Right Size Saw for a Lumber Maker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I started using one of these simple chainsaw attachments recently to cut lumber from the many many pines on my property.

It's fun and you get more than firewood, but making lumber seems to be a lot harder on a saw than cutting firewood and my current saws might be too small. I know for sure that a 20-inch bar is essential. But I'm not quite sure what size saw would be best. The saws I run now are in the 45-50cc range and I think that I could use more power, but how much?

Anyone with experience cutting lumber with chainsaws here? If so, what size saw do you find best for making lumber?

Years ago, I used a Jonsred 920. It died awhile ago so the replacement is a 2171, not to heavy and moderate power. It'll run up to a 38" bar. backup is a Husky 394.
Ed K

Most guys would say that the 2171 Jons is about entry level, as would it's competitors in the 70cc size range. I've used saws as small as 54cc, but it's tough, slow going. I'm doing a little cutting with a 395 Husky now, a friend has a Stihl 066 with an Alaskan set-up, and they're fine for the slim little twigs we mill here in Mn. These saws are in the 90cc range, and seem to do OK here...Most trees are about 12"--24" on the butt. Nothing like the monsters I see guys bragging about in other parts of the country.

I think I'd be in the market for a Stihl 088 or maybe a Husky 3120 if I had really big wood to saw. If I only had small softwoods, like pines and spruce up to maybe 60" circ., maybe the 70cc saws would be OK.

Hmmm....

Thanks.

Those are larger saws than I was previously considering and I'm beginning to see why....

The "mill" I'm using is the guide that clamps on your bar and you run it along a 2x4 screwed down on the log. Nothing fancy but it works well.

I'll have to go out and measure some of my trees. I'm looking at a couple of big red pines out my front window that block the sun to my solar panels. They are beauties and I hate to cut them, but making lumber gives me a good excuse to commit the crime....

Red pines are easy to mill when green, but don't let those suckers season or its like cutting oak. At least that was my experience. The butt logs are full of sap and pitch and heavy as sh!t. Happy milling. 3120 would be my recomendation.

The biggest trees I'd be "milling" are red pines of about 75 inches circumference at gut level. But those would be the rare largest ones now blocking sun from my solar panels. Most others would be thinned from stands and I would take smaller stuff that I'm pretty sure a 70cc saw could handle, although a little bigger would be nice.

It seems to me that a 20-inch bar would be right. With the 16-bar I'm using now, I get up to 11-inches of cutting depth. Add 4-inches would give me 15-inches of cutting depth. That's good. With a 24-inch bar I think it would be too easy to cut into the ground or my shoe. (Not obsessed with inches, am I?)

I know that I better stop using this Jonsered 2050 before I burn it up. It's chain oiler is not up to the task of cutting firewood, let alone milling lumber. I'm working on a good sized jackpine right now. One straight 8 foot log out of it.

Milling with a chain saw is the hardest work you can ask a saw to do. It is
under constant load and full throttle, most of the time. The components are
loaded and stressed at all times. The mix, oilier and carburetor adjustments
are critical if you are going to expect any longevity from your saw. The
maintenance of your saw is so much more important for a milling saw than for
the occasional wood cutter. A clean air filter, good spark plug, and clear
muffler screen are essential for top notch operation. The cooling fins on
the cylinder must be kept clear and clean. A milling saw should have ample
power for the required tasks. Are you going to mill large logs or small
ones? What type of wood is it you are milling? The hard and dense woods are
generally harder to cut than the soft woods. Walnut boroughs, which contain
some dirt or gravel, are the toughest milling of all. Only an old rail road
tie would be harder, and I don't think people mill those! Along with saw
maintenance you must also pay special attention to the bar and chain. The
chain should be the correct type for milling and must be kept sharp at all
times. The bar must be kept straight, true and square at all times.

With the foregoing in mind we should try to evaluate which saw will best fit
our needs. Saws are expensive to buy and maintain. It stings the pocketbook
to put out the kind of money necessary to buy a mill and milling saw. The
idea is to create the lumber or beams we need at the most economical price.
Heck, if money was not important we could just call the local lumber store
and order the best they have in the size we want. So then economy is
important. I think that this saving money thing can be taken too far though.
A little extra money spent at the onset can pay large dividends in the
future. Personally I would prefer to see a person have a saw that is over
four cubic inches in displacement for any kind of milling. As the size of
wood goes up, I feel the size of saw should also. The very biggest saws that
are made usually have additional features which are handy to have when
milling. The 3120 Husqvarna and 088 Stihl have an extra oiling feature and
the rugged bearings, extra cooling capacity, and brute power make them
excellent choices for milling. I feel these are the top of the line but at
$1200+ they are also expensive. Lets consider a few more saws that might get
the job done for milling. The trend for modern saws is for more speed from
the engine. This equates to faster cutting time and more horsepower. The
wood cutters and timbers fallers like this. It helps to get the job done
quickly. This is not necessarily a good thing for milling. Some speed is
good but when a saw is constantly buzzing along at 12,000 RPM things get
worn out or broken in a hurry. For this reason I think that a user must be
aware of the saw he is using and what its strong and weak points may be. The
favorite of most woods savvy guys today is the 066 Stihl. It is not too
heavy. It cuts fast and it has extra power when cutting larger trees. Do I
think it would make a good mill saw? Well yes and no. It will do a fine job
if everything is right. The operator will have to keep on top of things to
make sure he is not over-revving or over-stressing the saw when cutting. The
Husqvarna 394 might be a tad bit slower in the woods but would be a little
better for milling. Both saws are about the same displacement but the 394
might just be a little longer lasting in a milling operation. Keep this
illustration in mind when comparing saws. Used saws can do the job if you
are sure they are in tip top condition and you maintain them correctly. Some
of the older "big" saws made by Stihl, Husky, Homelite and Mcculloch are
good candidates for milling. If you can get a reconditioned saw, which has
had a new piston fitted, for a reasonable price, you could have the best
combination of value and reliability.
Mike

