Response to tree huggers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people just don't have any understanding of what we do. They just see GREEN=GOOD, CHAINSAW=EVIL. They don't see a 400yr old live oak getting wolfed out by a P.O.S. hackberry or chinaberry that will only live 20yrs tops. They also fail to see that they were lied to in their ecology classes - There is no such thing as a climax community that remains the same forever. Even the oldest bristle cone will die. Nothing lasts forever. There is no "average temperature or species composition" in an ecosystem. They are always changing.

Here in Texas, much of our live oak monoculture on the Edward's Plateau was grassland with buffalo 150yrs ago. Many Southern yellow pine stands in the south east are not ancient as most think. They were cotton fields 50 yrs ago. These "green people" see every tree as a redwood that in their mind will live forever even if it is just a chinaberry.

I try to educate my clients about the benefits of a redistribution of growth potential but I just don't get paid enough to educate every whiner that already has their mind closed.

I removed 72 AZ Ash this spring and had several hecklers yelling and taking pictures, interfering, etc. I asked the owner what I should do if they start chaining themselves to trees. He just replied, "Notch 'em above their head".

Protesters may think redneck, etc to my bad attitude but time is money on these jobs with rented equipment and lots of labor. Slowing me down is stealing money from me and taking bread from my mouth. Messing with my money is like messing with my emotions - don't do it!!

here's another good story about scarey tree men. this happened about 15 years ago. i was told the story by a guy who was in a tree next to him. they were pruning tree's by an apartment building and the climber got into an argument with some one in a window, he was not sure about what. the climber pulled out a 22 and emptied the gun into the window. no one was hit. but when my bud saw what happened he dropped out of the tree and the cops were swarming the site before he could coil his rope. then you wonder why tree men get a bad rap.

Latest posts

Back