Rate My Stump thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I needed to test out the 181SE I've been rebuilding, and there was a nice dead Douglas Fir behind my dad's place just begging to be cut down, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone today:

attachment.php

So, how'd I do? I'd say that I should have cut maybe another inch of holding wood on the near side, though it did do its job in pulling the tree to the left slightly. Only took 4-5 minutes at most. That's the first Humboldt cut I've done in a tree over 10" diameter - everyone I grew up cutting wood with never used them, so neither had I until I joined AS last year and did some reading. I've been practicing them on smaller trees here and there, but this was the first relatively large tree I felled this year. I didn't measure this one, but it pretty much maxed out the 28" bar on the 181. The tree was about 80-90' tall and had a ~15° sweep almost half way up. It fell about 5° to the right of where I wanted it. I was trying to drop it on top this snag that uprooted in a windstorm last fall:

attachment.php

The tree I cut is off the left side of the shot. It did hit the snag (top one in the photo), but fairly low to the ground so it didn't do the whole job. But it did break the top and a few big limbs out, which made it possible to pull it down with a come-along and cable. The snag is a ~18" Douglas Fir, poker straight and fairly knot-free for 40 feet or so. Might make a couple nice 6X6 beams out of it since I'm going to have the milling equipment there for the big Fir anyway. The tree that the snag is into is about the same size as the one I dropped. The force of the other tree leaning on it caused a crack that goes at least 8' up the trunk, which subsequently killed the tree over the winter. I'm a bit apprehensive about trying to cut this one because of the instability from the crack. I need to do a better assessment now that the snag is out of it.

Cool. Looks like a job well done. What will you use the timber for? I only cut for firewood although me cousin is building a mill for his 880 that could change all that.

Hmmmmmm

I'm still lookin'.

================

Well the holding wood is tapered.

Could have been intentional.

Cuts flat.
Humboldt nice an low on front end.
Stump shot is marginal, but that is a test question as it really only works very rarely.
Pull out from the log, but who cares here?

=================

OK, it is very good.

How do we know it was YOUR stump? You didn't show the serial numbers on the saw and receipt.

Last edited:
Got it

Looking at the saw chips.
(Dead and dry Doug doesn't throw a great chip so all is forgiven. Those chips are fine for that wood.)

You cut the face on one side then the back-cut on the other.
You're not ambidextrous as a cutter.

AHHAAAAAAA.

Conversion

I just got a 266SE with 160 cold compression.
So I will not have to do more rebuilding than starter cords/gas lines-filter/carb kit. These were the years where Husky really came of age.

But, i did the K&N air filter conversion and boy does that make a difference.

You got a good saw, see if you can put a K&N on it.

I think it looks really good! Yes your holding wood isn't even across the stump, but you did say you were trying to swing the tree slightly so I say job well done. I need to start practicing Humboldts myself.

I can never get my humboldts to tie in on the opposite side of a tree. I usually come in low on the opposite side. How do I correct this?

I like what I can see from here, the hinge looks ok a little thin on the far side , I would leave an inch and a half on a tree that size all the way across unless trying to do an alteration to the fall direction. A little fiber pull would bother some fallers if the tree is to be used for lumber but I don`t worry about losing 8" - 10" off the butt of a log, however that is probably why you used a Humboldt notch in the first place. Sometimes on a really big tree you can cut out the middle of the hinge leaving 3" - 4" on each side and that stops fiber pull in the good heart wood but if a tree is dead or doughty I leave the hinge intact all the way across. Your tree fell close to where you wanted it to so that was a good successful fall, only years of experience will improve upon that.
Pioneerguy600

Was trying to get a picture of my stump, but alas, I got pinched.
The old timers here are hoping for newer pics I bet. lol
Gypo

I love a good blast from the past!!!

BTW, the stump looks good, just whack off that fiber before the man sees it...

Nice stump

"Smoke, if I ever had you as a falling boss on an incident, I would more than likley go through rapid demob."

------------

Hey, I was just having fun.

It was a nice stump. So what if I had to dig for 90 minutes to almost find something wrong.

-------------

Trivia:

Every time I went out with cutters we had a great time.

Back