Return of the CAD: Episode 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Honest, guys, I was just minding my own business late last night when I found a CL listing on a Stihl 044. I sure didn't need it. But so many guys have written great things about this saw I thought I'd better go check it out.
And here it is.

When will this CAD ever stop?

Under the grime

Under the grime, this saw looks pretty good. The plastic is very sunburned; I'm not sure if I'll sand it and clear-coat it or replace it. Or maybe just wait and see. The 20-inch bar looks terrible, but on close inspection it looks like the rails are very sound--just looks like a beater. Chain is Stihl yellow chain (RS?); lots of life left in it. Warning sticker, serial number (140433078) and Made in Germany logo seem to indicate that it was built about in the middle 1990s.

The thing reeked of old, stale gas so I flushed out the tank with fresh premix that I brought with me before we started it. it was hard to start--hadn't been used in quite a while. But then it started and it ran OK. When I got home I began pulling pulling off exterior pieces to clean and inspect. Nothing appears to be broken or missing. The cylinder and two-ring piston look perfect. The muffler has one small hole; I'll probably get a DP cover. Air filter was dirty but no dirt on the inside of the element nor in the carb throat. I've quit cleaning for tonight; just wanted to share the good news about this poor old CAD sufferer. Not many larger saws pop up in this area, so I just had to go for it!

Nice Score! As I have stated so many times before, the 044 is my fav saw. The one you got looks like it will clean up nice! Personally, even if the rails aren't worn out I would go for a new bar...probably a 25" or 28" (my prefence, as you have seen the big wood we go for up in Los Padres).

As for the plastic, I have had excellent results with a product called "Plastic Renew", which comes as a kit with steel wool and plastic polish. It really works, and is avilable at most dirt bike and motorcycle shops (but you probably already knew that, right?)

Enjoy your new saw, :chainsaw:

Saw Safe,

Bounty Hunter

Nice Score! As I have stated so many times before, the 044 is my fav saw. The one you got looks like it will clean up nice! Personally, even if the rails aren't worn out I would go for a new bar...probably a 25" or 28" (my prefence, as you have seen the big wood we go for up in Los Padres).

As for the plastic, I have had excellent results with a product called "Plastic Renew", which comes as a kit with steel wool and plastic polish. It really works, and is avilable at most dirt bike and motorcycle shops (but you probably already knew that, right?)

Enjoy your new saw, :chainsaw:

Saw Safe,

Bounty Hunter
I have cleaned up orange Stihl plastic using wet or dry sandpaper starting at about 600 and working up to 1200 grit, using water of course. Then Plast-X and/or car wax to shine it up. Takes off sun oxidation. Nice saw. I really like using an 044. It just feels and sounds right.

You're out of control Ken:greenchainsaw:

I know, I am out of control. Somebody hep me! (After I get just a couple more saws, that is.)

Thanks for the tips on renewing the oxidized plastic. Any other ideas? I've seen the good results other have achieved but this will be the first time for me to try this. Snelling are you there? I've read that you just clear-coat old plastic but as I recall, you do not sand first? The plastic on this saw is in good shape, but very sun faded. Will clear coat alone do the trick?

I've never understood how somebody can let their saw get to looking so bad. Heck, even if I was given an 044, I'd keep it clean and sharp. If I had to spend $750 or $800 to buy one new, it would be kept even cleaner. Of course it would be dirty when in use, but never stored that way.

I've never understood how somebody can let their saw get to looking so bad. Heck, even if I was given an 044, I'd keep it clean and sharp. If I had to spend $750 or $800 to buy one new, it would be kept even cleaner. Of course it would be dirty when in use, but never stored that way.

The short answer is: more money than common sense.

The reason the seller gave me was long and convoluted. Saw was stored in girlfriend's dad's shed where it was left by her ex who was in a business that "always bought the best" for the business, blah, blah, blah.

I agree with you; I take care of my stuff to the point of being anal-retentive. At a very early age I was taught to take care of my things in order to make them last. And that was part of why I had to rescue this saw and treat it right once more. I'll do more cleanup work tonight and post more photos; it's coming along well.

Olyeller

great looking saw. theyre cool arent they.

it even looks like 12mm wrist pin saw. so you can do 046 Big bore top end and run with the big boys or just 044 bigbore and port.

or just port the 50mm stock cylinder.

or clean it up and just use it. thats probly the best thing to.

yes keep the pics comeing.

thanks for shareing

Evan

Ahh, I am sorry you have been infected with CAD. The cure is to get rid of those saws, especially that nasty ol 044. :D But seriously it will clean up nicely, and bars dont need to be pretty.

Nice find :cheers:

nice

i jest got one a couple weeks ago and still got to clean the plastics and am waiting on a piston from baileys let me know the plastics clean up and how so i can do the same nice score
Kevin

meguiars-endurance-high-gloss-tyre-gel_3_1.jpg

This is the best stuff I have used on sunburnt plastic. It actually soaks into stihl orange plastic.

Last edited:
It's great!

Kind of off topic here, but how do you like your Toyota truck?

For what I do, this older-generation Tundra 4x4 is just perfect. I've had Ford and Dodge 2WD trucks and this Tundra rides so much better there's no comparison. This truck rides like a car, yet does just fine for mild off-road, hauling 2 or 3 motorcycles, etc. I got this from my boss and I've driven the new 4x4 Tundra he has and that ride is terrible too. I wouldn't trade this truck for any other truck except for a similar one with fewer miles--I've got just over 100,000 miles on it now.

More photos

More cleaning of the 044 tonight, and as promised, here are more photos. Turns out this saw is in fantastic shape under the oily grime. Closer inspection shows a perfect piston, zero marks or scratches on cylinder walls. As you can see in the exhaust port and muffler there's very little carbon build-up, which leads me to believe this saw bumped around in a truck more than it was run. And it must have been run with good mix.

Air filter was mostly dusty from sitting. I did a quick treatment of the sunburned plastics first with Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish, then a mix of Armor All and car wax--stuff that I had on hand. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better now. I think I'll get a bottle of that stuff Wiggs is recommending and see if that improves things. The plastic is all intact, hardly any light scratches much less a single gouge. So I'd hate to toss these pieces just to pretty things up since they're still perfectly functional.

More photos. I feel a bit guilty I don't clean things as well as, say Brad Snelling does with his projects, but I got the saw good enough for my assessment/checkout prior to running it.

Latest posts

Back