Regarding the value of burning firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think so.

Many years ago I ran my fuel-oil boiler with a 1500 watt generator, after an ice storm took down just about every power line in the county. It never hurts to have a little 110 AC available, just in case.

I have a 7500 diesel generator.. Runs the fridge, two freezers and some lights and the fan on the wood stove. The water pump is 220 so i need to unplug the freezers to run the water pump.

Uhh.. don't ya need power for a OWB???? Need to run a pump or two....

Yup... OWB's, boilers, add-ons, forced air furnaces and whatnot all require some source of power to run. Pretty much any wood-fired heating appliance except stand-alone stoves (space heaters) are gonna' need power. The way I have my wood furnace "plumbed" I can use it and some heat will filter up through the return vents, but it ain't very efficient and I need to watch closely for over heating.

Several years ago a February ice storm put us out of power for 10 days. We kept the furnace burning low which kept us from freezing... barely. We melted snow in buckets by the furnace for flushing the toilet, washing up and such. Did most of the cooking outside over a fire, but heated some soup and such on the furnace. About 5 days in, I was able to borrow a small 1200 watt, 120v generator (couldn't buy one within a 1000 miles) so we could run the furnace blower a bit, but it couldn't power the 240v well pump. I ain't no fool, learned my lesson and purchased a 5500/6500 watt, 240v generator after that. I keep it full of stabilized, non-ethanol fuel... drain it and refill with fresh every 12 months, start and run it a bit every 30 days or so. I don't keep a lot of extra fuel on hand for it during the summer, but I try and make sure there's around 3 days fuel (about 15 gallon) all winter. We've had to use it a couple times, the longest was about 16 hours... 5500 watts powers the whole house and well pump just fine as long as you use a bit of common sense, such as don't flush the toilet when using the stove top, turn unnecessary lights off, unplug appliances when not in use (the transformers are always drawing power), etc. It ain't so much that the generator won't handle it... but the fuel lasts a lot longer if you can reduce the load.

"Course, that ain't gonna' help much when Armageddon hits... 'cause there won't be any fuel available anyway.

I have a 7500 diesel generator.. Runs the fridge, two freezers and some lights and the fan on the wood stove. The water pump is 220 so i need to unplug the freezers to run the water pump.

I wouldn't think you should haf'ta do that... 7500 watts should handle a fridge, two freezers and a 220v well pump with plenty of power left over. I've never had problems running a fridge, one freezer, 220v well pump, furnace blower, some lights, a 55-inch LCD TV, and whatever else at the same time with 5500 watt generator. I suppose if the 3 compressors and well pump all "started up" at the same time it would be too much... but what are the odds of that happening?

It's funny how the budget gets adjusted to account for almost free heat. I'd be paying $1200-1500 a year for propane heat if I wasn't burning wood. I suppose it would make sense to budget for the full amount, and then the wife wouldn't complain about spending money on a new saw. :msp_w00t: That being said, I don't think the budget would survive if we were shelling out that much for heat.

While I like cutting wood, the splitting and stacking isn't that much fun to me. It is nice to see it add up, and know that it will heat the house this winter though.

Yup... OWB's, boilers, add-ons, forced air furnaces and whatnot all require some source of power to run. Pretty much any wood-fired heating appliance except stand-alone stoves (space heaters) are gonna' need power. The way I have my wood furnace "plumbed" I can use it and some heat will filter up through the return vents, but it ain't very efficient and I need to watch closely for over heating.

Several years ago a February ice storm put us out of power for 10 days. We kept the furnace burning low which kept us from freezing... barely. We melted snow in buckets by the furnace for flushing the toilet, washing up and such. Did most of the cooking outside over a fire, but heated some soup and such on the furnace. About 5 days in, I was able to borrow a small 1200 watt, 120v generator (couldn't buy one within a 1000 miles) so we could run the furnace blower a bit, but it couldn't power the 240v well pump. I ain't no fool, learned my lesson and purchased a 5500/6500 watt, 240v generator after that. I keep it full of stabilized, non-ethanol fuel... drain it and refill with fresh every 12 months, start and run it a bit every 30 days or so. I don't keep a lot of extra fuel on hand for it during the summer, but I try and make sure there's around 3 days fuel (about 15 gallon) all winter. We've had to use it a couple times, the longest was about 16 hours... 5500 watts powers the whole house and well pump just fine as long as you use a bit of common sense, such as don't flush the toilet when using the stove top, turn unnecessary lights off, unplug appliances when not in use (the transformers are always drawing power), etc. It ain't so much that the generator won't handle it... but the fuel lasts a lot longer if you can reduce the load.

"Course, that ain't gonna' help much when Armageddon hits... 'cause there won't be any fuel available anyway.

I have what is called a bore bucket for the well, and some solar panels and assorted gear for that. I can get water and run some lights at least, even with zero liquid fuels available. .

edit: almost forgot, have handsaws and just the other day my boss bought me two donkey/pony carts. So I will be trying to get these guys used to hauling stuff (learning curve for all critters involved here, never done this before..). A small log arch will be in the future. So we have emergency transportation now as well, besides bicycles.

