard (boring) with no special options or characteristics vs. the BIG bore Mac's or Old mac's. Collectors and those who like to hack up an old one will have one...but won't pay big bucks for one.

So where do the Homelites fit?

They were more a "block and tackle" saw. More commercial success vs. leading edge performance...exceptions are saws like the 2100 and 750's which have real power and will eventually have big collector value.

Saws like the Super XL925 have another "curse"..they are STILL a viable saw option for some and still get a lot of use. Cheap power. Even though they are way past normal service / product life, there are a lot still in use. Untill they get out of their "usefull" service life, they won't have collector value..sounds inverse of logic...but thats just the way that stuff works. Untill then they will sell as a low cost option for a 5hp saw...that can pull a big bar. I bought my first one for milling.

SO the Homies that are collectable are ones like the XP1130G which really have no usefull function and have a mythology of power. All the older 100c plus gear drive Homies have that power mythology..truth doesn't matter and the goofy cool factor is the drive here. Others are ones on the "fringe" like the 2100, 750, the big Solo based 540, and really old ones like the first belt drive ones have some collector appeal.

Best advice? Collect for your own interests. Its a looser to do so for commercial reasons..no one really needs a collectable. The junk parts guys might get turnover but no ones gona get rich selling old saws and parts!

I used to collect 1950's era outboards (Mercury's)..I paid for the hobby by finding, building, and selling old outboards. I just kept the ones interesting for me....worked. I actually paid for the first few saws by selling my old racing merc's.

Last edited:
Yea it does, if YOU like it. An early 1950's saw and probably one of McCulloch's early successes. Somewhere around 80cc's (I think 77cc) at 30 something pounds with a bar & chain! (they grew them tougher back then). But its not a bleeding edge saw in any area really.

You want to know its true dollar value? Stick it on ebay....might get $50 bucks, might get $150; depends on who's looking at a given time.

I think a 77 would be fun, maybe a 55, sort of the precursor to the "horizontal" cylinder saw's that dominated the 1960's and 1970's as well.

Last edited:
He was asking in general, on the open market. I've never seen a running 4-30 or 47 go higher than $80 on ebay, and that was for a pristine one.

I understand completely..and the point I'm making is collecting isn't about the commercial market. Its whats interesting to the individual collector and how bad they want a particular saw at some slice in time. I would never even attempt to approach selling to the collectors market, or even trying to rationalize a price point. The "Collector" mindset doesn't compute to a normal business oriented person unless they are collectors as well!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back