Really? Again? Ahhhhh....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This IS about cold. A rant. Please excuse.

You heavy equipment "pros" out there in virtual land: why oh why do the makers of HD gear make ALL hydraulic hoses one color ( colour ) : BLACK ? Black ! When one goes you have to rummage through all the damn same colored hoses to find the leak usually when it's starting to get dark, the temps are dropping like when you drop pants when you need to go, and because of the rat's nest of BLACK hoses, you can't see a damn thing. What's wrong with white, with pink, with robin's egg blue hoses ? TELL ME !!!
Damn, couldn't they use some variety in color ( colour ) with a schematic to make it easier to trace a leak ? Why oh you gurus of pro-hood ? Why ?:beat-up:

Oh boy... I'm not one of those "pros", but...
Hydraulic hoses are normally made from Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (HNBR), a synthetic compound used extensively in the automotive industry (highly resistant to oils and fuels). Depending on the intended purpose, the actual formula and specific compound varies. Three common colors exist, green and red are used primarily in refrigerant applications, black for nearly everything else. HNBR can be made in almost any color but it's not as simple as changing the pigment, changing color requires the formulation of a totally new recipe, or compound. Multiple colors of hydraulic hoses would significantly increase the cost.

Oh boy... I'm not one of those "pros", but...
Hydraulic hoses are normally made from Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (HNBR), a synthetic compound used extensively in the automotive industry (highly resistant to oils and fuels). Depending on the intended purpose, the actual formula and specific compound varies. Three common colors exist, green and red are used primarily in refrigerant applications, black for nearly everything else. HNBR can be made in almost any color but it's not as simple as changing the pigment, changing color requires the formulation of a totally new recipe, or compound. Multiple colors of hydraulic hoses would significantly increase the cost.

HNBR ! Another arrow in my brain quiver. Thx. Great explanation.

No way to stripe or imbed a color in the black hose ? Maybe print a mark on hoses ? The hours spent searching through the rat's nest of black hoses in the field would more than compensate for added cost. (sorry about the highjacked thread here ).

snow's coming down at a good clip in the general vicinity of Lake Winnipesaukee. En route to 20". Wonder where the road agent's gonna put this stuff.

well now i got to dig a dath to the wood pile and dig the cars out dont like the drifts yuck oh well this is the first this year i feel a little lucky not like some of you guys out there be saft digging out and dont over work yourselfs
larry

Back