• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Reasonably priced, 455 Rancher.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5c7c9

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
An old fellow down the road, comes over to help me cut firewood, when he hears my saw going.
This usually means my cutting day is going to be extended as opposed to if I had cut alone.
I truly appreciate his effort and company, but the problem is his saw, some days we have wasted a good 2 hours or more, trying to keep it running!
Everytime it dies, and we are working on it, he says "One of these days, i'm going to get me one of them Husky-Varney 455 ranchers, now THAT is a saw mister man!" I have heard it a hundred times or more, in the last 2 years, the sad part is, it will never happen unless somebody gives him one, because he is poor as a church mouse, if somebody offered him a brand new one for $100, I am sure he couldn't come up with the cash to buy it.
I have decided to buy one for him, if I can find one at a price that won't break my bank. All it has to be is a dependable starting / running / oiling saw with a working chain brake, nothing fancy to look at.
My plan is, to sneak it in to his shed, late some night (when i'll be cutting the next morning) and replace that old Ward's clunker, with the rancher, then wait for him to come up and cut with his dream saw, while I pretend I haven't a clue what he is talking about :)
If anybody has one to sell, please PM me, and let me know.
Many thanks!!
c5c7c9

LMAO that would be just my luck! Na, he is out like a light once he takes his bedtime meds, until the rooster crows.

Good on you for trying to help him out. :clap:

Why not try for some thing that won't break your bank and won't break the old fella's back also. :chop:

My first real saw was a 455, as i could not afford anything better at the time. (Now my saw shed/workshop has over 15 saws, mostly pro models!)
The 455 isn't very light at all. Why not look out for a reconditioned 445 or 450? Much lighter than a 455 rancher, yet cut very well. I have bought reconditioned ones in the past for around a couple hundred.

Good on you for trying to help him out. :clap:

Why not try for some thing that won't break your bank and won't break the old fella's back also. :chop:

My first real saw was a 455, as i could not afford anything better at the time. (Now my saw shed/workshop has over 15 saws, mostly pro models!)
The 455 isn't very light at all. Why not look out for a reconditioned 445 or 450? Much lighter than a 455 rancher, yet cut very well. I have bought reconditioned ones in the past for around a couple hundred.
Sounds like the ol' boy has his heart set on a 455 and it wouldn't be the same with anything else.

I hear ya, but they sure are a brick of a saw for the power. Just sayin......

Much like a 290 "farm boss". I'd take a 455 I've a 290 any day just based on how easily the filter clogs on a 290. Both are really heavy for the power they make.

Of course any pro saw is an upgrade over them, but if he has to have a 455 then so be it. A 346 would probably be awesome if you can fine one used in good shape.

I have a nice 450E I've been trying to sell recently. Saw works excellent. Just want to upgrade to a pro level saw. PM me for details if you're interested.

regards
JohnG

I wish I had a 455 still. I would give you a killer deal on it. Just so we could get a pic of the smile that is on the old man's face :)

My 1st big saw was a 455 Rancher as well. I cut a lot of wood with that saw.

The heart wants what the heart wants. If he wants a 455? I doubt anything else would make him as happy as the 455 would.

I used a 455 once to cut down 3 christmas trees. I was impressed. This might be due to the fact that the wood was only 3" around and my expectations were very low to start with. :) If thats what the man wants, thats what he should get. I know this forum will be able to help this guy out and I greatly anticipate updates on the outcome. This is the type of thing that (used to) make AS great and we need to bring more of it back to stay. :popcorn:

This one is $200 by me? I would go and grab it if you wanted to call on it?

PM for more details and a link.

(I had to check CL after reading the OP)

00L0L_g8XcyM8e3ae_600x450.jpg 00G0G_kNlLnKx5YB7_600x450.jpg

Thank you everyone for searching, I would much rather buy from someone here on the forum, I am sure one will surface sooner or later.
Many, many thanks!!

I have one i am selling. It is a low hour saw and it even has the oversize bucking spikes. It makes a great firewood saw. I just don't run it at all anymore because of all the other runners in my extensive saw collection. Like i said they are a heavy brick compared to say a 346XP, but i do have a soft spot for them because it was my first real saw when i was starting out for myself.

Problem is that i am on the wrong side of the Pacific Ocean to make this worthwhile to you..... :(

Well we don't seem to be getting any closer to getting this old man his Rancher. Unfortunately offering up mine would be like selling a family pet... But, I do want to support your cause. I'd like to see a newerish shinny one in his hands. If you would allow my contribution, I'm in for $35. Of course you will owe me a pic of him working the "Husky-Varney" ;-)
PM me your palpal or other info.
Thanks for making this guys day. (year?)

I have someone that is gonna forward me $60 today or tomorrow. I would give half of that $60 towards this cause. .

All I want in return, is what Topbuilder wants, a pic of this old man with his new machine!

After looking know the Bay, there is a until that is $379 (or Best Offer), that is brand new, or several in the $200-$300 range.

What was the budget you had in mind? Add $65 to that with my donation and Topbuilders.

You kind folks here are too much! Thank you for your extremely generous offers, but I couldn't possibly!
We will come up with something, sooner or later.
Bless you all, for your generosity!!

Back