reindeer games

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And we're supposed to believe that's hard Aussie wood and not sawdust from your poor sharpening technique...

I bet you've gotten dozens of those comments, if not hundreds.

You've just ruined 2015 for me :)
People that are in the northern hemisphere cutting softwoods with square chisel will never understand our hardwoods. The old "sharpen your chain" comments by the internet know alls! Problem is that even in chainsaw manuals wood dust is a sign of a blunt chain. Because our wood is so hard they also think that because of the slower cutting the chain is blunt.
It hurts my head sometimes and it goes to show just how many guys have a narrow band of timber species experience. I even had one guy tell me that I need to learn how to square file in dead Black Box. Box wrecks even semi chisel in short order. Cutting softwoods makes even the slowest saw look fast compared to this gear :)

Yeah, except I got the chainsaw itch real bad. Can't seem to find the time to work on knives these days. I'd rather work on people's saws and buy/flip them, though as you can see from my signature, flipping em is always my problem.

Well I think the azzhole quota has been reached in this thread.

Why do they not ban this woodcutter TV/ brush ape idiot and get rid of him and his ******** for good? Don't tell me that you can't recognize him. Just another reason this place is gone to the dogs.

Well I think the azzhole quota has been reached in this thread.

Why do they not ban this woodcutter TV/ brush ape idiot and get rid of him and his bull **** for good? Don't tell me that you can't recognize him. Just another reason this place is gone to the dogs.
Just be patient, he'll be gone eventually.

Yeah, except I got the chainsaw itch real bad. Can't seem to find the time to work on knives these days. I'd rather work on people's saws and buy/flip them, though as you can see from my signature, flipping em is always my problem.

I loathe production work, even on one-off stuff. I'd be a lot happier doing a bunch of different projects, but mass production keeps my kid fed these days.

When I go home in a couple days, I have 2 weeks of machine "baby sitting" ahead of me. Can't put it off either - I'm out of my best seller.

I file my chains using a granberg. Mostly pretty pleased. However I have some large nine year old pecan that cured a few feet off the ground. Finally cut away the peconcrete part, thought it was gonna be all the way! Anybody sharpen a saw that will cut that stuff without throwing dust I'd like to see it. Hard ain't the word for it! I was going to turn some of it on my wood lathe but when my poor chainsaw was slinging teeth like my buckshot mudders slinging gumbo clay I knew that my gouges didn't stand a chance! After cutting about four feet off the end of the log I seem to be in pretty nice wood, got to find time to cut some blanks out of it.

Well I'm done. My last post of 2014. Gonna shut up and behave the rest of the year, although it will be a long seven minutes!

Hu

I miss me some good pecan pie. Not a popular commodity in Ireland. I usually only see pecans in any amount on the continent. Today the weather is very tropical storm like. Reminds me a bit of Texas. I assume I'll be doing some clearing here and there for weeks to come.

I want to give out a big thanks to you all for your support. We need to remember there are some solid, quality folks on these forums. I have also received some PM's that were very welcomed. Thank you all so much for that. Just put the punks on the ignore, and keep truckin'. And y'all enjoy your new year!

As we/they say in Ireland:

May the road rise to meet you!

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís,
Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú.

I miss me some good pecan pie. Not a popular commodity in Ireland. I usually only see pecans in any amount on the continent. Today the weather is very tropical storm like. Reminds me a bit of Texas. I assume I'll be doing some clearing here and there for weeks to come.

I want to give out a big thanks to you all for your support. We need to remember there are some solid, quality folks on these forums. I have also received some PM's that were very welcomed. Thank you all so much for that. Just put the punks on the ignore, and keep truckin'. And y'all enjoy your new year!

As we/they say in Ireland:

May the road rise to meet you!

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís,
Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú.

Nice thoughts!

No pecan pie would be a heartbreaker! I feel so bad for you I'm gonna eat an extra quarter pie in your honor today.

Hu

I file my chains using a granberg. Mostly pretty pleased. However I have some large nine year old pecan that cured a few feet off the ground. Finally cut away the peconcrete part, thought it was gonna be all the way! Anybody sharpen a saw that will cut that stuff without throwing dust I'd like to see it. Hard ain't the word for it! I was going to turn some of it on my wood lathe but when my poor chainsaw was slinging teeth like my buckshot mudders slinging gumbo clay I knew that my gouges didn't stand a chance! After cutting about four feet off the end of the log I seem to be in pretty nice wood, got to find time to cut some blanks out of it.

Well I'm done. My last post of 2014. Gonna shut up and behave the rest of the year, although it will be a long seven minutes!

Hu

You use the granberg in the woods too or just back at your shop? I want to find the best and cheapest way to correctly file a chain. Although I guess the best and cheapest way is to learn how to properly hand file. BTW, thanks for mentioning the chalk thing.

Have you tried the political/religious forum yet, you'll love it there, it's fish in a barrel.

Now where is the challenge in that, Greg? lol

Goofy file ?

My personal favorite. It saves the extra file purchase so ya can cut down rakers also. You can do a good job on square with any flat mill bastard, but don't forget to wipe out the gullets.:)

Goofy bastard file ...........lol sounds like something made for me ,I have the 6 sided flat ones the saw shop keeps at the counter ,not sure what they are called though ,Goofy Bastard sounds good though .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back