Restoring a Husqvarna 272 Xp saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a 272 Xp years ago and never got to it. The more I look at it the more it needs. I ordered the bottom end crank bearings and seals, gaskets. I’m going to try one of those Hyway titanikel pop up piston kits. Plus it has the compression release. Plus a ported muffler. Anyone try this Hyway titanikel cylinder yet? New carb and fuel system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174750300494

I picked up a 272 Xp years ago and never got to it. The more I look at it the more it needs. I ordered the bottom end crank bearings and seals, gaskets. I’m going to try one of those Hyway titanikel pop up piston kits. Plus it has the compression release. Plus a ported muffler. Anyone try this Hyway titanikel cylinder yet? New carb and fuel system.
I have a oem full wrap handle I might get rid of if you want ot need it!

This could be on the leading edge of technology. Years ago cylinders were hard chrome plated then they went to nickasil.
Due to the pop up piston the decomp valve may come in handy.
I believe it’s titainium coated nickasil.

My new flyway titanikel plated cylinder showed up. It’s one of the best overall plating jobs I’ve seen. No flaws just a even plating job. I contacted wolf creek saw shop about them, they replied that they been installing them with no problems. I look forward to running my 272xp with one. No porting just stock.

If this turns out to be good as it sounds I have a few used saws I purchased that are low on compression that may need rings but if the cylinder is scored I may go with the titanikel kit

Huskybill, nah... I'm gonna keep it stock ports and carb. Unless it feels like a dog after the kit, then maybe the carb. But I may polish up the port tracks tho! My kit just showed up yesterday and I need to take a better/longer look of the plate job. Just was a fast unbox and pics before work.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 15
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 15
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (4).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (4).jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 15
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (5).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (5).jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 14
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (6).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (6).jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 13
If I were you, I would NOT put a non genuine carb in. I have had a lot of problems with them. Rather, get some carb cleaner and do a thorough carb clean, after which, replace the diaphragms and other things that come in those kits, like the inlet needle. It does not matter if they are Chinese or not, but if you can get and afford the genuine parts, do so.
I have put Chinese pistons and cylinders in before and it worked fine. So I'm not against them.

Back