Recon Husqvarna Rancher 455

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfnh

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
While picking up some tractor parts, saw some 455 Ranchers in shipping boxes marked Recon. FOB was Troy, NY.
Saws did not have any label or tags indicating they were reconditioned. The only mark found was on the bottom of the saw, burnt into the plastic very crudely, was the letter "R". Looks like it was burned in using a soldering iron.

Dealership is a big one and has factory new Huskys next to these Recons, carries other brands like Stihl.

What's with this ? Anyone else come across this ?

The branded R on the bottom of the fuel tank is common practice with recon saws, particularly with the Poulan/Husky line up. I have only ever seen recon "homeowner/landowner" grade saws, never seen a 372xp branded with the R.

So, are these "R" marked saws US Factory Reconditioned with any warranty ? Are they typically straight gassed take backs from the Big Box stores ?

Recon saws can be from many sources including straight gassed saws. Anytime a saw is returned, that has had gas in the tank, it is sent back to the manufacturer to be refurbished. This would included folks that just wanted to "borrow" the saw for a weekend, saws that had carb issues, saw that were straight gassed and any other reason. I believe if you buy a recon from a authorized retailer it has a regular one year warranty. If bought outside the Husqvarna network there would be no warranty, just like with a new saw.

I'm pretty sure if you buy a reconditioned saw the warranty is for 90 days. They aren't going to put a saw out there for cheap money and warranty it for the same as a brandy new one.

Those saws are bad when they are new, never mind recon.

My opinion! And don't start arguing with me- 4 of them all with stuck SINGLE piston rings at the local repair shop last week. All under 2 years old. And not run lean. Sucky.

For whatever its worth.

Being cheap and the sole income in a family of 3, I've had excellent luck over the years with refurbs and returned merchandise in all walks of life. Everything from consumer electronics (computers, TV's, vacuum cleaners, etc) to my chainsaws, push mower and other OPE. Its sually returned by people who decided to rent it for free for the weekend to do a storm cleanup or watch the big game with their friends and often there is nothing wrong with the product.

You do take your chances, yes...but the odds are often in your favor. It does pay to know how something is supposed to be put together though so you cna examine it with a critical eye.

Got a price of $329 with 20" b/c.

455 Ranchers were all they had for reconditioned models.
Didn't expect any other models to show up for reconn sales.

if it's the 455 you want, option is from Lowe's.... go to the post office and get a change of address form. In it is a 10% off coupon for Lowe's.. They sell the 455 new for $399. 10% off will bring you just about down to the refurb price... just a thought.

Back