Replace Stihl 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went and priced the MS-461, at $1290 w 20" bar. Then looked at the Huskys.
What are the opinions on a Husky 365 $990 (71cc) or Husky 372xp $1225 (also 71cc)?

No.

Go to the classifieds here & find what you are looking for.

Also, the site that can't be named is a good source.

My great old Stihl 038 Magnum was stolen yesterday. Right out the back of my truck, when I stopped for breakfast.

I need a powerful, saw, large displacement. Something that will match the performance of that great old saw.

What would you look at today?

Find a clean 046, 460 or new 461...

77cc FTW :)

DSCN8434.JPG

UNBELIEVABLE NEWS!!

We were in Edmonton today, and I got a text from my nephew, that a Stihl 038 Magnum was posted on DORKbook, in our town. As soon as I looked at the saw, I recognized it due to a dent I had put in the lower handguard.

I got home searched through my receipt file, found the original sales receipt dated May 4 2018, serial number listed!! Ya!!
Raced to the local constabulary, filed a report. The individual is 'well known' to the RCMP.

So I am extremely hopeful about getting the old saw back.

I will update you as this unfolds...

It would be hard for some of us to recover a stolen saw since I haven't bought a new one since the 70s and never save many receipts...

I try to take 5 pictures of each saw in my collection - front back, both sides, and bottom. And if it has a serial number, I'll write that on the tag and take a pic. If someone steals my saws, house burns down, the movers lose them, etc., I should be able to prove value.

DSCN2790.JPG

My bunch of saws isn't actually a "collection", just a bunch of saws I use or am trying to sell. Haven't really had a theft problem where I live except when I try to sell to the ebay scammers, which is becoming a more rare thing.

My bunch of saws isn't actually a "collection", just a bunch of saws I use or am trying to sell. Haven't really had a theft problem where I live except when I try to sell to the ebay scammers, which is becoming a more rare thing.

Curious to hear more about eBay scammers -- are these the folks who buy a saw, then replace some original parts with crap and then return it? Or do they somehow force a refund and you never get your saw back?

Thanks

Today I looked through all my picture files and found exactly 1 picture of my 038 Mag... but it was the perfect picture.
Eons ago, I put a big dent in the handle, couple inches from the bottom, and my picture clearly shows this dent, as does the DORKbook ad that the perp has posted.

Went straight to the cops with the pic (as if serial number wasn't adequate).

Today I looked through all my picture files and found exactly 1 picture of my 038 Mag... but it was the perfect picture.
Eons ago, I put a big dent in the handle, couple inches from the bottom, and my picture clearly shows this dent, as does the DORKbook ad that the perp has posted.

Went straight to the cops with the pic (as if serial number wasn't adequate).
Great! Hope you get it back. Seriously, as the only thing that would fill the void of a beloved 038 Mag, is well, another 038 Mag. Lol

Curious to hear more about eBay scammers -- are these the folks who buy a saw, then replace some original parts with crap and then return it? Or do they somehow force a refund and you never get your saw back?

Thanks
Anybody who sells saws on ebay for very long knows all the tricks that scammers pull. Several just need a saw to cut up a tree in the yard so they buy a good running saw, use it till they get their job done then say the saw was hard to start or something like that and ebay gives them their money back and the seller has to pay the postage back or he doesn't get his saw returned. "Not as described" is the words they use to get ebay to void the sale. Then there are the parts changers that don't send you back the saw as you originally sold it, I guess it's a cheap way to get some good parts. There are posts on this site as well as others on how people got conned on ebay. Ebay itself has forums on bad buyers/sellers..At this time I'm checking out alternate ways to sell some saws but it seems that none have the nationwide exposure that ebay has..

Anybody who sells saws on ebay for very long knows all the tricks that scammers pull. Several just need a saw to cut up a tree in the yard so they buy a good running saw, use it till they get their job done then say the saw was hard to start or something like that and ebay gives them their money back and the seller has to pay the postage back or he doesn't get his saw returned. "Not as described" is the words they use to get ebay to void the sale. Then there are the parts changers that don't send you back the saw as you originally sold it, I guess it's a cheap way to get some good parts. There are posts on this site as well as others on how people got conned on ebay. Ebay itself has forums on bad buyers/sellers..At this time I'm checking out alternate ways to sell some saws but it seems that none have the nationwide exposure that ebay has..

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of selling several dozen saws and had planned to use eBay.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of selling several dozen saws and had planned to use eBay.
You can try it, my average is pretty good on ebay. I guess I just hate to get scammed when I know I sell a good product and have to buy it back. I would guess it's about 1 in 25 or so that will cost you money. I'm not saying I'll never use ebay again, just not as often as in the past..

UNBELIEVABLE NEWS!!

We were in Edmonton today, and I got a text from my nephew, that a Stihl 038 Magnum was posted on DORKbook, in our town. As soon as I looked at the saw, I recognized it due to a dent I had put in the lower handguard.

I got home searched through my receipt file, found the original sales receipt dated May 4 2018, serial number listed!! Ya!!
Raced to the local constabulary, filed a report. The individual is 'well known' to the RCMP.

So I am extremely hopeful about getting the old saw back.

I will update you as this unfolds...

Hey sorrt for the double post just wanted to make sure you got tagged properly with a quote. I saw a 38magnum on kijiji Edmonton today

Back