Recommend a 70-80HP stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree&Stump

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what others are using that they like in the 70-80HP range. The 25-30HP stumpers are cheap and common, but they wear out fast, and they are slow under the work load. I know I'm not the only that had this same problem, so had to buy a bigger stump grinder. What did you buy that you had the best luck with?

Personally, I love the RG100 from Rayco. Heard from people who have bought the RG70? they were not happy.

Super RG50's are good grinders. They have some annoying traits, but you learn to deal with them. Power is not an issue! I don't really see the need for anything bigger. They just weigh more and leave more of a foot print. Not a big fan of the deutz diesel though, they get very hot and we've had some exhaust issues. They are easier to find compared to other large HP grinders.

Hey, I appreciate the posts. I'll put this knowledge towards the purchase.

I understand that Carlton, Rayco, Vermeer, Bandit, Morbark make sizable grinders. Am I right about that list? Am I missing any companies?

The way I've always understood it is that Vermeer makes cheaper units, but they don't make them very strong and dependable. I don't want to get stuck with one of those kinds of purchases. It would be nice to buy the right grinder to handle the strain of a high work load, so I don't have to deal with all of the set backs with break downs because the machine wasn't good machine.

I just bought a carlton sp8018 trx from global equipment exporters. It has a 78 hp duetz on it. So far i love it. I ground about a dozen stumps so far, and i probably have save myself at least 4 hrs of grind time over my 1625a sjr.

Whats your budget?

Check out what global equipment exporters have for sale. I know they got a couple more bigger grinders like mine for good prices.

Hey, I appreciate the posts. I'll put this knowledge towards the purchase.

I understand that Carlton, Rayco, Vermeer, Bandit, Morbark make sizable grinders. Am I right about that list? Am I missing any companies?

The way I've always understood it is that Vermeer makes cheaper units, but they don't make them very strong and dependable. I don't want to get stuck with one of those kinds of purchases. It would be nice to buy the right grinder to handle the strain of a high work load, so I don't have to deal with all of the set backs with break downs because the machine wasn't good machine.

Not sure what you are looking for. I know that I like our's!
Jeff,,,:msp_biggrin:View attachment 280892View attachment 280893View attachment 280898View attachment 280899View attachment 280901

Jeff

280902d1361649503-p5050018-jpg

Are you using the trash can as a chip deflector?

Looks like there was lots of rocks to hit passing cars with on that stump.

280902d1361649503-p5050018-jpg

Are you using the trash can as a chip deflector?

Looks like there was lots of rocks to hit passing cars with on that stump.

A lot of prep! but yeah, worked great! Why?, did you hear something?!,,,lol,,those rocks would kill ya!,, But we are good,,, those rocks would have knocked down those thingy's you made,,:msp_tongue:
Jeff, :msp_tongue:

Nice pics! Thanks.

I'm looking for the self propelled grinder, but it sounds like you like your Vermeer a lot.

There really isn't much of a difference between 70HP and 200HP from what I can tell in videos. I scanned over your new grinder video, 2Tree, and that went through a big stump as fast as a 250HP Hurricane can. The 250HP might last much longer, but the production looks the same as yours. The budget is roughly $30k.

Last edited:
Nice pics! Thanks.

I'm looking for the self propelled grinder, but it sounds like you like your Vermeer a lot.

There really isn't much of a difference between 70HP and 200HP from what I can tell in videos. I scanned over your new grinder video, 2Tree, and that went through a big stump as fast as a 250HP Hurricane can. The 250HP might last much longer, but the production looks the same as yours. The budget is roughly $30k.

The bigger grinders will grind faster then mine, but those are really heavy and are mainly used for land clearing job as they would trash a yard.

Give randy at global equipment exports a call. He has some good units in your price range. He is a good guy and will take care of you. There is a link above, because they are a site sponser.

Nice pics! Thanks.

It's not that's there is no difference but do you even have a stump that can challenge 100hp. There comes a point will all cutting systems that you are just taking as much as you can.

If your doing land clearing 200hp might not be a bad idea but for residential you might actually be taking steps backwards.

Nice pics! Thanks.

For 30k you can get a new 44hp turbo kabota on a bandit. Just food for thought I like new stuff tree guys are hard on equipment

I'll admit, grinding faster with a bigger unit that leaves yard damage isn't a step of progress...

Slow and steady wins the race.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

I'll admit, grinding faster with a bigger unit that leaves yard damage isn't a step of progress...

Slow and steady wins the race.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

I can surly fix the yard faster then taken 3 hour's to grind a stump with 2 guys standing around, were as a bigger grinder would take 10 mins.

Most times if its a removal, I will be driving the mini threw there yard anyway. I can put mats down if they want but most times they don't want to spend the money and they are ok with some yard damage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back