Requesting township approval...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found out yesterday that I need township approval to operate a 'business' out of my home. I kind of knew that, but didn't want to go there. We have 5 3/4 acres near the edge of the township. There is a 30' ravine/30 acre wetland on two sides, a 70+ acre preserve on the other, and 60 acres across the street that is woodland and zoned open space/agricultural. There is an old house on that property that is rented out. My neighbor has rented for ten years and we have become friends. The property owner is 85, and uses my splitter to split what amounts to a wheel barrow or two of beech in the back of his ranger pickup several times a week all spring and now again, in the fall. One neighbor started filling in the wetland so I called DEQ. There is that, what I would call 'a bit of a rub'. He asked me why I could not be a more Christian neighbor. Because the 'business' would not be contained 'within the house' I need 'special approval' for material stored outside, or to use a garage, or out-building. Oh, and I also live on a deadend road, so not much traffic, but it is zoned river front residential even though I'm not on, or even very near, a river. The whole thing is I want to do a business to limit personal liability, so I don't loose my house by selling a bit of firewood and doing what to me is fun. This process is going to take awhile, and then if approved, it is an annual permit. Nice... Wish me luck, or call me stupid...

red tape

Perhaps things are different over there. This could only get worse for ya.
"more of a Christian neighbor...":bowdown:
Not being particularly religious does have it's advantages on occasion. I have no problem telling someone where to go, how to get there and would they like ice water with that.

Thus far I have managed not to piss off anyone out here. I have 3.5 and zoned residential. Big sign at end of drive, about 100 cords of wood in the yard, trucks all over the place, splitters and chainsaws me screaming :angry2: (not really).

Anyway.... lots of luck.

Dropped off the application. Person I needed to talk to is out till Monday. Per regulations the application will have to go through planning commission approval for 'special use'. At this point I'm guessing, but I think adjacent property owners will have to be notified, notice of special approval request posted in the paper, appear at a public planning commission meeting for questions/public comments, and then probably wait a bit. If I could only afford to buy a few acres across the street, but I can't... It would certainly be quicker, much quicker. At this point it is like pulling the trigger and waiting to see if the shot is going to hit my foot or not. Patrick62: On the bright side, I only have seventy cord of wood in the yard.

It has nothing to do with traffic, out buildings, machinery, or the wood for that matter. Its has all to do with that last part. The annual permit! :sure:

It has nothing to do with traffic, out buildings, machinery, or the wood for that matter. Its has all to do with that last part. The annual permit! :sure:

Dump some used motor oil in the vicinity of his well and tell him you were doing the "Christian" thing

I am on the planning commission here, never heard of the annual permit part though. Here, you would be paying business taxes just like anyone else. And here to, the neighbors will be notified for a zoning hearing which, if here, you would have to see them first to get the "special exception".

I hear tell that there was a time, when a person payed there good hard cash
for there land. They could do what. They wanted to on it.
ohhh yea I forgot. Some one else wants money for doing nothing
wish land owners could charge these people an inconvenience fee..
:msp_mad:

I hear tell that there was a time, when a person payed there good hard cash
for there land. They could do what. They wanted to on it.
ohhh yea I forgot. Some one else wants money for doing nothing
wish land owners could charge these people an inconvenience fee..
:msp_mad:

That holds to an extent, but then there's a time when your neighbor who paid good hard cash for his land does something that makes your land (for which you paid good hard cash), lose its value.

Like dumping used motor oil close to someones well. Lol

I can see if the guy was turning it into a toxic waist dump. Or flooding your land buy.
Building a dam. That I get. But to charge someone a repeated fee to run there
property as a business is just this sorry azz government's way of getting something for nothing.
Its just another case of someone sticking there nose where. It ddont belong.
OK sorry I'm getting off the soap box now. Lol

Feel bad for you.

North Dakota is business friendly.
Here you can run a business from your home out building or your yard.
No one cares, its all about the money.

Licensing Information

Licenses issued by Attorney General

Alcoholic Beverage License
Amusement Games
Bingo/Raffles/Professional Sports Pools
Fireworks
Gaming License
Manufacture/Distribute Gaming Equipment and Supplies
Polygraph
Tobacco
Transient Merchant

Licenses issued by Secretary of State

Charitable Solicitation License
Contractor License
Notary Public
Professional Fundraiser

Everything else, just make money, pay your taxes, raise a good family respect your neighbors.

Like dumping used motor oil close to someones well. Lol

I can see if the guy was turning it into a toxic waist dump. Or flooding your land buy.
Building a dam. That I get. But to charge someone a repeated fee to run there
property as a business is just this sorry azz government's way of getting something for nothing.
Its just another case of someone sticking there nose where. It ddont belong.
OK sorry I'm getting off the soap box now. Lol

I largely agree with you...but in the context of a business it's tough for the law to define what a big business is and what a small business is.

If my neighbor started something like a gravel crushing yard or something, I'd certainly have a problem with it. It's tough to make an exhaustive list of what businesses can and cant exist in a given area. Unless there are truly some idiots on his town board, my guess is that there will be no issue here.

Something else I have seen happen is people running medical/dental/chiropractic stuff out of their homes. It's fine until there are so many cars that nobody can get parking etc.

Kind of funny ain't it? Eerybody is so D*mn worried their neighbor might be "getting away" with something. The land of the free and we need a permit just to P*ss on a tree.

Good luck to the OP with the politcal BS and hope it works for you.

Sounds to me like you have your own personal firewood on your property and all is fine. However if someone NEEDS some of your wood they can donate a certain quantity to your charity that supports firewood production.

You got any lawyer friends or buds in the township?? It ain't what you know, its who's bread you can butter.

Latest posts

Back