RC Nitro in a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsered-52E

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I heard about people running nitro through their saw for a punch and good smells but what do you need to do to the saw to be able to run off nitro. I got some 10% and I've tried mixing in a bit of 2 stroke oil but its a petroleum so it doesn't mix. Do I need to mix in some type of lubrication or does the nitro have enough? The saw wants 50:1 if that means anything. If I mess with the timing will it really bring the saw to life? Any help is greatly appreciated
Edward

Interesting concept, but seems like you could risk wrecking your saw for not much gain. Maybe that's just me.

I’d suggest against nitromethane in your saw. You’ll deteriorate the rubber parts including lines, diaphragms and manifold. You’ll also have timing issues - you’d need to advance your ignition timing as it burns slower than petrol. The lines and carb need to be flushed out after each use and the cylinder fogged.

Interesting concept, but seems like you could risk wrecking your saw for not much gain. Maybe that's just me.
Its a saw that never runs right and its in tough shape I got it for free and I've just been experimenting with the saw to see what happens
I’d suggest against nitromethane in your saw. You’ll deteriorate the rubber parts including lines, diaphragms and manifold. You’ll also have timing issues - you’d need to advance your ignition timing as it burns slower than petrol. The lines and carb need to be flushed out after each use and the cylinder fogged.
That's what I was wondering if I had to drain the tanks and run it dry but never though I would have to spray the cyl
Plenty of oil in RC fuel (which is mostly methanol)........
Would be interesting to try it!
That's why I'm trying this. I'll try again this weekend and will share the info.
Thanks everyone for the reply and the INFO
I'm assuming the points are like what's on the old J-reds and what direction do I turn the plate? Clock wise or counter clock wise oh and the saw is a 90's 2050 turbo

are you planning on running it on STRAIGHT RC fuel?????
if so, i guess you'd just have to treat this as a methanol engine???? meaning you gotta supply it a TON of fuel.....

better pick a cylinder that has a decomp to add a rc glow plug if you want it to start
I never even thought about that. Could I make an adapter to put in the spark plug hole for the glow plug or would it need the spark to help the ignition. This fuel is also made for and engine that idles around what 10k? This saw idles around 2ish k. So will it be running colder then what the RC's do?
are you planning on running it on STRAIGHT RC fuel?????
if so, i guess you'd just have to treat this as a methanol engine???? meaning you gotta supply it a TON of fuel.....
I wanna try and make it run on pure. I will add some castor oil to it for insurance.

Not sure if anyone watches "2strokestuffing" on YouTube or "the iornhorse". I've been watching 2strokestuffing build an engine from scratch that runs on menthol and iornhorse did it to a husky 61 and 272.
Do I need a glow plug or would it run on a spark plug. Will I need to up the compression?

If you have never read the history of nitromethane and its characteristics, you just might want to do that. Google is your friend.

Suggest staying away from iron horse, dude lives in a fantasy world making clickbait videos, anything he claims to have done I would hesitate to believe as truth. Nitro methane is fuel with the oxygen in it, to burn it properly the compression needs to be sky high, usually this is achieved via ultra high rpm(rc engines) or forced induction(top fuel dragsters). The bearings used in a saw are rated for around 18k max rpm, you might try a blend of gas and nitro to get it started then switch over to full nitro or find a way to add forced induction. I have a feeling that without forced induction the torque will be lacking to utilize its use as once it gets under load and rpm drops it will stall.
So that what I figured. The bearings in the saw can handle 18k put everything else can't. What if I did a 50:50 mix on Nitro and Av gas (Aviation fuel about 100 octane and contains lead) or 25 Av and 75 Nitro. My main question is... Does it need a glow plug? Dragsters don't but they have forced induction or does that not matter? Dragsters also have a stupidly crazy amount of power to the plugs.
Thanks for the help

At this point you know as much as I do, I work with gas trucks/cars but understand a lot of fuels. I know the stuff used in rc is not full nitro but a mix with oil vs top fuel using 90+% mixes. I took the advice and started reading and wow the fuel delivery required for real nitro is crazy even the rc stuff that is mostly methanol. Best guess is upto +50% extra fuel delivery is needed and I have no idea if the nitro will even combust but it should start and run off the methanol and when ramped up the nitro should start burning. The down side is it eats everything not just rubber.

At this point you know as much as I do, I work with gas trucks/cars but understand a lot of fuels. I know the stuff used in rc is not full nitro but a mix with oil vs top fuel using 90+% mixes. I took the advice and started reading and wow the fuel delivery required for real nitro is crazy even the rc stuff that is mostly methanol. Best guess is upto +50% extra fuel delivery is needed and I have no idea if the nitro will even combust but it should start and run off the methanol and when ramped up the nitro should start burning. The down side is it eats everything not just rubber.
Will the fuel eat the engine it's self?

I heard about people running nitro through their saw for a punch and good smells but what do you need to do to the saw to be able to run off nitro. I got some 10% and I've tried mixing in a bit of 2 stroke oil but its a petroleum so it doesn't mix. Do I need to mix in some type of lubrication or does the nitro have enough? The saw wants 50:1 if that means anything. If I mess with the timing will it really bring the saw to life? Any help is greatly appreciated
Edward
I had 4 gallons of nitro from my RC boat racing days, it was difficult to get and expensive.
So, my 038 mag uses about a tank (0,7 liters) of petrol at 2,5 cuts along 13 feet (32,5 f). How you gonna justify that making it considerably more expensive=?

So the nitro I have is 10% and what if I dilute the nitro with oil? What will that do?

Latest posts

Back