Risky Oak (bad tree)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on this tree

Finally got the go ahead on this tree and will do it Monday. I went out and braced it up today with a 4 ton come along , logging chain and a ratchet strap. Didn't pull it together mind you, I just snugged it up to shore it up and help absorb any shock it might encounter while I rig off of it. Here is some pics. I'll take more Monday.

badtree001.jpg

badtree002.jpg

badtree003.jpg

badtree004.jpg

badtree005.jpg

I hate to say it.. but take it down. Looking at the pictures again and again I seriously think if you don't do it now then you or somebody else will be back in a couple of years to do it. Save the owner money, and take it now. But be careful.

Oh it's definitely coming down. That decision was made a couple of months ago. It has just been a question of money (or lack thereof). That's why I went out there to shore it up and reevaluate it. Wanted to take another look and get a game plan in my mind. It will be on the ground Monday. Kind of hate loosing this one. I have been working in it for about 5 years now. Have been in it 4 or 5 times. It was a gorgeous tree before the ice, fungus and insects got it. Kind of feels like I'm putting an old friend down.

If I'm concerned, I'll rig smaller pieces, cut & chuck what I can and fix the grass later. Like it has been said earlier, If it can withstand that much wind, it will most likely hold you and a little rigging. Still is a little uneasy being above a hole in a tree that you are in. (Worse if your rigging to the same tree). Good luck on Monday.

Cabling the two trunks together permanently and doing a light pruning when you inspect it every 2 years is another idea; one that would yield far more income, while delivering steady benefits to the owner.

Good God.:dizzy:

I would pull over the left stem, all at once.

Seems like you will be able to do it fine. Pull test both sides before entering. Swing and drop. You've got it all worked out.

Hammer time Monday huh?
Right On, you'll be fine.

Good Luck anyway but yeah you'll be fine.
01011101020201040220071025722d342e1.jpg

pull test on tree

How are you exactly administering a pull test on a tree?

Before I climb to a TIP that I have set remotely (i.e. that I have set with a throwline), I have a groundie and myself hang on the rope and bounce a bit, checking the TIP should hold my weight just fine, and at the same time check for any defects to move or creak. I'd pull test both sides before climbing or rigging off of them by this method.

There's my buddy. Been wondering where you been Ray Ray. 'preciate the vote of confidence.
Thanks for asking. Actually I have been watching alot of YouTube videos, on learning to play the drums the last few days and practicing.

I've always wanted to learn the drums and so does my 13 year old son. I picked up a nice set off Craigslist the other day.

I emailed 6 different people asking if they could use some tree work for their drum set.
One guy bit. Took two and a half hours with my son and I to get this set.

And later today I'm heading to his dads to look at some other tree work.

Any drummers in the group? We'll take any help/pointers we can get.
0607090837.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for asking. Actually I have been watching alot of YouTube videos, on learning to play the drums the last few days and practicing.

I've always wanted to learn the drums and so does my 13 year old son. I picked up a nice set off Craigslist the other day.

I emailed 6 different people asking if they could use some tree work for their drum set.
One guy bit. Took two and a half hours with my son and I to get this set.

And later today I'm heading to his dads to look at some other tree work.

Any drummers in the group? We'll take any help/pointers we can get.
0607090837.jpg

I could help you out, Ray. Haven't had my kit out in at least 2 years but I bet my chops are still there. Sling your boy and set over to upstate, NY and I'll show you a thing or two.

I eased into this job with a couple 500 pounders, give or take then put it to the test with about a 1500 pounder,tip tied and lowered with the block. Every piece of the left side was blocked down. Blocked and lowered a few off the right side to begin with just to take a little weight off that side before I blocked the big stuff off the left side. My last two blocks were in the 2500-3000 pound range. The two big pieces are pictured on the ground. A couple of true pucker situations today but all in all it went smooth.

badtree001-1.jpg

badtree002-1.jpg

badtree003-1.jpg

badtree004-1.jpg

badtree005-1.jpg

badtree010.jpg

badtree011.jpg

badtree012.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back