Return of the CAD: Episode 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think this gamble paid off?

Well, I feel like I rolled the dice on this saw and came up a big winner. It looked so ratty I almost passed on buying it. But now I'm glad I didn't, and I haven't even cut so much as a twig with it yet! Think this $200 gamble paid off?

After flushing out the fuel tank, I checked inside and there was no sludge, the fuel line feels nice and lively and the fuel filter was OK too. So everything should run OK. I probably won't be able to fire it up and cut until this weekend due to the short days--rats!

I've got another 20-inch Stihl bar to mount on this saw and I'll probably get a DP cover for it too; this is the small-hole single exhaust, right? And a DP cover should perk it up? I'd rather bolt on a DP cover than mod the cover myself since I want to have a spark arrestor on it. Or should I just elongate the stock hole? It looks like it would be hard to reach with a Dremel.

As I said in my original post, I really wasn't looking for another saw, but I've been keeping thoughts of an 044/440 or an 064/660 in the back of my mind since so many people have made such strong recommendations for these saws.

Thanks for the helpful hints and the encouragement; you guys are great!

Olyeller

this is the small-hole single exhaust, right? And a DP cover should perk it up? I'd rather bolt on a DP cover than mod the cover myself since I want to have a spark arrestor on it. Or should I just elongate the stock hole? It looks like it would be hard to reach with a Dremel.

It looks like the better, big hole muffler. A DP will wake it up some. If you want to keep the arrestor, I say DP for sure. BTW it looks good. Id say the gamble paid off.

Big or little exhaust outlet?

Wiggs are you sure this is the large single exhaust port? It looks kind of restrictive to me. Anybody else know about 044 mufflers?

No intent to dis you Wiggs, just trying to make sure before I put out the money for a DP cover.

Olyeller

attachment.php

Attached it for ya. Im no expert on the Stihls, because in the time that I could walk out and look at ours, somebody else will pitch in and tell ya whats up.

Hey olyeller,

Looks like the smaller exhaust port hole...same size as the 044 I ran at the So Cal GTG...which I since enlarged (from about 5/16" dia. to almost 7/16")
The mod really helps the saw stay at RPM under load, especially at the altitude we typically work.
I enlarged the hole by taking the cover off and removing the screen...then working the hole larger with the tip of a rotary chain grinder. This tool was long and narrow enough to get in there and do the job.

Bounty Hunter

attachment.php

Attached it for ya. Im no expert on the Stihls, because in the time that I could walk out and look at ours, somebody else will pitch in and tell ya whats up.

yea, im thinking not now. It looks different blown up like that. Either way, its not hard to open the choked up hole, and retain the spark arrester.

Looks like you did REAL good on this deal!

Thanks, Brad. Kind of funny, but it's easier to look at the piston in these photos rather than peering through the exhaust port. In the photos the piston and rings look almost new; I haven't checked compression or even run it yet, but I think this saw will be a winner. As I said initially, not a single thing broken or missing on this saw--but it sure looked RATTY when I first laid eyes on it. And with the pre-owned cosmetic dings, now I won't worry about little scratches the saw and I might gather along the way.

Thanks for the support and kind thoughts, guys.

Olyeller

175 psi

I checked compression on this 044 today and it topped out at 175 psi! Seems like it's just getting broken in, no worries here about the piston and cylinder. I made one cut with it but the chain looks like it beat around the bed of a pickup truck so much some of the teeth ends are actually bent down a bit! I'll try to sharpen it, but it may need a new chain, no big deal. I have another 20-inch bar to fit to it. And I ordered a dual-port cover. A little more detailing and this will be one fine saw.

Olyeller

you did very good mine is at 175 with base gasket removed.

the heavy duty clutch cover realy livens up the stance of these saws, if thats what you meant by detailing? :cheers:

you did very good mine is at 175 with base gasket removed.

the heavy duty clutch cover realy livens up the stance of these saws, if thats what you meant by detailing? :cheers:

Actually, I was referring to little-little things such as another bar, tending to the chain, touching up the paint a bit and trying to bring more color to the sun-faded plastic. I'll get the dual-port muff cover, but I don't really need big dogs, full-wrap handles or any of that stuff for my firewood cutting. I guess I just like piddling around with cleaning up a neglected saw and doing small fix-its, not anything major beyond a carb rebuild. I see how you other guys port saws, replace seals, fix oilers, resurrect Frankenstein parts saws from little more than sawdust and stuff like that, and it just makes me tired to think about doing all that. Although I do love to see those great hop-ups and restorations so many of you do.

Although I could get jazzed about building an expansion chamber...

Olyeller

Gotta get my butt down to the auto store...

You should try the endurance tire gel on that plastic. It works wonders, and last's forever. Good stuff.

Thanks for the recommendation, Wiggs. After you posted a picture of Maguire's Endurance earlier, I wrote the name down and the pad is sitting right next to my as I type this. Just have to shake loose of work duties to go grab me some. I want to try this stuff out, and then I'll report back on my results.

Olyeller

nothing wrong with leavn them as is. your saw will clean up very good. ive found that a scotch brite cleaning pad and lots of elbo grease brings back the white color to the handle and tank. even a sponge sanding pad the medium grit works to if the handle is realy discolored.

is the bar worn out?
if its not wore out and it were mine and get wire wheel on grinder and srip all the paint off it then get fine sanding disc on the grinder and polish it. i think the bare metal look is cool and unigue plus it wont wear off

Last edited:
Meguiars tire gel works!

i jest got one a couple weeks ago and still got to clean the plastics and am waiting on a piston from baileys let me know the plastics clean up and how so i can do the same nice score
Kevin

Using the advice I got from Wigglesworth, I went to three stores looking for Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel to treat the sunburned plastic on my 044. Turns out Meguiars makes about 100 different products and I couldn't find Endurance. So I picked up some Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Gel for $8 and decided to try it. Bottom line: It works for bringing back the color to Stihl orange plastic. Here are before and after photos--a big difference as you can see.

Thanks for the tip, Wiggs. Now I'm going to try sharpening the thrashed chain to see if I can save it and avoid buying a new one.

Olyeller

Latest posts

Back