recommend me a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlf89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
looking to buy one as my hands want allow me use splitting hammer anymore, i usually cut anywhere from 50-100 rick a year but probly gonna slack off of that some. i have never used one but would like a horizontal one with the wedge on the end of the beam but dont see many made like that. for sure want a 4 way, so far i have found 2 that is in my price range and look to be decent splitters. id like to stay in the $12-1700 range. what do yall think about these two or if you know of one better let me know. thanks

https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Dirty-Hand-Tools-100466/p13895.html

https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/YardMax-YU3566/p68198.html

Dirty Hand Tools are members here, offer great customer service, and answer questions when asked, and get great reviews. I bought a Tractor Supply 22 ton just before DHT came out. It does every thing I can throw at it. I paid $999 for it and saw one last year during a managers special for $899. When I was younger and still worked for my Dad in the Tree Business, I had a 40 HP two way splitter, so I have used commercial units and think I can make a fair comparison. I'm too old to keep up with the old 40 HP unit, so it would do me no good. My neighbor wanted to double up splitting wood a couple years ago and borrowed his nephews TSC 38 ton splitter. Nice machine, but it still can't go any faster than me, so no need to spend the extra money. The 4 way wedge is a little short on the 22 ton machine, and if splitting stringy wood, I have to put a piece of 2X6 on the foot so the blades will go all the way through and clip the pieces off. Some guys have made weld or slip on pieces to go on the foot, but I always have scrap 2X6 laying around. When one piece gets crushed up, just stick another piece in. I'd go with the DHT because they are here, or the TSC because I have one and it works great. I have no experience with the YardMax, Joe.

On the vertical option, I only tried it once and found it awkward and too hard on my back. I back my trailer full of wood up to one side of the splitter and another trailer on the other side. Split and load as I go. If a block is too heavy to lift, I have big saws and can rip it down to size faster than I can pull the pins and lift the beam. If you have a bunch of big blocks, you might like to flip the beam up and quarter them first, but, I didn't like that,, so I leave mine horizontal all the time, Joe.

Timberwolf TW1 maybe? I can't seem to find their prices online.
There are a bunch of them used for sale on CL between 1200 and 1400, they look to be in great shape.
What's you location? These are in NH and MA

I didn't think of going used to get a bigger machine at a lesser price. That's always an option, just make the seller run it and split with it, check to see if it's leaking or if it's been quicky power washed. I've seen tractors that were filthy, normal for an old tractor, except where it was leaking. That area was all power washed and clean, Joe.

Personally, I dont see a lot of difference in most of the homeowner machines, You get what you pay for and with proper maintenance, they all will last a pretty long time. Like everyone else, I do have my preferences as to what I want out of a splitter. I have my likes and dislikes between the vertical and horizontal, wedge on ram and wedge on beam designs. With a vertical splitter, the wedge pretty much has to be ram mounted and it works pretty good, but here are my exceptions. In vertical mode, I dont have to lift a heavy round to the beam, but I still have to bend over and turn and twist the round until its split to size. I also have to throw every split out of the way as I go and before I can make the next split. The short wedge usually means a big stringy round doesnt split clean and I end up twisting the full round to whittle it down to size. Even sitting on a stool, It just plain wears me out. In horizonal mode, it gets better, but I find the height is to high for me and I have to lift that big round to put it on the wedge. The plus is that with a log cradle, the half splits are laying within reach for resplitting and you dont have to keep bending over to pick up pieces for resplits, sort of.

A horizonal splitter with wedge on beam is my preference, but this too has some disadvantages. You do have to lift every round to place on the beam. When a big round needs resplitting, well the ram just pushed it off the end of the beam. If you have a log cradle at the end of the beam, you have to reach out and drag the big pieces back and if you dont have a log cradle, you have to walk around and pick up the piece and put back on the beam to resplit. The advantage of wedge on beam is if you use a multi split wedge and are splitting decent size wood that doesnt need a lot of resplitting, its very easy to back a trailer under the beam and let the splitter just push the splits onto the trailer as you split. Its also very easy to put a conveyor at the end of splitter to carry the splits out of the way, or load in a trailer or truck.

No one size fits all, Even commercial models dont fit everybodies needs and is why so you see so many people doing modifications to new machines they just bought. To me a perfect splitter would be one I load with rounds and I dont have to handle those rounds again until its time to stack. Aint seen one of those yet, and if Ii do I will then start looking for a automatic stacker. Never satisfied.

Personally, I'd really rather have the wedge on the beam, rather than the ram. So great to set the block on the table and watched it get split right on its way into the pile the end of the splitter.

I agree, then you have the option of a slip over quick disconnect four way. Personally I would look for something used, I'm not a fan of box store stuff.

