Recommend a pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
No "easy adjust" bar and chain nonsense.

In order of preference:

1. String trimmer power head universal attachment.

2. Battery electric, as long as it's a battery platform I already have - Kobalt 80v, Milwaukee 12v and 18v, Rigid 18v.

3. Corded electric.

4. Manual/hand saw.

I'm open to any brand, but not wanting to spend more than a couple hundred bucks for my few times/year homeowner needs.

What's worked for you?

I have had the Milwaukee M18 pole saw for 1 year and love it. Just use it for standard limb trimming around the property out in the country. I use 5Ah or bigger batteries for longer run times but a standard 4Ah works fine.

Takes an Oregon R40 chain which is .043. I think the standard length is 9ft but you can add 1-3ft extension IIRC??? Has 2 speeds via surface mount tactile switch near the trigger. Variable speed with said trigger also.

If I use it for a few hrs, it does get a bit heavy in the fore arms!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Search#q=m18 pole saw

Since already have batts. My dad got a kobalt pole saw with angled cutting head. Loves it.

No clue if in 80v as he went 40v

I looked at the Kobalt 80v version, it has an easy-tension chain doohickey. How's your dad like his? I don't have much experience with auto tensioners, but what I do have has been absolute trash, complete dealbreaker.

I looked at the Kobalt 80v version, it has an easy-tension chain doohickey. How's your dad like his? I don't have much experience with auto tensioners, but what I do have has been absolute trash, complete dealbreaker.
No clue what it has on it. But he has nothing but good to say about the 40v versions.
He also got used to that gimmick crap tool less tensioner when I gave him a easy start 180, years back. He likes that too. I for one dont care for them on the stihl saw or other brands of saws.

As to the Makita tool less chain adjuster on some of their battery chainsaws and the gasoline 3601 I find when adjusting loosen the clamping nut hold the bar and let the weight of the tool help tension the chain, pull wiggle then tighten the clamping nut after pulling the chain up and out of the bar slot. Put some lube on the adjusting threads. Not as precise as a normal adjuster but a way to adapt and it is tool less.

Bit late to the party, I have a Toro branded pole saw attachment. It's about as basic as one could ask for. 10" bar, manual screw adjustment just like a saw. 3/8 low pro chain. For whatever reason stihl bars fit it. It came with a second extension. Had it for quite a long time. Use it on my husqy l128 powerhead. It's a "universal" design so fits about whatever that uses the quick attach. Im pretty sure I bought it on a end of year sale at lowes.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-E...Pole-Saw-Attachment-RYPRN33/100044833#overlay
This is what I'm leaning towards now. There's a Milwaukee version as well, but I think the Ryobi will fit my string trimmer powerhead, and pretty sure the Milwaukee won't.

Might also get the 80v pole saw. I'm incredibly leery of the auto-tension nonsense, but the reviews seem OK.
Ryobi makes a decent product, I have the corded pole saw for trimming around the house, works perfectly with a 50' cord. It was given to me so no idea what it costs, and it still has the original chain, never been sharpened! The extension pole keeps you out of the way of falling branches.

Latest posts

Back