Revolutionary?....I think so for trainees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you`re thinking of having an in-experienced climber use this ZZ system so there are no worries in regard to him tying a proper friction hitch & this is going to speed him up in the department of takedowns?

First off no gadget or "tool" is gonna make a guy a good climber, let alone provide him knowledge aloft to do what is right, you put an in-experienced guy up there with this ZZ you better prepare for property damage!! if he/she cant tie knots on the ground or run a saw proficiently then you`re gonna have problems, they should be a good groundie before becoming a climber.

Whats scary is someone thinking to teach a newbie in a "large" removal by having him use this thing, all for the sake of speed & worry of tying a knot properly, Wow..........!

LXT..........

Some things never change...you are still as dumb a fuch as you used to be

So you`re thinking of having an in-experienced climber use this ZZ system so there are no worries in regard to him tying a proper friction hitch & this is going to speed him up in the department of takedowns?

First off no gadget or "tool" is gonna make a guy a good climber, let alone provide him knowledge aloft to do what is right, you put an in-experienced guy up there with this ZZ you better prepare for property damage!! if he/she cant tie knots on the ground or run a saw proficiently then you`re gonna have problems, they should be a good groundie before becoming a climber.

Whats scary is someone thinking to teach a newbie in a "large" removal by having him use this thing, all for the sake of speed & worry of tying a knot properly, Wow..........!

LXT..........
a tool for a tool

Just received it and very cool set up. Today a rainer here so set it up on my lat machine and it is smooth as silk and feathery responsive. I think you could do what we used to call a Miller jump out of a 100 ' oak (used to race to ground and loser buys the beer) and stop on a dime. No sit back, you can feed line straight through it when ascending. Almost Rolex like in construction...absolutely love it. And just as I thought...you can just feed the working end of the cl line thru it to set up or re tie, but a splice won't be going thru it. Who needs it tho.

What size rope you using on it? I was reading another forum and the one guy said his 1/2" vortex was not running smooth, i have vortex and arbormaster 1/2 lines.

I don't see this tool as being any more or any less revolutionary than any of all the other different but similar tools that are available. Personally, I feel they all add a little more danger to the job as they all are contructed with alot of small, not readily visable, wearable moving parts which, in this unbelievably confounded industry, is not such a great idea so I will be sticking with friction hitches ( I usually need 2, sometimes 3 per tree) and leave the arguing to ya'll. And yeah, ya gotta watch where yer throttling that Wraptor into.

I do not think it would be wise to forego teaching on the older methods and having a new climber "cut his teeth" on this or any mechanical device for that matter. When a climber is aloft he is the one who is ultimately responsible for his life and as a teacher of climbers it would be terrible on my part to not equip them mentally with the skills to handle the emergency situations that can and do happen while climbing. Start slow and stay low may sound cliche but as I have gotten older in this industry it has become all too clear the needed emphasis on safe climbing practices and training. I like the idea of the Zig Zag but then I look at the opening on the metal plate for the chipper winch line and see the grooves cut into it by grit impregnated amsteel blue and it gets me thinking..... Anyhoo its been a long day in the snow/sleet/rain of good ole Ohio so goodnight.

I see the taughtline and Blakes as dinosaurs because they are not able to be slack tended and therefore add that dimension to danger to the new guy. Not the case with this.

New guys won't be using my Wraptor...no way! Pantins...and ascendtree...sure.

yes the taughtline n blakes are def out dated for sure. I just think you gotta learn to walk before you can run. I would never encourage a climber to use these knots on a reg basis but I would expect any climber, new or old to know them and have at least climbed a couple trees with em. Or at least rappelled down a spar or two just so they know they do actually work. They work in the sense that they hold you and you wont fall.

I climbed for a few years on hemp rope. Nobody thought the nylon line would catch on. After it did nobody needed to go back and see how the hemp worked.

But yes, I can see emergency situations that just a piece of rope and a saddle could come into play if you dropped the device etc.. One day I drove a long way to a job and had no saddle and made one out of cl line and climbed all day on it.

So you plan on training a climber that knows so little about climbing that if he leaves you he will not be able to climb because all he knows how to climb with is the ZZ?

And this logic comes from a guy that has been in the tree biz for over 30 years?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have him close his eyes before he makes every pruning cut, too!

You've been building up for this big dramatic question for hours now and finally flatulated it out lol.

Been in the biz for well over 40 years contrary to you who hasn't done schit in well over 40 years.

Hey....it is a good mechanical prussik, a new guy (or old fart like you) would see an improvement over the old set up (if you had even been up a tree in 20 years) and it would aid in training and thus increase your bottom line $ imo. cheers.

ooooow ouuuuch!!

Your basic idea is right and I would also feel better about a guy starting out with this in a tree. Someone ties there knot wrong and its light out with this its as simple as hooking carabiners to the saddle as long as your rope had a spliced eye.

Latest posts

Back