That is very useful information Rupedoggy, thanks for posting it.

I wonder which older "big" models of the various brand saws he's talking about there? I've seen some old honking big Homelites lying around, but or does he mean newer stuff? I wish he would have stated some specific models.

But from the little amount of milling I know he is right about the stress and strain. My 2050 is fine for firewood cutting, but its going to have a heart attack milling. I already "lunched" an 024 getting started with this new hobby -- which is great!

It makes sense that the really BIG saws won't have to work as hard...but can I afford one?

Older big saws, except for real antiques like from the early '60s or older, mill well enough. Gear drive models would last the longest, but then you'd probably die of old age getting through a log. :)

The most popular used milling saws seem to be from the '70s. Homelites like the 750 and 2100, Stihl 070, 076, and 090, Husqvarna 2100, Dolmar 153 and 166. I don't know anyone who's milled with one, but I'd also think the Jonsereds 111. Not much power for the size--that's good for this kind of work.

I don't know anyone who's milled with one, but I'd also think the Jonsereds 111. Not much power for the size--that's good for this kind of work.

john, i always knew those jonesy's were wimpy, now you just confirmed it! get a McC sp125 and you can use that 111 for an anchor.

You saying I have an impotent Jonsey? :)

Seriously, it's not a weak saw, but it does produce a little less than others of its time. Of couse, it is an older design by a few years. Here's what some searching turned up:

Jonsereds 111 110cc 4.8kw
Dolmar 153 100cc 5.2kw
Husqvarna 2100CD 99cc 4.9kw

I'm not sure what the 111cc Stihl 076 was. I think it was a little higher than most others.

I use the Granberg mini-mill, which is basically an edger type of mill. I have used a Stihl 270, 440 and 460 with this. As long as I was just edging and not trying to cut the middle of the timbers the smaller 270 worked fine, but the 440 was nice.

To cut the edged logs into timber for drying I use the Granberg small log mill (20" Alaskan version) I use the 440 or 460. The 440 worked good in maple up to about the max 20" of this mill. The 460 does have some more grunt to it.

I have never milled the great big slabs but cut up local Minnesota and Wisconsin, Maple, Cherry, Walnut and Oak mainly. Like I said I edge them and cut them down to fit the smaller mill I use and then the 440 or 460 work great for me.

Keep the chains sharp and be careful.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Newby Solo-noid

Well, I took the bait and ordered a online "refurbed" Solo 690. The price was too tempting to pass up and I'm a sucker for bargains. This looks like one.

The guy on the phone stood by the story that these are "refurbished" units from trade shows, etc. and not because they won't pass EPA regs (as stated on other threads). Who knows. Claims it will have a new saw 2 year warranty with it. Said that if I have trouble with it and can't find a local dealer that I can send direct to Solo headquarters for repair. I just have my fingers crossed that it will run good out of the box. I'm mostly a fix-it-myself guy anyway.

Looks like a great saw with good specs for milling. Design came out in 1991 so it must be proven by now. Hopefully there are parts for it readily available. German designed. German made. Red and Black. Since this is a big saw (90cc) I opted for the 24-inch bar.

Be sure and let us all know how it works out. I have had my eye on them for some time now but did not want to take the chance.

Jonathan

I'm still using a Sachs/Dolmar 166 that I bought in 1987. I use an alaskan setup. I've milled both hard and soft wood, got stacks of it.(2700 bd ft oregon white oak, all clear(no knots) for flooring, about 1700 bd ft oregon black oak, for cabinets, ash, sugar pine, doug fir, western red cedar, incense cedar,live oak(REALLY HARDWOOD). Friends say I like to mill my firewood before I burn it,lol, cause I'll mill anything. Doing tree surgery, etc, got all my logs for free, plus the mills don't like dead wood(usually) so I've milled alot of dead wood, which is hard. I like to see the grain patterns of each cut. I think you get better lumber than what you can buy. When I went to restore the 12' bed of my 1945 chevy truck, I was going to buy white oak. They wanted over $400 for less than a 100 bd ft. The rest is history...milled my own. Want to mill up some madrone someday.

Back