Removing Flywhell on Husky Rancher 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper Phil

Reaction score
The Pull start lugs broke of the flywheel. I got the lugs to replace the broken ones.

How is the flywheel removed on the Husky Rancher 55 model?

Pick the answer that you like best.
1. Soak it in oil for a week. Hold the flywheel in a horizontal position and strike the end of the crank shaft with a brass hammer. Special striking nuts/flywheel puller nuts are sometimes used.
2. Drill holes in the flywheel and tap them so you can affix a puller. If you use too small of holes the first time, tap them larger so the threads won't pull next time.
3. Use an automotive type puller that has jaws to wrap around the outside of the flywheel and pull it that way.
4. Strike the flywheel on the side opposite the magnets with a dead blow hammer. You should strike at 90* to the crankshaft. Support the opposite end if possible.
5. Heat the flywheel until just before it melts (approx.1300*+-) and tap on the back of it with a wooden mallet.
6. Take it to your under appreciated and maligned local dealer and ask him to do it. He will use one of the above methods, but he knows how. He has done a lot of them and won't mess it up. You are putting $100 flywheel in jeopardy to save maybe $10. Mike

Originally posted by rupedoggy
Excuse me for asking but just how the f*^% do you break off steel flywheel paws with a plastic starter ratchet/pulley? Mike

Thats exactly what I Thought!! But they broke none the less....Saw is 2 years old, not a daily user but has a lot of time under it.

Thanks for the laughs rupedoggy!

Saw is headed to my friendly local dealer on Monday. The saw has never failed in all it's use. Had some chains and bars but never any type of mechanical failure.

I'll take a guess and say that an impact was used to remove the clutch nut and was spun the wrong way,which in turn, (literally) when spun,were caught by the starter teeth which are on the pull starter and tore the ears off the flywheel.
would have been easier if the keyway would of sheared but hey,what fun would it be if thats all that happened?
Like I said though, its just a guess.I could be wrong.............................

Latest posts

Back