Repeat Climb False Crotch (Chain/Steel cord vs Strap/Rope)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviD

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here's a sample pic of a false crotch with a strap:

Produit_Image_494.jpg

I was wondering for repeated climbs, if I wanted to leave a false crotch in place for an extended period of time, such that I would carry a climbing line in with me and leave a throw line behind to "swap out" with when I arrive, is there any concern in leaving either a strap or rope (thread) based false crotch behind and exposed to the elements and critters that may otherwise compromise the security of the crotch?

Alternately I was thinking about using a steel cord or chain based false crotch which I could set up after initially using a strap/rope based one and reaching the respective height.

Any thoughts on that?

tree stand set up

If you use srt/ ascenders the rope doesn,t have to slide over the crotch, it stays static, tied off to the bottom of the tree your in, or an adjoining tree, no real need for a false crotch. if pine sap is going to be a problem get some tubular webbing from rei or ems store, and threaded links, use a water or beer knot to create a loop and threaded links to make inexpensive false crotches.

Corey

Back