Regarding the value of burning firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes one saw is all you NEED (but). Having a back up is a very good piece of mind. If something happens to the saw your running that's okay jus grab the backup that's why you have it. At any givin time I can not just run and buy me a new or used saw. Other than the new 180 my other two saws were other people's junk that they didn't know how to fix or didn't need. They didn't wan much for them so I felt I couldn't pass up the opportunity. And it just felt right.

With a small efficient saw and efficient cutting methods a man can get three maybe four good truck loads of firewood. It is awesome to throw a log in the burner and give a finger to the south toward the smoke stacks. With the light bills these days I love the sight of my wood burner in the corner.
Last winter my friend told me he had to buy $600 worth of fuel oil to last a little over a month, I felt bad for him and it made me appreciate my toys and my wife's frowns when I'm tinkering with my toys. :)
It is worth the hard work and the saws are a purk of the chore.

I forgot to include with just one gallon of fuel.^sorry guys

With a small efficient saw and efficient cutting methods a man can get three maybe four good truck loads of firewood. It is awesome to throw a log in the burner and give a finger to the south toward the smoke stacks. With the light bills these days I love the sight of my wood burner in the corner.
Last winter my friend told me he had to buy $600 worth of fuel oil to last a little over a month, I felt bad for him and it made me appreciate my toys and my wife's frowns when I'm tinkering with my toys. :)
It is worth the hard work and the saws are a purk of the chore.

I forgot to include with just one gallon of fuel with a small saw. ^ sorry guys

Let's see...

Sold timber....................+$7500
Bought/Installed OWB.......-6500
Free tops from timber.......+2000 10 cords so far still plenty more
Split by hand 1 year.................0
Splitter.............................-1000
PS-5105 new......................-425
DCS 6400 used...................-275
Misc, mauls,ppe, etc............-200
Skidloader...............................0 Already owned
Trailer.....................................0 Already owned
Fuel Oil saved..................+3850
....................................+ $4950 2 years with OWB.

Didn't count that I sold my 044 for $325 in order to buy the 5105. Even if I paid for the wood I would still be ahead of the game. I guess I could have bought 4 years worth of fuel oil with the timber money and sold off tops to firewooders but them what would I do on Saturdays? :laugh:

Me too, but whiskey. We felled a long over due tree. It also fell flat on its face. Just before me. Tomorrow is going to suck!

I drank way too much beer today...
Had a couple buddy's here sittin' around the fire pit...
Tried doin' a one-handed push-up and fell flat on my face...

Just sayin'

Me too, but whiskey. We felled a long over due tree. It also fell flat on its face. Just before me. Tomorrow is going to suck!

Good thing it's the weekend. Just sayin'. ;o)

I gotta try that one on the wife...she's heard all my other BS. I'll go big and see if I can get a dump trailer past her with that one. The fall back position will be to drool while paging through the latest Bailey's catalog.

So, sometime back, Garden goddess comes to me and goes like "I wwas counting your saws, !@#$% you have like 40 saws"! I go "well, yes..I do now"

"don't you have ENOUGH SAWS NOW"!

"Nope..I want 100 runners, plus parts saws..before I open a shop"

Her.. "!@#$%%..well....ok"

Next week I am going into tractor supply, it is in the end of a strip mall, there's some lady shoppe there big sign SALE!! in the window--she heads thataway--->

I come back out of TSC, bar oil on sale, marked down dog bisquits, some other jazz, hanging in the truck

she comes prancing back across the parking lot, click clack click, looking mighty fine, in some new heels

got two more pair in boxes, all like half price deals

I said nothing, just well..I was leering actually....

I WIN NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! BEST PLAN EVAH!

farmerboybill
How do I calculate the cost of my labor and fuel in this work? Do I debit it from heating the house or from the farm for maintenance?

Well you should have a good idea already what it cost to heat without wood so there's your benchmark...and that cost never goes down. For me it would cost about 3k to keep my wife warm enough.

I've always been schooled that $ aren't saved until there in the bank. So for now forget about your investment and just set aside the amount you would normally speed on heat. Get in the mindset that it's spent money for heating and forget about it. When a few years pass you'll be amazed at the money saved in this dedicated account.

I try to place wood cutting as a labor of love because if I think of all time spent and had make calculations and draw conclusions, well, I don't think I'd be the happy camper that I am.

The main thing is if your harvesting wood from the back yard then you are saving a bundle of dough and accomplishing many other wonderful things that often are taken for granted.

farmerboybill
How do I calculate the cost of my labor and fuel in this work? Do I debit it from heating the house or from the farm for maintenance?

Well you should have a good idea already what it cost to heat without wood so there's your benchmark...and that cost never goes down. For me it would cost about 3k to keep my wife warm enough.

I've always been schooled that $ aren't saved until there in the bank. So for now forget about your investment and just set aside the amount you would normally speed on heat. Get in the mindset that it's spent money for heating and forget about it. When a few years pass you'll be amazed at the money saved in this dedicated account.

I try to place wood cutting as a labor of love because if I think of all time spent and had make calculations and draw conclusions, well, I don't think I'd be the happy camper that I am.

The main thing is if your harvesting wood from the back yard then you are saving a bundle of dough and accomplishing many other wonderful things that often are taken for granted.

Peace of mind as well, future proofing. Wood you can go get locally, fuel oil or natgas or propane or even electricity--not so easy to go scrounge a truckload.

Wood heat to me is just like our gardens, helps to make us independent of planetary wildcards.

And when the big ice storms hit and all the power goes out for two weeks, a lot of people will be wishing they had wood heat. I'm just sayin:msp_mellow:

I like this thread it reminds me how much the gas man hates me.

Few days ago the gas guy was filling my next door neighbor’s pro-pain tank,
I walked up and said hay, as he’s was standing their filling a 500 gal tank,
He looks at me with disdain and asks, do you need some gas? I said no I still have 40% from last years 80% fill.

The guy said I’m busy, let me do my work.

My saw 700.00 about 5 year’s old, wood stove used 150.00 with stainless steel pipe.

Stove for the shop, a used all-nighter 100.00, another 300.00 or so into extra pipe,

Money saved 1000.00s I was paying 500 600 per fill 3 time a year on the short side 1500.00 per year.
Now with burning wood for heat I use about 250 gals of pro-pain I save about 1000.00 per year after all the cost.

I don’t count my time cutting wood in dollar amount if I’m cutting for myself, I consider it time away from the house in the sticks trampling grass, being the tree hugger I am.

Sometimes I feel bad for the gas-man and turn on the gas heater. :D

Sometimes I feel bad for the gas-man and turn on the gas heater. :D

We have natural gas stove and water heater. The power company doesn't like us very much during the winter months. Now, if I could just figure out how to burn wood in the air conditioner...

And when the big ice storms hit and all the power goes out for two weeks, a lot of people will be wishing they had wood heat. I'm just sayin:msp_mellow:

Uhh.. don't ya need power for a OWB???? Need to run a pump or two....

Uhh.. don't ya need power for a OWB???? Need to run a pump or two....

I would think so.

Many years ago I ran my fuel-oil boiler with a 1500 watt generator, after an ice storm took down just about every power line in the county. It never hurts to have a little 110 AC available, just in case.

Back