remote hand held splitter idea.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Smaller diameter cylinder, short travel ram. Hook to tractor ,skid loader or put some quick disconnects on your regular splitter. Would take 2 people to operate. 1 to hold the splitter in place 1 to operate the controls. Splits as it retracts. Would it work ?? If someone builds one 20140919_201118.jpg I will buy it. I cut my big rounds at 15- 16 inches.

ummm..........why, seems more labour intensive. There a reason they make vertical splitters, for those that enjoy big rounds and adding years on there life with every split.

They are 1500 ish dollars. I'm thinking this could be made for $300 . (Thought you meant inverted) The vertical position is not that easy with a 36 inch plus round

I ain't buying the liability insurance to manufacture that product...I like the cut of yer' jib though...almost an anti-jaws-of-life...?

and why not make the controls electric-over-hyd so it could be a one knucklehead show?

my maul is still faster...just sayin'

ah memories...I was once gonna build a hand hyd lopper for brush clearance...hoooked to skidloader...once.

I deal with alot of big rounds. These are from last year. Most of them are split. But I get more all the time. A maul isn't an option. 20140407_154855.jpg

Whitespider has a cool splitter, a logboss. It pivots around so you can bust big rounds where they sit. Lightweight, according to him, one hand to pick it up and roll it around.

Per drawing there is nothing to split against and the cylinder by itself won't take the stress involved. Once you add needed metal it starts to get heavy very fast. Soon it is heavier than the round.

Mr. HE:cool:

I deal with alot of big rounds. These are from last year. Most of them are split. But I get more all the time. A maul isn't an option. View attachment 369339
The size of the round makes no difference when I swing my maul. Big rounds just mean less time per piece of firewood because I spend less time standing the piece up inside the splitting ring.
The idea might work if you could find someone strong enough to pick it up. Unless you have a good supply of space alien wonder metal that's stronger than steel and much lighter than aluminum the hulk would be needed to operate it.

The size of the round makes no difference when I swing my maul. Big rounds just mean less time per piece of firewood because I spend less time standing the piece up inside the splitting ring.
The idea might work if you could find someone strong enough to pick it up. Unless you have a good supply of space alien wonder metal that's stronger than steel and much lighter than aluminum the hulk would be needed to operate it.
I think it could be built under 50 pounds. It would not be for everyone. But I think it would work perfect for me. I sell the wood so it has to be uniform size. Hand splitting usually gives me stuff that looks like slab wood. And when you get to the center it won't split. I'm only looking to quarter the rounds with this.

Wouldn't work.

Without a backbone structure like all splitters have the ram will see all the "gaping open" force the cylinder can generate. Any side load on a cylinder is bad unless designed to be ran unsupported...like portapower rams.

You're also using the "weaker" side of the cylinder to split by using the retract stroke. You have to subtract the cross-section of the rod from the cross-section of the piston to find the true retract pressure created.

I found a chart that explains that. I Would like to use a 2.5 or 3 inch. 8 inch stroke. There would have to be some metal attached to the cylinder yoke that comes down below the cylinder with a plate on it to split up against. With only 8 inches of travel if it didn't split you could turn it around and come from the other side 8 + 8 = 16.

I deal with alot of big rounds. These are from last year. Most of them are split. But I get more all the time. A maul isn't an option. View attachment 369339

I own and use a hydraulic splitter (just started using it this year after buying it over a year ago...) A maul is ALWAYS an option, regardless of the size of the rounds. In fact, I actually prefer slabbing larger rounds and I spend more time swinging and less time standing up wood to swing at. It's all in the technique. I learned a long time ago that just smashing a big round in the center repeatedly will usually get you little more than just sore muscles. Reading the grain and working from the edge toward the center will usually result in some very nice slabs just popping off, whether oak, maple or spaghetti-elm.

To each his own though!

As Spidey said I would think something like this would work since you already have a tractor.
http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/4663936945.html
Log Splitter 3pt. Hydraulic - $250 (Elkhorn)
<>
00u0u_aX7rgxbH9rr_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_3KAiin5LwJK_600x450.jpg

condition: good
Log Splitter 3pt. Hydraulic, $250.00, No Texting-Call

I will check into that. I would have change it so it was upside down. And I would put a hydraulic center link on the 3 point so I can level it at any height.

Latest posts

Back