Recommendations for a small, lightweight saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know your looking for smaller, I have a echo CS 400 I have with 16 and 18” bars and I have to say for a just about everything saw it is great, best part even with the 18 and my rakers a bit lower has the power to keep pulling the chain, it’s just a very strong 40.2cc engine that’s has a super cheap price point that’s worth every scent, add a 2nd or 3 rd bar and you can have a 14-16-18” saw for under 435$ including buying 2 Oregon bar and chain combo for less then 40$ and when the CS 400 has its 14” bar it’s so much hp for such small chain it cuts like a chainsaw on crack and Dave fuel! I have huskys and Stihl and I find myself usin thi little guy all the time. Maybe it may work for you maybe just to big. Good luck on your hunt hopefully you find a exact match for you! FYI do the muffler mod and remove the limiters on carb to be able to get perfect tunes on all bar sizes, the 18” standard not safety chain requires more fuel then the saw has to offer stock

I know your looking for smaller, I have an Echo CS-400 with 16 and 18” bars and I have to say that for a just about everything saw it is great. Best part even with the 18" and my rakers a bit lower it has the power to keep pulling the chain. It’s just a very strong 40.2cc engine that’s has a super cheap price. Point is that’s worth every scent. Add a 2nd or 3rd bar and you can have a 14"-16-18” saw for under 45$ including buying 2 Oregon bar and chain combos for less then 40$ and when the CS-400 has its 14” bar, it’s so much hp for such small chain that it cuts like a chainsaw on crack and Dave fuel!

I have huskys and Stihl and I find myself using this little guy all the time. Maybe it may work for you but maybe just too big. Good luck on your hunt, Hopefully you find an exact match for you! FYI, do the muffler mod and remove the limiters on carb to be able to get perfect tunes on all bar sizes. The 18” standard (not safety) chain requires more fuel than the saw has to offer stock.
Welcome to the forum! Please pardon my editing your post, but that made it much easier for me to read.

I just acquired an Echo CS-346 from a yard service company. He used it for 10 years and all it needed was an adjustment to the throttle control so that it could get a fast idle for cold staring. I fixed that and it now starts and runs perfectly. The engine is virtually the same as the Echo CS-3400 top handle that I already have. The price for the 346 was excellent -- free. :)

Echo Cs-346 is a favorite of mine. I've used the hell out of it for years and push it beyond what I should....it just keeps making me smile.

Have you considered the hand style saws, echo has one that is insane light but not powerhouse, Stihl has a couple of flavors in that category plus the husky hand saw not sure the model number but it’s a powerhouse but a lot heavier then the others and for good reason.... it’s a bigger saw packed into a smaller package. And thank you all for the welcome! Thanks for having me, I love my saws so why not talk...... the wife sure doesn’t listen!

I currently have a cs-590 so i was looking for something a little smaller than that. I have looked at the top handle saws, but im not looking to spend a ton of cash, as i only will be using it maybe once a month or so. I keep an eye out on craigslist and facebook marketplace for a deal, but havent found one since my ms390 for $140

I currently have a cs-590 so i was looking for something a little smaller than that. I have looked at the top handle saws, but im not looking to spend a ton of cash, as i only will be using it maybe once a month or so. I keep an eye out on craigslist and facebook marketplace for a deal, but havent found one since my ms390 for $140
I really do still like this one also:
Echo3900.JPG
An Echo Cs-3900. They are also hard to find. That's a 16" bar, but it will pull an 18" as need be. It's been with me for 20 years. New, they ran about $260.

Was looking at the used makitas that HD rents out. They have em for 165 for a EA4300F model. Heard nothing but good things about them!

I’ve had the Jon cutter g2500 for a few months now and it’s been great for me. Very lightweight, use it for cutting up branches for kindling and small limbing. I got it for $90. Read somewhere that it might be nice with a .043 setup so I tried that, and it will cut through 5” stuff easily. Kind of a big difference between that kind of saw and a 40cc rear handle though, so have to decide what you actually want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back