RC Nitro in a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, nitro can detonate with no ignition, so know what you are doing with it and why. 10% - 30% you should be fine, but over 50% and it gets more serious. WD40 can be your friend with nitro.

Basically you have a 90% alcohol and 10% nitro mix. I'd run it with bigger jetting.
A 046/460 with a big bore cylinder is 82,5cc at about 4,75kw. Thats about the best we can do in the 14 lbs range.
Pretty amazing already aint it? compared to whatever the future holds in hand.

My only personal experience with nitro is with my to cars and watching top fuel dragsters and funny cars go down the track. There is some crazy guy on YouTube who took one of them tiny useless pruning saws that are battery powered and put a nitro engine in it.

Basically you have a 90% alcohol and 10% nitro mix. I'd run it with bigger jetting.
I don't think I can change the jetting unless I drill it out. What does the WD-40 do? Would it be used as oil? I was thinking what would make more sense? Denatured alcohol or the nitro mix?

I don't think I can change the jetting unless I drill it out. What does the WD-40 do? Would it be used as oil? I was thinking what would make more sense? Denatured alcohol or the nitro mix?
One of the biggest things with arc fuel is it don’t keep for long I have some from 2008 that won’t even burn.

I would rather try race gas like 112 or 114 instead of alcohol since i dont think the carb and fuel lines wound appreciate it but in a stock engine anything above 94 octace ( or whatever you guys can get at the pump where you live) is a waste of money

WD-40 does not seem to detonate, or at least easily jn a nitro motor and is best to flush fuel systems with for that reason. In a two stroke application, I do think it is a possible lubricant for that reason. When running any amount of an alcohol fuel, flushing the fuel system is imperative if the engine is to sit for more than a few days as it attracts moisture and breaks down regular fuel line material. The nitromethane alone itself does not do this.

One of the biggest things with arc fuel is it don’t keep for long I have some from 2008 that won’t even burn.
I got gas from a year or 2 ago
I would rather try race gas like 112 or 114 instead of alcohol since i dont think the carb and fuel lines wound appreciate it but in a stock engine anything above 94 octace ( or whatever you guys can get at the pump where you live) is a waste of money
Does it eat through plastic?

WD-40 does not seem to detonate, or at least easily jn a nitro motor and is best to flush fuel systems with for that reason. In a two stroke application, I do think it is a possible lubricant for that reason. When running any amount of an alcohol fuel, flushing the fuel system is imperative if the engine is to sit for more than a few days as it attracts moisture and breaks down regular fuel line material. The nitromethane alone itself does not do this.
So the nitro I have is 10% nitro 90% alcohol? So there's no oil?

LOL, if you are toying with the idea of using 10% glow fuel as your fuel, ( some things are ever so self evident! ) then by reading the side of the container that the glow fuel was shipped in and or go the the fuel manufacturer's wed site you would find that the fuel already contains at least 12% oil. minimum! ( oil content will be a quality synthetic oil with possibly a percentage of Caster oil already added for a total of at least 12%) I have converted many glow engine to ignition, that is a win win situation. Spark ignition gives you control of the ignition timing, glow plug timing is based of fuel mixture. the only timing control in a glow plug engine is based on a rich fuel mixture! Your saws ignition will work fine. Glow engines generally have brass bushed connecting rod bearings so there for high oil content is required ! On Glow engines converted to ignition and converted to use a Walbro type carburetor, I run petroleum based fuels at 20 to 1. 12% oil is close to 8 to 1.

Furthermore, this isn't rocket science or a secret, but very common knowledge, that it requires 1/3 more alcohol than Petroleum based Gas fuel by volume in the fuel-air ratio to have the proper ratio for proper fuel burn in an internal combustion engine. Now factor in the oil content being at least 12%, then it should be very self evident that your needle setting will have to be opened up much, to supply the volume of alcohol based fuel. it is also possible that the seats in your carb will not allow enough fuel flow to achieve the proper fuel air ratio. That is why jet drill set are sold and some of us actually own a complete set of Jet drills. it is very simple you will need at least 1/3 more fuel in your fuel air mix for it to run on alcohol. it will run cooler when the mixture is correct. Because the fuel carries the lube threw a 2 stroke the volume of oil going threw the engine, it is so self evident that more lube oil also passes threw the engine it is automatically increase. That is based on premix fuel, not oil injection!

Alcohol has a slower burn rate than the crap you get from the pump today so it is very common in alcohol fueled engine to run 34 to 38 degrees of timing to get the most out of the expensive fuel.

With all the knowledge available to self educate ourselves today via this thing called the internet, Ignorance is/becomes a simple choice!

Have fun!

High octane gasoline make much less power than alcohol, much less nitro depending on the engine setup. Gas is a faster, lower energy fuel. Higher octane gas only has an advantage at higher compression ratios. Generally it is with high static compression ratios. Large amounts of alcohol can give a greater dynamic compression ratio by using the fuel volume to reduce combustion chamber volume when the engine us actually running.
LOL, if you are toying with the idea of using 10% glow fuel as your fuel, ( some things are ever so self evident! ) then by reading the side of the container that the glow fuel was shipped in and or go the the fuel manufacturer's wed site you would find that the fuel already contains at least 12% oil. minimum! ( oil content will be a quality synthetic oil with possibly a percentage of Caster oil already added for a total of at least 12%) I have converted many glow engine to ignition, that is a win win situation. Spark ignition gives you control of the ignition timing, glow plug timing is based of fuel mixture. the only timing control in a glow plug engine is based on a rich fuel mixture! Your saws ignition will work fine. Glow engines generally have brass bushed connecting rod bearings so there for high oil content is required ! On Glow engines converted to ignition and converted to use a Walbro type carburetor, I run petroleum based fuels at 20 to 1. 12% oil is close to 8 to 1.

