Red light saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLCM

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Did stihl ever make a 064 red light or a 066 with a 064 looking air cleaner cover? I'm trying to id a saw.

Thanks,

Matt

The early 066's were close relatives of the 064, and looked quite similar. The red light 066's were made during this time period. This doesn't help you ID the saw, but the odds are good it is a red light 066, as I don't believe the 064 was available with the rev limiting red light ignition setup. Others can confirm this to be correct or not.

Guess i'm not too good at taking pictures at the end of the day. In the last pic from above, the sticker on the air filter cover has a red lightning bolt and the word digital.

Looks to be a 066 redlight by what I could see of the recoil cover. Do a search on this site and it will give you all the information you ever needed to tell a 066 from a 064.
Travis

Couple more... The saw is dirty but it's only missing paint in a few places. I bought this saw from ebay thinking it would be a parts saw but it has really good compression and seems to have relatively low use for its age, i think. I did a search but the filter cover is throwing me off. Did the 066's have the small filter covers?

I believe that is a Red light 066. It looks Idenical to mine. I'm not very familar with the 064's, but some of them had metal tanks and the non HD filter. Every o66 I have seen has had the HD filter. Like i said, I could be wrong, but that looks idenical to my 066 RL.

-Steve

Up to serial number 139167185, both the "HD" and "other" (flat back type) air fllter system are available on the 064 and the 066.....

I mostly see the HD on the 066, but had an 064 today with the HD system.

Lools like an 066 red light to me. Best way to tell is rip off the muffler and measure the piston though the exhaust. 54mm for 066, 52mm for 064

I measured the cylinder at lunch today and it's 54mm. fishhuntcutwood, sorry no crazy pipes on this saw. I'm just trying to get it to good running condition for now. I've got a fatty pipe from a Suzuki LT250R lying around that i'm sure could be made to fit. Thanks for the help guys.

TimberPig said:
The early 066's were close relatives of the 064, and looked quite similar. The red light 066's were made during this time period. This doesn't help you ID the saw, but the odds are good it is a red light 066, as I don't believe the 064 was available with the rev limiting red light ignition setup. Others can confirm this to be correct or not.
I have a printout from a 1992 service manual (specs etc. only), and it describes the 066 red light, but no such feture for the 064.

Latest posts

Back