reindeer games

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You use the granberg in the woods too or just back at your shop? I want to find the best and cheapest way to correctly file a chain. Although I guess the best and cheapest way is to learn how to properly hand file. BTW, thanks for mentioning the chalk thing.

The granberg is small enough and tough enough to carry in the woods and I have done some tailgate sharpening with it. Some people even tote one walking in. A little bulky, might weigh a pound or two at most though. I usually have enough loops sharpened that I don't bring it out with me. Most of my cutting is ten or fifteen minutes from my backdoor max. If I drive an hour or two to help someone you can be sure I'll throw it in the truck just in case Murphy is riding with me.

I never use chalk on the chainsaw files, would be nice but I consider them disposable. Buy them by the box and hope the old chain oil on the brushes from cleaning the clutch area is enough to take care of things. Most of what I am filing is full chisel and with my old granberg I find adding five degree up angle helps. I also reverse the file so I am pulling it up into the corner cutting from inside out, works for me. I prefer to take four light strokes instead of a couple heavy ones, keeps my files sharp a lot longer and they clean easily with a quick swipe of a brush. If I'm in a hurry I can file a 20" full comp chain in five minutes. I favor waiting until the work is done and then I might take ten minutes or more looking over things and piddling.

Hu

Goofy bastard file ...........lol sounds like something made for me ,I have the 6 sided flat ones the saw shop keeps at the counter ,not sure what they are called though ,Goofy Bastard sounds good though .

ROFL Goofy Bastard File Company Incorporated. Do you think they would sell? Brian you are an unassuming marketing genius. Whoops did I say the ,"G," word? I need to get some appendages ported. Not.

I don't even file my axe like that! :wtf:

I never wear gloves while filing my chains , I use my thumb to "feel check" sharpness - does that make me weird? :confused:

If one fears hurting oneself while filing a chain , one must be doing something wrong - right?! o_O

I filed chains like that over a decade , but not anymore!

Can't go there, Dude. Real sharp chain will not hesitate for your fingers. I like those thin kevlar gloves. If you can run a finger back over a chain tooth you consider sharp, you've not arrived as a sharpener.

I filled in the blanks as an electrician over the years. Many experienced guys considered a finger stuck in the pipe to be the acid test for smoothness after it was cut to length. If it did not gouge your finger, it would not harm the insulation protecting a conductor from grounding on the conduit. That was a way to perfect filing off burrs left by a hand-held bandsaw and threader. Learn to visually grade the tooth or take up baking.

I wonder if I put that top knife in the trading post, do you think it would see any action?

Good on ya!

This is the last bowie I sold - 12" blade, 1/4" thick spine, copper guard, burl walnut handle(the photo doesn't do it justice):

44668648.GNB.jpg

I won't say how much it sold for, but I can say it would buy most of the ported saws you see in the tradin' post.

The granberg is small enough and tough enough to carry in the woods and I have done some tailgate sharpening with it. Some people even tote one walking in. A little bulky, might weigh a pound or two at most though. I usually have enough loops sharpened that I don't bring it out with me. Most of my cutting is ten or fifteen minutes from my backdoor max. If I drive an hour or two to help someone you can be sure I'll throw it in the truck just in case Murphy is riding with me.

I never use chalk on the chainsaw files, would be nice but I consider them disposable. Buy them by the box and hope the old chain oil on the brushes from cleaning the clutch area is enough to take care of things. Most of what I am filing is full chisel and with my old granberg I find adding five degree up angle helps. I also reverse the file so I am pulling it up into the corner cutting from inside out, works for me. I prefer to take four light strokes instead of a couple heavy ones, keeps my files sharp a lot longer and they clean easily with a quick swipe of a brush. If I'm in a hurry I can file a 20" full comp chain in five minutes. I favor waiting until the work is done and then I might take ten minutes or more looking over things and piddling.

Hu

Okay thanks. I'll buy the Granberg and keep my Oregon guide for backup. I'll let my kids keep their sidewalk chalk too.

Ah so you pull the file instead of push. I usually give the cutters three strokes after every tank. Probably over kill but I like them to be as sharp as possible. I'm probably screwing up the angles somehow so the Granberg should be dummy proof.

Can't go there, Dude. Real sharp chain will not hesitate for your fingers. I like those thin kevlar gloves. If you can run a finger back over a chain tooth you consider sharp, you've not arrived as a sharpener.

I filled in the blanks as an electrician over the years. Many experienced guys considered a finger stuck in the pipe to be the acid test for smoothness after it was cut to length. If it did not gouge your finger, it would not harm the insulation protecting a conductor from grounding on the conduit. That was a way to perfect filing off burrs left by a hand-held bandsaw and threader. Learn to visually grade the tooth or take up baking.
Post you chain filing video so we will know how to file.

Okay thanks. I'll buy the Granberg and keep my Oregon guide for backup. I'll let my kids keep their sidewalk chalk too.

Ah so you pull the file instead of push. I usually give the cutters three strokes after every tank. Probably over kill but I like them to be as sharp as possible. I'm probably screwing up the angles somehow so the Granberg should be dummy proof.

There is a little learning curve to everything of course, including the granbergs. I keep a black sharpie handy and color the top of the tooth so I know when I complete one side of the loop and I color the entire part I am sharpening on the first tooth. Partially because the new chain is ground and no doubt because the angles aren't 100% identical it will take a little while to sharpen your chain the first time with the granberg. After that the cutter profile matches your granberg set-up and two or three light strokes are plenty if you are touching up every tank. I am mostly cutting soft live wood here so I often finish the job on one chain without resharpening. I live alone on this farm and when I get too carried away cutting down stuff, me, John Deere, and Horace Dodge have to put in some overtime. I like to take it easy on my help so . . . .

Edit: Pulling to the corner seems to help line the tooth with the file if there is any slack, pushing away shoves it out of line, or seems that way to me the way I do things so I pull the file.

Hu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back