Redmax GZ3500T Top Handle Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blsnelling
Anyone tried out the new Redmax 3500T? I just picked one up tonight at the dealer. I'm impressed. It's very light weight and perfectly balanced at 7.3 lbs. It sound like it has a muffler mod already. Good thing too. The way it's made, I'm not sure much could be done with it. Plus it looks like a bear to get too. Of course knowing me, I'll try anyway:) I put it in wood and was surprised. It was nothing like the anemic 3800 was before a muffler mod. This thing does real good for a bone stock 35cc saw. I did remove the limiters off the caps and reinstall. I tuned it in the wood. Out of the wood she sings right along bouncing off what appears to be a 13K rev limiter. More testing will be required though to know for sure. I think this thing would hand it to a MS180 but I don't have one here to run it against. Maybe I'll borrow my Dads since his is still stock. LINK

GZ3500T_z110-0032_product_details.gif

pgg

Addicted to ArboristSite
First of all I've never seen or used one, not available down here, but its claimed 1.45KW is just average, it's less than the ten year old 335XPT's which are factory floor 1.6KW, and the XPT gains a real kick over that with a simple drilled muffler. That redmax is light at 3.3 KG, sits between the feather-weight but mediocre performing 1.3KW 192T and the solid, quality, 1.7KW+ rip-snorting 200T.

For a commercial saw the fuel and oil capacity is too small, and believe it not, all top handle saws are perfectly balanced at the trigger point with 12" bar. BTW a 16" bar on a top handle saw is SUCH a croc, defeats the whole purpose of having a top handle saw. That little redmax is pretty much gonna be just another average to middling TH saw that'll never set the world on fire.. but probably worth buying if it's cheap enough.

blsnelling
Turns out you only have to remove the clutch cover and then three screws to get to the muffler. It has the same little square channel exit as the 3800. I drilled into the muffler and opened it then up with the rotary file. I left out the spark arrestor screen and enlarged the outlet. I haven't had it in wood yet, but it sure does sound mean now.

Gizzard

Gizzard

ArboristSite Operative
I think the price of the 353 is in the 420 to 430 range around here. I bought my 346 for 470 plus tax. Most dealers in this area carry the 353 or the 346 but not both. The same seems to be true of the 359 and the 357.

I agree with the price range. Similar to what I've seen at 414 to 425. The one I mentioned for 350 was from dealer I know and he just lowers price for me.

mustard

mustard

ArboristSite Member
Brad

can't wait for you to mod the 3500t.

May be just what I need for my backpack trail clearing jobs!

Did you sell your modded 3800 redmax/

greg

blsnelling
Brad

can't wait for you to mod the 3500t.

May be just what I need for my backpack trail clearing jobs!

Did you sell your modded 3800 redmax/

greg

Yes, the 3800 is sold and shipped. I modded the muffler on the 3500T but have not had it back in the wood to tune it yet. That may be all I do to this thing since it's a clamshell tophandle. It runs pretty good anyway.

mustard

mustard

ArboristSite Member
Brad
Some questions on the 3500T
- rev limiter?
-fully adjustable carb?
- adjustable chain oiler?
-3/8 chain?

You know you got to mod it after the success with the strato Ryobi !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Greg

blsnelling
Brad
Some questions on the 3500T
- rev limiter?
-fully adjustable carb?
- adjustable chain oiler?
-3/8 chain?

You know you got to mod it after the success with the strato Ryobi !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Greg

Rev limited at 13K. It's tuned beyond the limiter by tuning in the cut.
The carb is fully adjustable.
The oiler is adjustable.
3/8 LoPro .050 guage.
It's just too hard working on a small clamshell cylinder. Not only is the bore small, but the ports are farther down in there.

mustard

mustard

ArboristSite Member
Brad
I wonder if the ignition module off a redmax 3800 would work to eliminate the rev limiter?

How does it compare power wise to a stock 3800 with a muffler mod?

Greg