Removing decompression valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randose

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What tool is typically used to remove the decomp valve? And what is the size of the hex fitting? None of my sockets and chainsaw multi-tools will fit in the opening in the top of the jug and also reach down far enough to get on the flats of the hex fitting. Working with a Stihl MS460. Seems like should be a no brainer but I am befuddled. Thanks folks.

Thanks for weighing in gents. My 14mm deep socket is too wide to fit into the hole. Perhaps need a thinner walled socket. Regarding the deep spanner wrench idea there is no way that would ever get down in there to reach the lands. Cooling fins are way too tall.

I believe you need a 14 mm deep socket to reach the lands on the valve .

correction , 13mm ...
I believe you need a 14 mm deep socket to reach the lands on the valve .

correction , 13mm ...
Thank you sir. I thought I tried a 13mm but perhaps discovered is missing from my set of metric deep sockets. Will look again.
While I have your expertise looks like upper handle interferes with Use of a ratchet Or extension. Do you remove handle or is there a good workaround? Thanks again.

Sounds like the same size as Husqvarna decompression
Husqvarna bar wrench works for them?
I expected a bar wrench would work. But none of the three stihl bar wrenches I own work. But I do not have the one that came with the MS460 which I bought used. Perhaps is different at on end. Thanks

Thanks for weighing in gents. My 14mm deep socket is too wide to fit into the hole. Perhaps need a thinner walled socket. Regarding the deep spanner wrench idea there is no way that would ever get down in there to reach the lands. Cooling fins are way too tall.
my 13mm deep impact socket is too chubby
and my normal deep socket hits the button

IMG_20201109_125347.jpg

Thank you sir. I thought I tried a 13mm but perhaps discovered is missing from my set of metric deep sockets. Will look again.
While I have your expertise looks like upper handle interferes with Use of a ratchet Or extension. Do you remove handle or is there a good workaround? Thanks again.
If the handle interferes , I’d just use longer extension ,rather than pull the handle .

I use my channellock brand sockets regularly and their 13mm fits nicely down in there.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thank you everybody. I never did find my 13 mm deep, but here’s what I have discovered. Those of you that say a standard deep half inch will work are absolutely correct. The whole issue was trying to work underneath the handle. The slight interference with the handle was changing the angle of entry. Once the handle was removed, a standard wall half inch deep socket slipped in perfectly. Thanks so much everybody. Sorry for being such a dumb-A__.

Thank you everybody. I never did find my 13 mm deep, but here’s what I have discovered. Those of you that say a standard deep half inch will work are absolutely correct. The whole issue was trying to work underneath the handle. The slight interference with the handle was changing the angle of entry. Once the handle was removed, a standard wall half inch deep socket slipped in perfectly. Thanks so much everybody. Sorry for being such a dumb-A__.

13 and 14 mm, pretty much can be used/interchanged with 1/2" and 9/16 ". There are a few others too, (25.4mm = 1"), 19mm 3/4", 8mm 5/16"

Note that some are near exact, others a little loose or tight. On a worn bolt/nut a tight fit might help, but avoid a loose fit on a tight nut/bolt.

You weren’t being a DA . You were unsure of how to go about it ,and asked before just jumping into something ,and making a mistake that could get expensive . Or ,,, “ Experience : That thing you get ,right after you need it . “ .

If we didn't ask questions about what we are not sure about then how could we better our knowledge, hell I've learned both ways, by screwing up and by research before I screw up, the research usually costs a lot less time and money.

Latest posts

Back