• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Remington pro 88

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingman77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got found this saw in my grandfathers shop after he had passed away and got it because of its old, unique look and I wanna redo the day new paint and get it back to running I have everything even the barn no chain and I'd like to know so information about the saw and if I can find some parts I may need as to tearing it down and going through everything any help or just general Info about the saw would be great appreciated

There were two color schemes - all off-white as seen in my avatar (restoration) and red and white, below. You will probably need to repair the coil as the outer coating tends to crack and fall off. There are several posts on it. I've smeared black RTV all over them and then wrap with electrical tape. Some have used liquid electrical tape. Do some searches. It's been a while since I took mine apart but I'll try to help as much as I can. Hopefully your sprocket is usable. Mine was not and they are very hard to find. I wound up using a Homelite 1050 sprocket / drum and had to machine some bronze bushings to make it fit. rem pro 88 red&white.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3761.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
There were two color schemes - all off-white as seen in my avatar (restoration) and red and white, below. You will probably need to repair the coil as the outer coating tends to crack and fall off. There are several posts on it. I've smeared black RTV all over them and then wrap with electrical tape. Some have used liquid electrical tape. Do some searches. It's been a while since I took mine apart but I'll try to help as much as I can. Hopefully your sprocket is usable. Mine was not and they are very hard to find. I wound up using a Homelite 1050 sprocket / drum and had to machine some bronze bushings to make it fit. View attachment 536856
Here's the picture of my saw the magneto looks awful I've got it all torn apart as of now and a few screws are missing

Attachments

• IMG_3765.JPG
    IMG_3765.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
I just realized the difference in the handles. Does the red model have the bottom support tubing? Doesn't look like it from the photos. I believe the Mall/ Remington models share a lot of the screws. I may have some spares from my GP and 2MG - let me know the lengths and screw sizes you need - I'm thinking they are 1/4" coarse threads. If I have them, you're welcome to them.

I've never tried.
Well that will be on the list as if tomorrow evening, I started stripping paint but I don't wanna use sand paper because of the scratched it'll leave and I don't wanna use those awful industrial paint strippers because I've read it's so horrible stuff, along with those screws I'm missing I can send a picture of them cleaned up and measured, I'm also at a loss of how to pull the motor from the casing I've taken all the screws out from what I've seen and found, that will be on the list tomorrow as well. I greatly appreciate the information and the help

Try posting your question in this thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...g-mall-chainsaws.170357/page-105#post-6048144
As far as removal of the engine, I'm going to have to do a little research. It's a little tricky as I recall, but I was learning as well.
Most people clean the old paint by bead blasting or sand blasting. Bead blasting is preferred because it's not as aggressive and removes very little metal.

Try posting your question in this thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...g-mall-chainsaws.170357/page-105#post-6048144
As far as removal of the engine, I'm going to have to do a little research. It's a little tricky as I recall, but I was learning as well.
Most people clean the old paint by bead blasting or sand blasting. Bead blasting is preferred because it's not as aggressive and removes very little metal.
Yes that's why I didn't care for the sand paper usage but I'm gonna get home I'll be home around 4:30 ish and take the clutch off and try to get it out of that case and get everything cleaned up and see if that coil will work for me if not I'll have to figure something out with and for that but as of now I have the carburetor off and cleaned it had some gelled fuel I imagine that I will have to get some cork sheets and remake the Seals for her on the carburetor. And I'll look at those screws today as well.

Engine is a 3 piece deal. Flywheel side case stays with the fuel tank. Center section has piston and crank. PTO side case comes loose with the 4 long bolts and 1 screw into the fuel tank. The bearings are needle rollers so they won't fight you. You have to strip the ignition and clutch all the way to the seals. There might be some retaining clips under that stuff.

There is no 'motor' to pull per se. It is more or less assembled to the fuel tank.

Chris B.

Engine is a 3 piece deal. Flywheel side case stays with the fuel tank. Center section has piston and crank. PTO side case comes loose with the 4 long bolts and 1 screw into the fuel tank. The bearings are needle rollers so they won't fight you. You have to strip the ignition and clutch all the way to the seals. There might be some retaining clips under that stuff.

There is no 'motor' to pull per se. It is more or less assembled to the fuel tank.

Chris B.
Thanks mate, I realized that yesterday when the other half of the handle and half of the tank come off still have some disasembling to do to look and get inside of the motor and see how good she looks or how bad she does, I don't really know if you know or not. But the wile that goes from the spark plug to the coil pack box whatever you wanna call it. Where it connects into there it come out can I put it back in its spot like it should be and it still work?

First, this thread should really moved to the chainsaw forum.

Second, as far as repairing the coil. That depends on which ignition you have. Every Scintilla coil I've encountered had turned to junk. The only repair is to replace it and solder a new plug wire on. Not difficult. Now, I've seen Wico ignitions on these and parts are out there. Fitting a replacement coil is a simple task, especially if you have parts saws to pull from. Generally, the coils are pretty robust and usually only need the points cleaned. The plug wire screws into a socket on these.

That said, you stated the ignition looked awful. I'm betting it's a Scintilla and a new coil is in order. I don't think it's possible to reinstall the broken plug wire on these.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back