Last edited:
"free heat", "almost free heat"? No, no, you're thinking about it all wrong. We are being paid with good healthy work(It's only work if you don't enjoy it) and exercise, enjoyment and exposure to mother natures best, camaraderie with family and friends while cutting, hauling, and soaking up the "warm" heat. We do miss races, ball games, sleeping on the couch all afternoon. My younger brother doesn't cut wood and has had surgery on his back, knees, and shoulders. Use it or lose it. People were not made to sit idle. The body falls apart then. Sure we can get hurt too. My brother doesn't have the neat scar about 3" above his left knee like I do. It has faded much in 30 years but still serves as a great reminder to work smart. My house is 78 -80 degrees and dry all winter. Almost everyone I know sets their thermostat at 60-64 degrees and shiver in sweaters and blankets all winter except when they visit us, then we have to open windows.

I sometimes consider that I had my propane tank filled 3 years ago and it is on 60% now. I sure wish I could see my way to stimulate the economy with $400 a month heating bills. I guess I'm just selfish.

Uhh.. don't ya need power for a OWB???? Need to run a pump or two....
One of the main factors in my decision to use stand-alone stoves. I use the blower from the old forced air oil-fired furnace to distribute it normally, but I don't need to. Yes I have a generator, but when we were out of power for 8 days last year I did not run it all the time. After a few days several neighbors would stop by for coffee in the mornings to warm up for a while - it was kinda nice actually.

I wouldn't think you should haf'ta do that... 7500 watts should handle a fridge, two freezers and a 220v well pump with plenty of power left over. I've never had problems running a fridge, one freezer, 220v well pump, furnace blower, some lights, a 55-inch LCD TV, and whatever else at the same time with 5500 watt generator. I suppose if the 3 compressors and well pump all "started up" at the same time it would be too much... but what are the odds of that happening?

I have yet to try it.. with the freezers and pump with a couple lights on.. My pressure tank lets me flush a few times before needing the pump so really its even more rare they would all be on at once.

I have a diesel truck and two diesel tractors, There is always diesel fuel in my slip tank and it's never around long enough to go stale. Its always topped up holds 75 gallons of fuel and if i need more i wonder over to the 250 gallon fuel tank.. :msp_smile:

One of the main factors in my decision to use stand-alone stoves. I use the blower from the old forced air oil-fired furnace to distribute it normally, but I don't need to. Yes I have a generator, but when we were out of power for 8 days last year I did not run it all the time. After a few days several neighbors would stop by for coffee in the mornings to warm up for a while - it was kinda nice actually.

When the lights go out up the road from here we get a few visitors.. We don't mind.. usually ends up in card games and such. We go check cattle and chase yoties also... all kinds of ways to stay warm :msp_sneaky:

I sat down awhile back and tried to guesstimate my actual cost per truckload of wood. I spread a saw out over 10 years I think. 1 new chain per year. Saw gas, oil, truck gas, etc. No labor.
It came out to about $8 per truckload of wood. I burn approx a load a week so $32 per month to heat my house. There was no science behind my figures. Just guesses.

I agree you guys!! I push mowed this morning and I have two riders! I dont want to get soft ..:msp_mad: I've had bad athsma since I was six years old which has killed me on two occasions. If I didn't stay active with manual labor and fresh outside air I Probly wouldn't be here.

While I was cuttin I thought about this thread. A dollars worth of my firewood,that I've cut and split myself, will go a lot further than a dollars worth of any other energy source that I could think of. And plus if ain't outside tinkering or doing somethin I feel my time is wasted. That's one of the main things in this life we will never ever get back is time. Just my thoughts.(-:

Getting your own wood takes time. Loss there. But a warm house with no worries of cost of energy, is also time enjoyed. When using oil at 62 deg, everyone was split up. Wood at 73 deg seemed to bring everyone together, in better moods.

Now that we have our own canned and/or frozen produce (from the back yard), multiple years of heat stacked out back AND a generator I'm looking forward to another halloween disaster!

I ended my travelin days a year ago last August. The previous winter our fuel oil bill was just over $3000.00. First thing I did was go buy an insert for the house. Had plenty of wood from my cuttin and splittin "hobby". Had probably close to 40 cords split , all Oak and Hickory. Bought 200 gals of "just in case fuel" and used wood all winter. Just checked my oil tank several days ago and have 182 gals showing on the stick. I figure the insert will have paid for itself by spring. I used mostly the "junk" wood that the firewood customers would turn their noses up at. You know, the punky stuff, twisted , knotty stuff. This year will be all junk goin thru my insert. I have probably 3 or more cord that is in dire need of burnin. I waste very little when I'm workin it thru the splitter. If it's good, to tha good pile, if it doesn't fall apart from rot, to tha junk pile. By fall apart, I mean totally disintegrate. I also send any Pine, Cedar, or other soft wood to tha junk pile. It all makes BTU's.

Can't beat the dollar savings, that's true. Even buying firewood is better than buying fuel oil or LP gas.

The SheWolf and I have been living here for just over a decade but we only started burning firewood last year. That was around the time that pro-pain went from $2.00 per to $4.00 per. Got hit with an $800.00 delivery bill in spring. I disconnected the gas log, pulled it and sold the damn thing on Craigslist. :eek:

We have a forest next door and had been kicking around the idea of getting a wood burner... until we really didn't have much of a choice. Dunno about the rest but we couldn't suddenly come up with $800.00. That overpriced LP was nonsense and it had to go.

To make a long story short the wood burning investment has almost paid for itself already. Figure a 70% drop in the light bill for over half the year, no more LP bills. The money accumulates in the bank.

Back