Red Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig21901

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if using red cedar in the indoor wood burner is possible. I did a quick search and noticed that some folks said they use it for firewood but most say not to and that it is best used for fence posts, etc. I was lucky to score a number of downed trees when a homebuilder friend of mine cleared a lot for a new home. Most of it was cherry and some oak, but in the middle of the pile was this fairly large cedar. Would hate to see it go to waste. Seems like really nice wood.
View attachment 297061
View attachment 297062

Its not real good firewood, it burns when dry, thats it, but it is great lumber. Like natural pressure treated, and it is also pretty, neat to make stuff from it.

I burned alot of cedar in my old indoor stoves. Great for spring/fall hot and burns fast. I used to love it in my old garage throw in a few pieces light with a match didn't need kindling it took the chill off very quick. It does pop and spark alot.

I burned alot of cedar in my old indoor stoves. Great for spring/fall hot and burns fast. I used to love it in my old garage throw in a few pieces light with a match didn't need kindling it took the chill off very quick. It does pop and spark alot.

Is it likely to produce more creosote than burning hardwoods such as oak, walnut, etc?

Thanks for all the great info. I was going to leave it there, but guess now I'll be headed back tomorrow to get it!

Parts of the west all they can get is pine, cedar etc... Like Gologit said, season it and it makes no more creosote than any other wood.

No need to make it kindling size, just split it as you do any other firewood.
The stuff ignites readily... place a couple splits of well-seasoned, dry cedar under a full load of oak and you'll have a good fire going in no-time-flat.

The wife likes to put a fresh cut/split piece of cedar in each closet... makes fantastic natural deodorant/air freshener and, as a bonus, bug repellant. I start with a fairly large split that she stands up in a back corner... and when it becomes less "aromatic" I just split it again.
Another "trick" with cedar is to hang a small split under each of your lawn chairs (I use twine)... tends to work as a mosquito repellant (don't do much for flies though). I'll also soak some splits in water, occasionally add one to a low burning fire in the outdoor pit... the cedar smoke smells real nice and helps keep the bugs away.

In this country we start brush piles with cedar trees we cut out of the pastures. They sure burn hot when they have been in a pile for a year. We have so much firewood in this area there is no need to cut cedar for firewood. We do cut them for post once in a while but we have hedge for post.

There is a rural legend that Western Red Cedar will actually clean out creosote. I do not know if this is true.
It is the most desirable wood for kindling around here.

I have friends who use it to keep their stovepipes clean, build a hot cedar fire about once a week. Others will burn nothing but heart cedar if they can get it. I split mine up for kindling. This, of course, is western red cedar.

No need to make it kindling size, just split it as you do any other firewood.
The stuff ignites readily... place a couple splits of well-seasoned, dry cedar under a full load of oak and you'll have a good fire going in no-time-flat.

The wife likes to put a fresh cut/split piece of cedar in each closet... makes fantastic natural deodorant/air freshener and, as a bonus, bug repellant. I start with a fairly large split that she stands up in a back corner... and when it becomes less "aromatic" I just split it again.
Another "trick" with cedar is to hang a small split under each of your lawn chairs (I use twine)... tends to work as a mosquito repellant (don't do much for flies though). I'll also soak some splits in water, occasionally add one to a low burning fire in the outdoor pit... the cedar smoke smells real nice and helps keep the bugs away.

I was going to suggest a similar use. Keep it for your outdoor firepit use. It has a nice aroma. Another use is if you want to make a few planks out of it for smoking, grilling meats, fish, etc. All around a variety of uses!

I burn what falls down in my woodlot here in the northwest. Sometimes a huge western red cedar will blow over since they often grow in wet areas. I will not waste non-rotten firewood. The stuff burns great. Just as long as other woods like red cedar and even doug fir. Better than cottonwood, not as good as madrona. The WRC is a fine firewood and an excellent kindling source.

Beware that western red cedar is much different than what grows in other parts of the nation. The white cedar of the midwest is much lower density and btu content.

Well cured red cedar is fine as shoulder wood and wonderful kindling.

When you think about it we should burn less than stellar but wood for 1 1/2 month of fall and a 1 1/2 month of spring.
Lots of NA has 6 months or less of burning season so when you do the math you need just as much lower btu wood as high btu wood.
Why burn oak when it's only cool out, that's the time to fire up the silver maple, box elder, poplar, cedar, willow etc etc.
When you take into account the 10% of a fire even on the coldest days is low btu wood in kindle format and start wood then even in a cold place like northern Ontario you probably still need 60% so so wood and 40% real nice high btu wood.

When people pass on a big free silver maple lying on the ground one block from home and opt to burn oak when is only cool out I just scratch my head in wonder and know why they are always looking for wood.

I burn what falls down in my woodlot here in the northwest. Sometimes a huge western red cedar will blow over since they often grow in wet areas. I will not waste non-rotten firewood. The stuff burns great. Just as long as other woods like red cedar and even doug fir. Better than cottonwood, not as good as madrona. The WRC is a fine firewood and an excellent kindling source.

Beware that western red cedar is much different than what grows in other parts of the nation. The white cedar of the midwest is much lower density and btu content.

Yup. We're talking about Thuja plicata when we talk about Western Red Cedar. It is native to our area.

Latest posts

Back