Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan emnett

Reaction score
My red maple is between 10and 12 years old. It has developed 2 cracks in the bark. They are about 5 ft long 1/4 in wide. One of the cracks was leaking sap. I got some tree dressing and put on them and it is not seeping any sap now. Do you know what could have caused this damaged? Did I take the right course?

I would say some bores got into it. Did you lose any branches? Got some pics to post. If you lost branches and there are borers your problem eill likely continue. I'll wait for a reply before going on.

In 25 years of tree work, I have yet to see borers cause cracks, until the tree or limb is dead, then the bark cracks and falls off in sheets.
I'd google frost cracks, sun scald, stress fractures, and cankers (and maybe bleeding cankers), along with Red Maple.
We don't grow too many Red Maples around here, or I might be more help.
If you can post a picture or two, we can get you better advice.

I have never heard of a borer causing bark cracks either. Some pictures would definitly help. Also conditions around the tree prior to the crack, recent wind storm, possible lightning hit. Some young red maples around here develop cracks caused by sun scald, sudden exposure to hot sun after being shaded by another tree or structure. Also saw one start splitting after a homeowner changed a gravel driveway to new blacktop. Tree split up the whole driveway side. Not so sure about the tree dressing either, not considered an accepted practice anymore and can cause more harm than good most times. Post some pictures and get some more opinions.

I havent seen to many Red Maples that dont have cracks of some sort. I cant exactly say why, frost or sun scalding, but never attributed to bugs of any sort.

Latest posts

Back