Furthermore, this isn't rocket science or a secret, but very common knowledge, that it requires 1/3 more alcohol than Petroleum based Gas fuel by volume in the fuel-air ratio to have the proper ratio for proper fuel burn in an internal combustion engine. Now factor in the oil content being at least 12%, then it should be very self evident that your needle setting will have to be opened up much, to supply the volume of alcohol based fuel. it is also possible that the seats in your carb will not allow enough fuel flow to achieve the proper fuel air ratio. That is why jet drill set are sold and some of us actually own a complete set of Jet drills. it is very simple you will need at least 1/3 more fuel in your fuel air mix for it to run on alcohol. it will run cooler when the mixture is correct. Because the fuel carries the lube threw a 2 stroke the volume of oil going threw the engine, it is so self evident that more lube oil also passes threw the engine it is automatically increase. That is based on premix fuel, not oil injection!

Alcohol has a slower burn rate than the crap you get from the pump today so it is very common in alcohol fueled engine to run 34 to 38 degrees of timing to get the most out of the expensive fuel.

With all the knowledge available to self educate ourselves today via this thing called the internet, Ignorance is/becomes a simple choice!

Have fun!
Nitro has an even slower burn rate and requires even more ignition. Anything above 80% is in the 50 to 70 degrees advance depending on the strength of the ignition. There used to be some lubricant you could run with nitro that lubed the fuel pump/s. I expect it might work for a limited run time in a two stroke engine.

I heard about people running nitro through their saw for a punch and good smells but what do you need to do to the saw to be able to run off nitro. I got some 10% and I've tried mixing in a bit of 2 stroke oil but its a petroleum so it doesn't mix. Do I need to mix in some type of lubrication or does the nitro have enough? The saw wants 50:1 if that means anything. If I mess with the timing will it really bring the saw to life? Any help is greatly appreciated
Edward
ive played with all kinds of fuel combos and being into nitro cars for over half my life know alittle about this. This is what i do instead of spending stupid money on rc fuel go find a place that sells race fuels and get a gallon of methanol cause its like 2.80 a gallon not 60 bucks and find a good oil that specifically says it mixes with it like many of the klotz oils and experiment with different mixes cause depending on whats being done to the saw youll be able to run more or less of it in your gas. Say good by to your cpg as you'll need to richen it up alot to run correct Make sure you dont use it in a old metal tank saw as it will eat the magnesium alloy and at the end of the day drain and run some straight gas in it just to keep the rubbers fresh. there is anywhere around 20 to 30% power increase but you just got to know what your doing and try different mixes. Dont worry about wreaking a saw either. if something happens it was going to happen anyway. i run around a 28/1 mix as well. hope this helps

Have fun!
So as you should know its a J-red 2050 turbo not sure the size that the jet is but will find out this weekend and drill them out and replace the all the rubber in the card cuz I didn't realize that it would eat the rubber and its been there since Sunday it did have some marvel mystery oil in it
ive played with all kinds of fuel combos and being into nitro cars for over half my life know alittle about this. This is what i do instead of spending stupid money on rc fuel go find a place that sells race fuels and get a gallon of methanol cause its like 2.80 a gallon not 60 bucks and find a good oil that specifically says it mixes with it like many of the klotz oils and experiment with different mixes cause depending on whats being done to the saw youll be able to run more or less of it in your gas. Say good by to your cpg as you'll need to richen it up alot to run correct Make sure you dont use it in a old metal tank saw as it will eat the magnesium alloy and at the end of the day drain and run some straight gas in it just to keep the rubbers fresh. there is anywhere around 20 to 30% power increase but you just got to know what your doing and try different mixes. Dont worry about wreaking a saw either. if something happens it was going to happen anyway. i run around a 28/1 mix as well. hope this helps
Wow, that's just what I need to hear. I'll be saving alot of money now. We have a 55 gal drum of methanol. Is race gas pure methanol or does it have some alcohol mixed in with it? Do you know how long the rubber will last the saw will be hardly run or at least close to a tank a weekend. Is there and additive I can put in or spray the rubber with to prevent or slow the deterioration of the rubber?

So I've been told a few things that I'm not sure about. Glow plugs? Do I need them or will the spark plug be just fine?

I currently have 4 pails, ( 5 gallon pails/ containers ) of VP, M1 Methanol, in my basement shop, Buy Klotz in case quantity, 4 gal at a time have 3 un opened at this time.. The last M1 i bought was $4.35 a gallon, almost bought a drum instead of pails.

I currently have 4 pails, ( 5 gallon pails/ containers ) of VP, M1 Methanol, in my basement shop, Buy Klotz in case quantity, 4 gal at a time have 3 un opened at this time.. The last M1 i bought was $4.35 a gallon, almost bought a drum instead of pails.
The drum we got is from the 80s when it was cheap

Use a hydrometer to find out how much water the methanol has gained. That is what actually ruins the magnesium. And alcohol resistant fuel lines are available.

So as you should know its a J-red 2050 turbo not sure the size that the jet is but will find out this weekend and drill them out and replace the all the rubber in the card cuz I didn't realize that it would eat the rubber and its been there since Sunday it did have some marvel mystery oil in it

Wow, that's just what I need to hear. I'll be saving alot of money now. We have a 55 gal drum of methanol. Is race gas pure methanol or does it have some alcohol mixed in with it? Do you know how long the rubber will last the saw will be hardly run or at least close to a tank a weekend. Is there and additive I can put in or spray the rubber with to prevent or slow the deterioration of the rubber?

So I've been told a few things that I'm not sure about. Glow plugs? Do I need them or will the spark plug be just fine?
Race gas and alcohol/methanol are two completely separate things. Race gas should not have any alcohol in it.

Latest posts

Back