Replacing a Stihl 440 Mag with a Husqvarna 562xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hustihler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking for some good sound advice, so here goes. My current firewood arsenal includes a Husky 346xpNE, and 3 Stihls a -009L, 261, and a 440 Mag; the 346 and 261 do the lion's share of the cutting, the 440 is our "Big Saw", and the 009L collects dust, lol(actually it's the first Stihl that my Dad ever purchased). My question is that I'm contemplating trading the 440 in for a new 562xp, and I'm wondering if the 562xp will fill my "Big Saw" slot well. From what I've read on this site, and from talking to my local dealer it seems the 562xp w/ 20" techlite bar would make an awesome lightweight package for my needs. It seems that it's a lot of people's opinions that the 562xp is real close to a 372xp and some even feel that the 372xp is slightly better than the 440's, so by that logic the 562xp should be real, real close to my 440 in terms of power. I also do realize that there is no replacement for displacement, I'm just wondering how close the 440 and 562 are in the real world. I'm a firewood scavenger(15-20 cords a year) and most of the wood I cut is 20" and under, but I do run into some 24"-36" stuff every now and again(the biggest to date is a 36" red oak that the 440 with a 20" bar carved up nicely). I've read a lot of posts on this site and watched a lot of youtube vids and it does seem like that 562 is a mini-monster. If I do trade I would have to come up with a couple hundred bucks to go along with the 440 in order to get a new 562, and by the way I'm not trying to start another Stihl vs. Husky debate, just looking for some insight from folks who have owned or run both saws. Also the 440 has a dual port muffler and runs great, I've just never owned a 60cc saw and the 562xp sounds like a winner.

i dont think you will be able to do with the 562 what you can the 440.i know the 562 is a mean little saw but its hards to make up 10cc stock for stock.now if you ha d aturd of a 440 and a beast of a 562 the distance between the two would not be much. if the 440 and the 562 are average saws id take the 440.

Maybe you should take s close look at the 365xt. Grind off the restrictor plates and you have a 372xt for the same or less money than a 562. I agree with Terry in that a big wood saw the 562 aint gonna really do as fast as what a good 70cc saw will in the big wood.
Or just get your 440 ported

Last edited:
im not being biased against the 562 saying it wont replace a 440 either. i happen to own a brand spanken new never been fueled never been put in the wood 562xp. well it has been fueled since i ported it but i doubt it would be a replacement for a ported 440. everyone at the tn gtg will have the chance to run a hot ported 562xp on june 16th. woohooooo

I own a 70cc (365 x-torq) and have run a 562xp. I agree with others here that on big stuff, there is no replacement for displacement. I have never ran a 440 but I expect some SIMILARITIES between it and the 365. What I can tell you about the 562xp is that it measures up to and likely surpasses all in the 60cc class. It is lightening fast with amazing throttle response. Best of all, this performance comes in a light, nimble saw for its class with auto-tune technology. I ran the 562xp in a small log with a 20" bar and never got to burry it to feel how much you could lean on it. I cut a 10" log and it felt like the cut was over before the saw could fully rev up, I mean fast!!

This saw is to the 60cc class everything that the 346xp is to the 50cc class (and maybe more). If you need 70cc and like to run BIG bars, consider keeping the 440. If the high performance 60cc stuff fits your needs, 562xp is a fierce competitor (IMO)................AX.

Nice post. In wood up to 20" (which aint exactly little for firewood) the 562xp really shines IMO. Im always impressed at how it hangs with my stock xpw.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I'll keep my 440(after all she was the very first Stihl I used my hard-earned money to buy, actually it was the first chainsaw I ever bought!). She's a good strong runner, and I'll wait to save up a few more dollars and purchase a 562 later on down the road-theres always a need for one more chainsaw anyway!

Stick with the 440 or go for the 365xt or 2166 and grind out the transfer restrictors. If you run into a 24-36" log with a 562xp its going to kill your productivity compared to the grunt a 70cc saw can deliver with a longer bar.

Back