ripping wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well, I just found out that they awarded the job to somebody else. No big deal. My contact over there is a bit wierd anyways.

I was passing by today to go to another job, and noticed that there was a company working on the property.

I had bid:
3 monster norway spruce, and 2 smaller ones for removal
3 larger sugar maples for removal, and 1 for pruning
1 smallish hemlock removed, 1 smaller cherry removed

All stumps ground, all wood gone, all chips gone.

Price: $16,500

The company driving by today looked to be finished, because I drove by once at 1:00? and then again around 2:30. At 2:30 they were GONE, no trace.

This is what they had done, unsure of their price though:
removed 1 monster norway spruce, and the 2 smaller ones
removed the hemlock and the cherry.

Stumps were still there, chips were gone, and there was a 30 yard container full of spruce logs waiting to be hauled off. The container is gonna cost them $800 to get rid of roughly... probably more seeing as how it's packed full. I know they had a machine on site, because when I drove by the first time they had an equipment trailer there, 2 trucks, and a 250XP. Plus the size they cut those logs to, there's no way even a couple of guys were going to move them to where they were.

Everything was gone though the second time.

What bothers me here is not whatever price they may or may not have given... but instead that I was asked to give a bid on 11 trees with everything being removed, vs. what they actually had done.

I was passing by today to go to another job, and noticed that there was a company working on the property.

I had bid:
3 monster norway spruce, and 2 smaller ones for removal
3 larger sugar maples for removal, and 1 for pruning
1 smallish hemlock removed, 1 smaller cherry removed

All stumps ground, all wood gone, all chips gone.

Price: $16,500

The company driving by today looked to be finished, because I drove by once at 1:00? and then again around 2:30. At 2:30 they were GONE, no trace.

This is what they had done, unsure of their price though:
removed 1 monster norway spruce, and the 2 smaller ones
removed the hemlock and the cherry.

Stumps were still there, chips were gone, and there was a 30 yard container full of spruce logs waiting to be hauled off. The container is gonna cost them $800 to get rid of roughly... probably more seeing as how it's packed full. I know they had a machine on site, because when I drove by the first time they had an equipment trailer there, 2 trucks, and a 250XP. Plus the size they cut those logs to, there's no way even a couple of guys were going to move them to where they were.

Everything was gone though the second time.

What bothers me here is not whatever price they may or may not have given... but instead that I was asked to give a bid on 11 trees with everything being removed, vs. what they actually had done.

Did you quote with each tree as an individual price or as a total lump sum?

I always quote a la carte, so the customer can decide if they want the entire package or only those items that are priority if their budget isn't large enough. Although I usually walk the property and make comments on the quote if I see work that is obviously needed. I think it is professional to inform the customer on the condition of the trees and shrubs on their property and I think is another selling feature of our company.

Back