I have been very happy with my DHT. I just added the 4 way wedge this year, and it speeds up the process quite a bit. I don't think you will find better customer service or help with problems with any other company. Some of the stuff they have done to keep people happy is pretty unusual in this day and age. Do some searches. There are many testimonials as to the quality of both the product and the company. I would not hesitate to buy another one, or recommend them to family or friends. As far as horizontal vs. vertical, I grew up with a horizontal wedge on beam set up, and it did take me awhile to get used to the wedge on ram design. Now that I've used it for several years though, I like the vertical option because I commonly get logs in the 20 - 30" diameter range. I split a bunch of them into 3 or 4 more manageable sized pieces on the ground, then switch over to horizontal to finish them off after they're small enough to pick up.

I have been very happy with my DHT. I just added the 4 way wedge this year, and it speeds up the process quite a bit. I don't think you will find better customer service or help with problems with any other company. Some of the stuff they have done to keep people happy is pretty unusual in this day and age. Do some searches. There are many testimonials as to the quality of both the product and the company. I would not hesitate to buy another one, or recommend them to family or friends. As far as horizontal vs. vertical, I grew up with a horizontal wedge on beam set up, and it did take me awhile to get used to the wedge on ram design. Now that I've used it for several years though, I like the vertical option because I commonly get logs in the 20 - 30" diameter range. I split a bunch of them into 3 or 4 more manageable sized pieces on the ground, then switch over to horizontal to finish them off after they're small enough to pick up.

Just to add to DHT kudos. I responded to a DHT ad from Denver CL a few years back and they were selling unassembled units that had leaked hydro fluid on the crate that Lowes had rejected for a price I couldn’t refuse. At any rate, I went down to their office in Louisville (Colorado), picked up one of the units and got a tour of the facility and talked to one of the engineers and a few other folks. They have a good team of folks dedicated to the customer. And yes, those machines are made with parts from overseas but you still support an R&D team, CS team and others right here in Colorado when you buy DHT.

how about the 4 way wedge will it handle most woods or only soft woods? i will be mostly splitting red oak, cherry, poplar and some hickory.

I have a Husky splitter but its just like the DHT one you listed and I really like having the wedge on the ram side instead of the other way around.
I don't have to drag the wood back to the splitting position for the next stroke. I like that type of spliter because there dependable and have less to go wrong with it.
It may depend on how you split and what size your splitting to and the type of wood your splitting.
I split green oak witch takes a lot of power to get through some oaks.
Live oak being one of the toughest oaks I have delt with.
My Husky has been working hard for 15 years and still going strong.
I had to replace the carb because of bad gas once and I had to replace the hand valve once but that's it in 15 years of heavy operation.
I split 100+ cords a year with it.

how about the 4 way wedge will it handle most woods or only soft woods? i will be mostly splitting red oak, cherry, poplar and some hickory.
Unless they've redesigned their 4 way, it's not a strong design. I broke the first one on the return stroke and the company replaced it. On the replacement it also broke. Straight grained woods aren't an issue, but if you find a knot in the wood, it doesn't take much to break it. The company is outstanding! I've had nothing but good from our 27 ton and the experience with DHT, but the 4 way needs updated.

I have the Ariens 22 ton and I really like it. Light enough to move around by hand and it's split everything I've thrown at it. Some nice engineering features too. Rear mounted engine, central hydraulic control, angled wedge and fold down outrigger on the back side of the machine for 4 point ground contact. Really helps stabilize the machine when not hitched to a tow vehicle or when splitting vertical. Also has the log catchers. The Subaru engine has been flawless too.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Wallenstein advertises 35 different models, including the wedge on beam style you mentioned. Never used or seen one, but the name brand is solid from discussions on here of their other equipment.
That, or DHT based on the service help given ArboristSite bloggers.

I second this. I have a Surge Master, which is made by Wallenstein - just has a different paint job & decals. IMO they are almost a commercial quality splitter, a bit of a step above typical box store units. But the big thing about them for me is their layout/configuration is the most user friendly & sensible I have observed first hand, IMO.

I split almost exclusively hard woods. I got the 4 way this summer, and have done 2 cords of White Ash, 1.5 cords of Red Oak, and 1 cord of Maple with it. When I get big rounds, I split vertically with the single wedge, then switch to horizontal and the 4 way to get it to burning size. It's handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

I have probably about 15 cords through my DHT 25 bought from Lowe's and have not ran into a piece it won't split. I've had some crappy box elder or elm and even those didn't give me an issue. I'm into about a 10 cord red oak patch that was cut last spring and it doesn't even hiccup. Can't be happier with a unit that has worked great for under $1000 with tax.

They also have been very helpful to many owners here on AS. Was a big reason I bought it after researching here.

Back